overall

RATINGS: 2221   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

philippem (105) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 27, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2009 Une India Dark Ale explosive où houblons sautillants et choco-moka fondant / fondu viennent se rencontrer pour mieux s’embrasser en bouche. Rôti et agrumes sont également au rendez-vous. Une robe noire qui pourrait faire rougir la plus impérieuse des Stout Impériales! Un autre chef-d’oeuvre de Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
buzzoven (376) - JAPAN - JUN 26, 2008
Very malty, hoppy black IPA that manages to be aggressive, yet mild and medium bodied at the same time. Poured a black ruby brown from the bottle with a nice tan creamy head. There is some brandy on the nose and a heavy roasted taste. Then the finish kick in and, wow! The finish is incredibly complex, with at least 4 stages of subtle change on the tongue. A tingling sensation followed by some sharp hints of bitterness, then a rollicking wave on the tastebuds that settles into a smooth, refined exit. Truly great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
can8ianben (1392) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Hmm. It is true that it is hoppy and dark, but this could have just as easily been labeled as an imperial stout or some kind of imperial porter. Its very dark and very hoppy. Lots of hops in the aroma, and loads of rich malt in the flavor. A big tan fluffy head, notes of charred meat, plums, raisins, and cereal. Confusing as it is, it is also very tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bigmmartin (603) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2008
On Tap at Bier Tasting event at Boston’s Bistro & Pub. Extremely black and extremely odd. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but was glad that I got the chance to sample this beer. Stout + IPA = 11 Anniversary? Roasted malt with nice strong hops.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - JUN 21, 2008
Interesting. Very dark burgundy/black with a lot of hops in the nose, but then as you drink the malt becomes very apparent. This was very smooth, surprising, and good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
nefarious (220) - Waterford, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2008
Murky dark brown pur with a cream colored carbonated fluffy head. Chocolate, fruits and a malty earthy flavor that I dont much care for.....a little odd. Bitter finish mild hops. I’m dissapointed by this I think I may have a had bad bottle cause stone is usually solid. If I get the chance I would like to try it again

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
this has mellowed a bit since i sampled it on tap at stone brewing world bistro gardens back in january. the complexity is coming through nicely. it looks like a porter with a hind of red. lls of dark ripe fruit....lots of character in the nose, a hint of tobbacco maybe licorice. high acidity, big body, this beer has a delightfully long chewy finish while somehow remaining refreshing even at the high abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HonkeyBra (3685) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
UPDATED: APR 2, 2010 Pours black with a tan frothy head. Nose is pine and citrus hops. Taste starts as a hop bomb, but mellows a bit. If I were blindfolded, I would have thought this was an IPA. Everyone who hasn’t had this should be jealous. Re-rate 4/2/2010: Black pour with some tan head. A bit roasty aroma with strong hop presence. Mostly orange rind. Flavor is roasty and bitter. Again, mostly orange. Some resin. Very hoppy. Diggin it. Bumped it up a bit.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lakes (18) - post falls, Idaho, USA - JUN 10, 2008
Not for the feint of heart but what from Stone is? It’s darker than I expected with less head than I’d hoped for but the aroma is beyond pleasing. The boys at Stone are very fond of their Hops so I expected this beer to have a real bite. I was very happy though when it did not curl my nose hair. The hops is very pronounced but so well balanced that even someone who is not a huge hops fan (like myself) will be impressed. The malts were rich, strong and satisfying. This is an excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
omhper (20758) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JUN 10, 2008
Bottled at Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Almost black, small head. Evident grapefruity hop aroma. Drya nd fairly clean with streamlined but well rounded body. Really well hopped with loads of grapefruit and a vital body of cookie malt. Perhaps the black colour is fooling my brian, but I seem to get some licorice as well. An impressive brew in typical Stone Brewing fashion.