RATINGS: 2231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Were brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
carl4beer (522) - Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA - JUL 11, 2008
UPDATED: APR 4, 2009 22oz. when a beer is just GREAT, i end up drinking many 22s before finally rating, so this now has a year of time on it. as goes with all the stone aniv. ales... pours dark with a tan creamy head. aroma is pine and a hint of chocolate. mouthful has a big pine resinous up front big malty back bone. very nice... big, complex, and i am happy i have 4 more....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Surly (20) - Michigan, USA - JUL 11, 2008
A must try. After one pint this immediately became my #1 favorite beer. Everything I love about IPAs, everything I like about a stout or dark lager. Amazingly complex.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LilBeerDoctor (3543) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 6, 2008
Bottle. Pours a dark brown/black with a huge gorgeous tan head that looks like a milkshake and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of citrus hops and sweet roasted malt. Flavor of roasted malt, light citrus hops, alcohol, and lots of sesame and wheat cracker as the beer warms. Nice and rich palate. Excellent and quite drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 5, 2008
Bottle. Truly unique! Without reading other peoples’ ratings, yeah, it’s pretty much a combination of a dark lager and an IPA. The dark malts blend nicely with the firm hoppiness to produce something great. Dark caramel, wheat, and pine are the words of the day. Definitely not a porter or stout, this is something different. Tarrish finish that sticks with you pretty good. You don’t really taste the alcohol, but you know it is there based on it being a Stone beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chrisafari (100) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 4, 2008
Growler fill from the Brewery. Pours dark black with a small white head. Slight aroma of hops. Flavor of malt and nice sweet hops. Flavor and aroma seem to have faded over the year. Had it earlier last year, and it was much better! OK.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aplusbreaks (330) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Pours a dark brown/black that little light makes it through. Has a nice tan head that hangs around for a bit and leaves some decent lacing. Aroma at the beginning of the glass its a blast of hops, but then the hops mellow out and the caramel and malt notes kick in. As for the flavor my first reaction was malts and and dark fruits, but the bitterness of the hops really kicks in at the end. I do recall this being a little better and more IPA like when I had it a few months back.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
travita (4531) - Frisco, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2008
Brown to black in color with a tan head. Smells of hops, caramel, malts, something else also that I could not quite put my finger on. Taste is slightly bitter, malts, roasty. Good balance between the hops and malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 29, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009 Bottle of Stone XI, thanks to Timmy300. I believe this one has crossed the line in terms of where it peaks. I could see the potential for this to be a black IPA, but it came more across as a very hoppy porter, regardless of the commercial deScription. Immensely bitter, the aroma and hop flavor has diminished and the roasted grains really press through at this point, some coffee and molasses. Still, a very nice beer that was surely a pleasure fresh.

doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Rich, inky black pour with little light shining through. A moderate off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Looks like black beer. Aromas of grapefruit, pine. No doubt about it, this is an IPA! Hops are not overpowering, but are blended nicely. As I drink this, if I close my eyes I swear Im drinking an IPA, but when I look at the beer, my brain says no way. Very interesting brew. I like it. A very clean finish. This is a smooth beer. The ABV is very well hidden. Overall, a very drinkable and unique beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
awautlet (45) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Pours a coffee like color with amber hues and a tan head. Ive never seen an IPA this dark. On the palate there is a malty start but a very complex finish with roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee. I never thought Id be saying chocolate and coffee while describing an IPA... stunning