overall

RATINGS: 2215   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
this has mellowed a bit since i sampled it on tap at stone brewing world bistro gardens back in january. the complexity is coming through nicely. it looks like a porter with a hind of red. lls of dark ripe fruit....lots of character in the nose, a hint of tobbacco maybe licorice. high acidity, big body, this beer has a delightfully long chewy finish while somehow remaining refreshing even at the high abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HonkeyBra (3643) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
UPDATED: APR 2, 2010 Pours black with a tan frothy head. Nose is pine and citrus hops. Taste starts as a hop bomb, but mellows a bit. If I were blindfolded, I would have thought this was an IPA. Everyone who hasn’t had this should be jealous. Re-rate 4/2/2010: Black pour with some tan head. A bit roasty aroma with strong hop presence. Mostly orange rind. Flavor is roasty and bitter. Again, mostly orange. Some resin. Very hoppy. Diggin it. Bumped it up a bit.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lakes (18) - post falls, Idaho, USA - JUN 10, 2008
Not for the feint of heart but what from Stone is? It’s darker than I expected with less head than I’d hoped for but the aroma is beyond pleasing. The boys at Stone are very fond of their Hops so I expected this beer to have a real bite. I was very happy though when it did not curl my nose hair. The hops is very pronounced but so well balanced that even someone who is not a huge hops fan (like myself) will be impressed. The malts were rich, strong and satisfying. This is an excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
omhper (20560) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JUN 10, 2008
Bottled at Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Almost black, small head. Evident grapefruity hop aroma. Drya nd fairly clean with streamlined but well rounded body. Really well hopped with loads of grapefruit and a vital body of cookie malt. Perhaps the black colour is fooling my brian, but I seem to get some licorice as well. An impressive brew in typical Stone Brewing fashion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mar (4994) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 9, 2008
bottle courtesy of bullzeye. black pour with a thin cream head. huge hops on the nose. great thickness and the hops are just perfect. this is so well balanced and such a good beer i’d drink it every day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
That1Guy (2025) - Greeley, Colorado, USA - JUN 9, 2008
So my Honkeybra’s pourin this one out, aight? And he says, "I think a chunk just fell out." I’m thinking to myself, "It had better have been a chunk of awesomeness." And I was right.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BlackDonald (1126) - Gulf Shores, Alabama, USA - JUN 4, 2008
Brwon Jug - This is completely different than what I was expecting. There are some hops in the nose, but it is much more of a sweeter maltiness, that follows through onto the palate where the hops become much more pronounced. This is a really unclassifiable style for me, it is kind of between a couple of them, a hybrid of sorts. It works though, this is really well balanced and a little on the rich side, but then follows through with some dry bitterness in the finish. Takes your palate in a lot of different directions.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nik925 (769) - USA - JUN 3, 2008
Awesome, the play between dark malt and hops is spot on. Slightly over bitter. Super dark. Stone should make this regularly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GMCC2181 (1545) - Newark, Delaware, USA - JUN 3, 2008
Bottle from beerlando. Pours a dark brown color, nice head... Smells sweet and malty. Taste is a mixture between a hoppy bitterness and roasted malt. As the commercial description says it really is a hybrid beer, not quite a stout but not an IPA eithier. Blended together very well. No trace of alcohol. Nice texture, it is a sipper. Over all excellent beer by Stone! Thanks brian for the beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - MAY 30, 2008
Pours brown with a tan head. Smells earthy with tea, raisins, nuts. Tastes of citrus, molasses, spice, pepper, brown sugar, caramel. Mouthfeel is full with a bitter finish. Very nice!