overall

RATINGS: 2091   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

faroeviking (10293) - FAROE ISLANDS - NOV 6, 2007
Bottle. Nice deep brown colour. Aroma of dark fruits, well toasted malt and alcohol. Good mouthfeel. The flavour is fruity and sweet with toasted malt and caramel, lots of hops and some noticeable alcohol. Dry fruity sweetish finish. Tasty brew indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ajm (1063) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 6, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2009 I was a tool to this beer when it came out. I found it too oily and too disunified. Maybe Stone’s watering down of their own recipes actually helped this beer. Nose was thick IPA and nice sweet malts: probably multiple kinds because this is mildly roasty and sweet and balanced well. Taste is a very relaxing hoppy beer like I have not had since BBC 30th. Really good. Original rating (it was early in my rating career): Clearly I didn’t like it. I’ve had three bombers just to be sure. I simply found that when you take the Pale out of an India Pale Ale you are left with something that tastes like a red but is as unrefreshing as a porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
roder60 (1282) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2007
Pours a deep black color with perfect amount of huge froathy tan head. ooks amazing. Aroma some roasted malts and huge hop presence - mostly piney and cirtus mix. Flavor is very hoppy - earthy hops overwhelming at first then mellow into nice roasted malt presence. Overall, excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 4, 2007
Bottle. Black with creamy tan head. Heavy cherry and alcohol aroma. Alcohol taste as it warms. A bit too heavy for me but I appreciate the richness and how developed the flavor is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - NOV 4, 2007
11/04/07 22 oz. bottle. Very dark, almost opaque mahogany with ruby highlights and a marvelous, enduring, frothy brown head that leaves a fine, sticky lace. Dark roasted, almost burnt, coffee and lots of fresh hops - primarily spruce and grapefruit zest. Medium body and carbonation, some astringency, and a very dry palate. Bitter up front, but with support from dark malty flavors, the grapefruit bitterness coming on stronger into the long, bitter finish. Tasted blind, I would have figured it for a lighter bodied, very dry and hoppy, American style stout. Whatever you want to call it, it’s damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dmac (3896) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - NOV 4, 2007
22 oz bottle, duh!! If you haven’t seen this one in person you won’t believe how dark this IPA is. Someone claims this to be a ASA but it’s more of an IPA or an IIPA. Pours a deep dark black, not Imerial Stout black but a very good looking deep black none the less. Aroma tons of citrus hops coupled with some roasted malts. Flavor.....AWESOME. Highly recommended. Stone please make this again..

TheBeerGod (5168) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - NOV 4, 2007
Bottle. Deep brown to near black pour. Small foamy tan head lingers for only a few seconds before vanishing. Aroma hits you with a hop - grapefruit one-two punch. Underneath this is roasty malts, soft caramel and pine oils. Taste continues the assault with more hops, grapefruit juice, pine cones and pine oils, roasty malts and light caramel. Without seeing this beer, I’d think big West Coast IPA. As the taste mellows and the leftovers linger in my mouth I’m tasting bigger fruit notes and not necessarily citrus fruit. Some soft nectarine, and maybe even honeydew along with hints of cherry. Body is medium-full and well rounded. Carbonation is present but not obtuse. Nice overall feel to this one. Ends with more pine oils, grapefruit juice, orange peel, hops, roasty malts, ripe fruits and soft caramel. Very drinkable and tasty West Coast hop bomb!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Braudog (5576) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - NOV 4, 2007
From the cool silk-screened bottle. Poured a deep, deep red-tinged black, with a firm but thin head. This has a big piney aroma of a west coast IPA. And it doesn’t drink too differently either ... slippery with hop oil, pine tar and a chewy dark fruit essence. Stone hits yet another homerun, packaging a big hoppy American beer in a dark wrapping. Exceptional. (#3171, 11/4/2007)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
frankenstein (64) - Livermore, California, USA - NOV 4, 2007
The aroma of burnt caramel, a touch of soy aroma in there. The appearance of dark, roasted barley, looks a lot like coffee. I do not pick up on the hops as much as I thought I would. Although it is an interesting brew it is not my favorite Stone beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheEpeeist (3277) - Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 4, 2007
22 oz bottle. Dark purple brown with creamy tan wisps. Rum-soaked raisins and orange caramel. Begins with a lemon quinine hop bite soon tamed by chocolate and malts. Orange and grapefruit juice reassert adding a bitter kick in the end. Strikes a nice balance, good stuff.