overall

RATINGS: 2105   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - OCT 20, 2007
Bottle via trade with Jake65. Loads and loads of pine on the nose. Tangerine and mango. Very one sided. Not a lot of malt but, damn, I sure like it! Pours rich, deep, dark brown, almost black with some mahogany attempting to shine through. Frothy, rich, ruby off-white head. Bountiful citrus and pine on the palate. Pleasantly bitter with some malt to balance. Mildly floral as well. Full bodied and creamy on the palate. Very nice stuff! Thanks Jake!

NachlamSie (2737) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 19, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2009 Bomber. Pours a really dark ruby color that basically looks black in normal light. A good tan head builds up then fades away to a small topping. I take a whiff, this stuff smells frigginí awesome. Iíve had a few IPAís lately, trying to find this kind of aroma. Itís bright and very well defined with juicy citrus, not quite grapefruit, biting pine, and melon. There is a bit of sweetness in there too, but I canít get anything definite through the delightful hoppy notes. After taking a sip, I decide this stuff tastes amazing in a surprisingly different way. I get many sweeter, breadier flavors that I couldnít find any real traces of in the aroma. I get berries, a bit of chocolate, oak, biscuits, and of course, more drying, sappy, spicy notes of pine , ganja, and citrus. The malts are fairly hearty but not roasty enough to make me think porter or stout, even though this sure as hell looks like one. This reminds me of Arrogant Bastard but with much more complexity in both the malt and hop qualities, and without necessarily being more intense. Stone definitely has a theme in the majority of their ales. They are a brewery that is so proficient in making robust American-styled ales, that they donít suffer, in my opinion, from not branching out. This is in the same vein as AB or their IPA, but itís just slightly different. This is completely solid in its own right and is another welcome offering.
[July 30, 2009]
Pours dark, near black actually. This is super hoppy and clean with defined pine and grapefruit. Pretty much signature Stone in the aroma. This is a bitter beer with huge hops everywhere, lots of herbal and citrus notes. The malty backbone is cool, clashes well with the insane hops. This is almost roasty with bittersweet chocolate, hints at earth and wood. This is remarkably clean and hugely flavorful. This works well. It is distinctly American and distinctly Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours a barely transparent dark copper mahogany with a spotty-lacing tan head. Aroma of faintly piny hoppy and slightly toasty dark caramel malt. I expected the aroma to be hoppier but itís about average for big IPAs. Starts sweet and dark caramely malty with some grapefruity hop balance and overall pretty drinkable toward a crisp, bittersweet finish. A nice dark IPA, but nothing that special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BuckeyeBoy (2649) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 19, 2007
22oz bottle pours out a dark brown topped with a tan head. A first all I could smell were a sweet floral hops. Then some roast. Tast of hops, roast malt and a little sweetness. Pretty good. But I think the 10th was better. I be happy to tast next years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Silphium (3161) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 19, 2007
If anything, Stone suffers from its lack of an identity crisis. I was enticed by the idea of an IPA paired with dark malts, as these beers often please my palate (see Founders Black Rye). Unfortunately, the Stone "signature" dominates 11th Anniversary Ale, by which I mean a thick, oily body dominated by resiny, biting, citrusy and piney hops that are strong enough to make this a failed differentiation from their regular IPA products. The chocolaty, dark malt characteristics are present, but not assertive enough. Itís as if Stone tried to branch out but decided to pull back and make another safe, unchallenging beer. On a positive note, the deep, translucent garnet red-brown body is a beauty. To my dismay, this elegance subsided to above-average but not intriguing upon imbibition.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours dark, real dark with a foamy white head that slowly fades. This one is hoppy, no question about it. This was quite a surprise, I had a dfh 90 minute before this and it is extremely similar, well as far as the hops go. The Stone XI has a mellowness that the the dark grains give off, but its hard to detect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Dark brown, huge tan head, oily lacing. Aroma very resinous, pine and citrus zest, not much for malt even as it warms. Flavor I just donít get. Again huge citrus and pine, quickly taken over by a bitter astringency-burnt malt profile and lingering aftertaste. Stone fan for the most part but this one just doesnít do it for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - OCT 18, 2007
Aroma is huge citrus hops and slight oakiness- strange. Taste is kinda oaky, tropical, piney, citrus. This is a very interesting beer- the color throws me. The taste is so hop-mixed and intricate, yet over-the-top off balance, itís great. The heat doesnít even make itself known. This is great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
performula (148) - Heart of the Rockies, Colorado, USA - OCT 17, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2007 I really wish I would have un-opened this one. Pours a brown with large head. Red Garnett when held to the light. Strong hops smell. Tastes fantastic. Citrus base with a hoppy roast finish. Very neutral indeed. Creamy, layered head residue after sips. This Black IPA is awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Speedle (266) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 17, 2007
dark brown near black pour with a huge dark tan head.....giant citrus hops aroma ...bitter hop pine taste with a great roasted malt balance...incredible beer...gonna stock up on a couple of these now...I donít thin I can handle holding onto this one for a while but Iím gonna try