overall

RATINGS: 2143   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
scoobysnak (329) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 16, 2007
This beer definately isnít for the faint of heart, although I canít think of many Stone brews that are. Definately one of a kind. Worth the try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rob897 (62) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 16, 2007
chalk up another great beer from Stone, this black IPA is fantastic, loved the hops in this one, definitely unique!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
theisti (3258) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - OCT 16, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2011
++++ RE-RATE 22 March 2011 ++++
22 oz bomber (Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale) given to me by friends. Pour is a hazed brown auburn with a somewhat loose two inch khaki head. Lasting head, falls with pretty lacing. Aroma is fresh orange citrus and pine hops, along with a gently roasted malt. Fresh and clean nose. Taste is the pine hops, along with the roast malt finishing with a pretty weird peanut shell taste and some hot booze. The after taste is dry, with notes of straw. The palate is medium bodied, though thins out at the finish, which has residual alcohol and entirely dries up the beer. There were aspects of this beer I enjoyed up front, though the thin boozy finish overwhelmed that. Thanks! 8,4,6,3,14 (3.5)

++++ RE-RATE 5 March 2008 ++++
22 oz. bomber (Stone 11th) courtesy of Gregis. Pour is deep brown with ruby and copper highlights. Big, bubbly tan head, that was quite lasting. Aroma of bright pine and citrus hops, with some malty graininess in the background. Taste features more malt than hop, though the hop shines through midway with some nice clean, bright, pine hoppiness. The citrus hop from the nose are also present. The after taste has a nice burnt - roast malt smokiness to it, and is very dry. This tasted as good as I had remembered, and was a bit surprised the hop character was still as strong as it was. Thanks for hauling this one back for me Greg. Bumped overall rating up one overall impression point. 7,4,8,4,16 (3.9)

++++ ORIGINAL RATING 16 October 2007 ++++
22 oz bottle (Stone 11th) shared by mreusch at my tasting, 10/12. Pour is opaque brown with almost no head (tan). Aroma initially of hops, then some malt. Taste is mostly malt, with some nice hop character - very bright at the end. Also get some smokiness. Nice, hope to get my hands on some more. Thanks for sharing Matt. 7,4,8,4,15 (3.8)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pleasesir (14) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - OCT 16, 2007
On tap at David Copperfields,NYC. Pours porter black w/ espresso coloured head that would of probably stuck aroung longer if I hadnít sucked it down to get at the beer. Deep garnet colour when held to the light. Aroma was at first sprucey with a flowery hop and a little ruby red grapefruit thing going on. But when it warms up you can smell the alcohol along with some brown sugar and a little raisin. Good balanced bitterness at first then all kinds of things happen once you swallow. What the hell is a black IPA? Who knows? Who Cares?? Get it while you can, itís in the bottle everywhere, but thereís nothing like a nice fresh pint on demand!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Draft. Aroma: Slight roasted malt flavor with a touch of brown sugar. Big hop nose with a lot of citrus, tropical fruits, floral, and pine. Appearance: Dark brown in color with reddish highlights. Light tan head was full and frothy with good retention. Good lacing. Flavor: Some roasty flavors upfront with notes of toffee, smoke, cocoa. Hops kick in big with a bunch of citrus and mango, pine and resin, floral and light grass. Lots of sticky bitterness. Finishes dry with a bit of astringency. Palate: Medium-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Overall: This was good, but Iím not sure if Iíd buy a bottle. Bitterness was a bit harsh at times and hung around long after drinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Being a black IPA I was expecting more burnt/roasted malt flavors. But itís more of an IPA than anything else. Although it is black in color the huge citrusy hops are really all I smell or taste. I guess thereís so much hops they cover everything else up! Still a damn good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopscotch (9228) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2008 Bottle (tried again at RBSG í08)Ö This beer rocks!... The wet Simcoe hops definitely kicked this baby’s flavor up a notch... from 3.8 to 4.0... Origninal rating... Clear, deep, dark mahogany ale with a large, creamy, beige head. Great retention. Big-time grapefruit smacks me right in the nose. Lesser, burnt notes of charcoal and ash. Thereís dark chocolate in here as well, but make no mistake, the hops run the show. Sweet caramel and chocolate flavor right up front; then tannic, abrasive, pine needle and grapefruit pith bitterness. Full-bodied and astringent with medium carbonation. Burnt, bitter-as-hell, dry-as-hell finish. Thanks to growler for sending this one my way!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MIBRomeo (2561) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Dark pour, huge frothy sticky lacing of that tan head. Hoppy aroma, citrus, fruits, definate cereals. Avg pal. Nice overly bitter, touch of grassiness in the finish. Bitter front w/ good caramel and alcohol overly prevelant. Not to bad, had better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jhanske (18) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Truly deceptive! I held my initial purchase up to the flourescent lights in the grocery store to check the color and was thoroughly stumped and intrigued. At home I was convinced I was tasting a malty concotion. Instead I was treated to a black IPA!!!. I had to confirm what I was tasting with my wife and my son. ( He hates bitter and knew by the smell this beer was bitter!!!). Well needless to say I ended up purchasing a case of 22ozís. Hats off to Stone for such a singular beer. Potent and mysterious, strong and unforgiving. This beer insists upon your full attention and respect. I handed out three of the 22oz from my case and all the recipients had different yet positive repsonses to this ale. Certainly an ale for the ages!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Black in color with a large and lasting head. Hop and some citrus aromas. Bitter grapefruit taste and finish.