overall

RATINGS: 2040   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
theviolet (173) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 21, 2007
Bomber poured into a goblet. Wow, strong aroma hits immediately. Tangerine and hops. The citrus is very strong. Exceptionally dark brown with a small light brown head. Very strong flavors, lots of hops throughout. You can really taste the roast and the malt in the finish and aftertaste. You can also taste a lot of citrus. Very nice on the palate, full and bubbly. A really interesting beer that I would definetely try again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
nolankowal (923) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 21, 2007
Bomber. Black pour with a light-ish tan head that turns to a sticky film around my $1 piece of fine glassware. Aromas of lightly smokey roasted malt, tropical fruits, light pine and citrus all seem to be present...a bit of yeast and just a touch of bakers chocolate. In the flavor thereís also a nice roasty malt flavor with a tinge of vinous dryness but they seem to take a bit of a back seat once the strong citrus/tropical fruit/pine hops come through...quite a whallop midway till it reaches the back giving even ground to the roasted malt character. Medium bodied with solid carbonation...starts roasty and bouces back and from resiny and bitter to roasty, somewhat dry, somewhat smokey...in the very end as the bitter hop finish dissapates the roasty character comes back and smooths it out subtly. Really nice brew which should be interesting and more than likely almost a different beer in a year...then again those hops were pretty strong.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
notalush (4640) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 21, 2007
Dark brown, english porter-looking appearance, with a frothy tan head - hop aroma explodes from the glass as I pour, and I havenít even put the glass near my nose yet - simcoe and amarillo overwhelm the nose, but underneath you can detect faint undercurrents of roasted malts, and peaty, smokey smells - medium sweet up front, with some chocolate and roasted malt stout-like flavors - dry hop character bitch slaps those flavors off the tongue pretty fast, though - roasty and smokey notes linger underneath, though, and actually compliment the piney/woody, extreme hop profile - sticky sweetness shows its face again, bringing with it some dried cherries and a bit of caramel - a little alcohol heat near the end - another in-your-face hop monster from Stone, but she is a pretty tasty one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
greenhorn1 (782) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 20, 2007
22 oz bottle from BottleTrek.com. Holy shit this stuff is good...black IPA is an appropriate style name. Pours a dark walnut with a thick, creamy head and will not dissappear. Big hoppy aroma, nice combination of hop variety, dry hopped is evident. Nice balance of bitterness and sweetness in the flavor. Bold citrus characteristic, roasty flavors. Medium to full body with a oily/creamy mouthfeel. Long bitterness finish like you would find in an IPA. Definite noticability of alcohol. This will be even better cellared for a year or so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerVirgin72 (880) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - SEP 20, 2007
First of all, I am absolutely giddy that I found an IPA that I actually ENJOYED...WOO HOO. I dont normally like them, you see! Had on tap at Brews in Granville. Poured VERY dark brown, nice cream head. This was GOOD. Truly! Sweet roasted malt taste up front. Some sort of fruity taste in the middle, and followed by hops, but not OVERLY hoppy which is usually the problem I have with IPAís...This was truly a delightful brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
shigadeyo (2964) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - SEP 20, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2013
Rating #1100

9/19/2007: I was quite surprised when we opened up the bottle of Stone 11th Anniversary Ale and starting pouring it. I figured it would be a lighter/golden color, but it wasnít it. This beer is deep brown in color and is opaque in the glass as it absorbs most of the surrounding light. The pour also creates a big, cascading, dense tan/brown-colored head that then leaves slicky, foamy lacing on the glass. After admiring the appearance for awhile, the aroma shocked me as it was also unexpected at first (and then I read the bottle). HOPS! Tons of fresh hop cones with a tinge of alcohol and citrus underneath the fresh, green hoppiness. The flavor is a dichotomy and slightly confused. First comes the thick, dark caramel maltiness. Then the sicky, piny hops hit. It has a medium-full to full body and is smooth on the palate. It isnít creamy and syrupy, but it sure coats the mouth well. This is a BIG beer! Itís good right now, but I think this beer has the potential to be awesome in 6 months to a year or more. Time to hunt down a few bottles for the cellar...

22 fl oz bottle ( 8.7% alc/vol) shared by Tmoney99. Thanks Tom! Rating #95 for this beer. Rating: 7/4/8/3/16=3.8
. . . . . . . . . .

September 2007 Vintage

9/01/2009: Stone XI 11th Anniversary Ale... Aroma: Wonderful caramelized maltiness with a hefty citrus hoppiness. Appearance: Golden brown color with a dense darge beige/ivory-colored head that is long lasting and leaves attactive lacing. Flavor: Really nice blend of sweet malts and bitter hops; bitterness is citrusy (grapefruit) along with some sweeter candied orange; moderate bitterness overall; really nice lightly coffee-like finish (roasty, slightly acidic, coffee bitterness) with a hint of apricot and tobacco; each drink makes you come back for another! Palate: Medium to mediuum-full, milky texture, extremely smooth, slightly creamy. Overall: This is a great dark IPA and really a definitive example of the style.

1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz. bottle ( 8.7% Alc/Vol). Rating: 8/3/8/4/16=3.9
. . . . . . . . . .

1/27/2011: Stone XI Anniversary Beer... Aroma: Citrus hard candy; semi-sweet chocolate syrup. Appearance: Jewel brown color thatís mostly opaque; no lasting foam on top. Flavor: Sweet chocolate and citrus syrup/hard candy; decent bitterness that fades off rapidly; king of a flash in the pan, but still good; more leafy hops followed by some tobacco in the finish; definitely packing some alcohol. Palate: Medium body; slightly sticky on the lips; silky smooth going down; a bit low on carbonation (would really help to make this pop again). Overall: Good and easy to drink, but lacking its original complexity.

22 fl. oz. bottle shared by Tmoney99. Thanks Tom! Score: 3.5

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 20, 2007
On-tap at Hamiltons. Pours with a dark reddish-brown body topped by a medium thick, off-white head with lots of lacing. Itís very bitter and hoppy with a stomg piney note, a little pepper and a hint of grapefruit. A little bit of underlying malty sweetness shows through as well as some sourness. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Gadsden, Alabama, USA - SEP 20, 2007
22 oz bottle enjoyed with crab stuffed fillet and a crazy tomato-mozzarella-roasted pepper-basil tower thing I made. It went quite well with the dish. Pours chestnut-walnut-black with a light brown head. Fairly opaque. The aroma has pine and citrus hops surrounded by toasted and roasted grains. There are hints of brightness and coffee roasted sweetness that are hard to pin down. Very enjoyable though. The flavor is even a bit better than the aroma suggests. A well balanced but potent flavor combination that is very well integrated. Roasted grain with citrus hops, tons of spruce and hints of coco. Bitter roasted grain, hop coffee finish with hints of sweetness deep down. Creamy round mouth feel with a dry finish. Very good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale Łber alles, Arizona, USA - SEP 20, 2007
bottled and on tap @ papago...bottled version is nearly black with a fluffy tan head that trails behind the beer in the glass. seriously hoppy aroma with notes of chocolate, hay and floral qualities. wood, dark roasted malts and chocolate are flavors that are dominated by the hops. coffee aftertaste with a bit of nuttiness are once again overpowered by some aggressive hops. take a bit of everything stone brews and pour it into one glass=stone XI....3.5 on tap...much sweeter aroma with more pronounced citrus/grapefruit. creamier/rich mouth feel. malts,chocolate,earth and softer tones are amped up. 4.0 certainly over hyped but i could drink it all night. iíll give it a year to let the hops fade....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 20, 2007
From a 22oz Bottle. Pours a very dark, mostly transparent brown color with some ruby hues and a thick layer of foamy gray-ish tan head. Huge hop nose, bursting with leafy Chinook and catty Simcoe. I think Iím getting a hint of nutty malts, but itís mainly just dank. Medium bodied, softly carbonated mouthfeel with a cutting hop edginess. Very odd texture considering the aroma. It has a distintly soft maltiness coupled with a harsh hop bite. I think I might actually enjoy this a lot more with a different hop selection. Some chewy chocolate nougat and smooth caramels rest gently on the palate, while a prickling assault of pulpy grapefruit hop pith tingles the top and sides of my mouth. The citrus definitely overwelms the roasty flavors. I find myself wanting to become more intimately familiar with the malt bill, but the hops, a one dimensional white grapefruit bomb, keeps interupting the introduction. I just breathed in some of this elixir, and I now feel like somebody just tried to drown me in late winter spruce resin. Regaining my senses, I find some gentler, more tobacco-like caramels floating in before it finishes with a final hop blow. Well constructed, but definitely strives for polarity rather than harmony.