overall

RATINGS: 2145   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2007
Lots o hops in the aroma, but not like an IPA. Lots of up front hops and bitterness, pretty one sided and not very interesting. Still good though.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - SEP 29, 2007
Poured a clear deep brown with ruby highlights and an off-white head. Strong piney hop aroma over a lightly sweet roasted malt. Big hop forward piney flavor with roasty malt poking through. Moderate to large bitter finish, nice warmth and a medium body.

MrBunn (2461) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2007
Bottle. Odd thing about this is that the aroma and the appearance have nothing to do with eachother. Iím looking at this almost black body with a massive tan head, but the aromas I pick up are of pine, grapefruit and pineapple hops. So Iím a little confused on first sip as I pull back and enjoy that hops experience that is so Stone. Reminiscent of last yearís model, the hops are the main focus, and I find it hard to pick up any of the malts. Iím sure that it must be roasty, but with all that hops I canít pick up on anything much. That said, the hops are balanced nicely and never get out of control. Different, thatís for sure. I would love to have the patience to let one of these sit for a few years to see what it will do.

CheesedMan (555) - Saint Cloud, Florida, USA - SEP 29, 2007
Thanks SoLan!!!! Very deep brown, almost black color. Aroma is very hoppy upfront, citrusy and bright. There are some pretty strong malty notes coming out as well. Flavor was hoppy and bold. With some spiciness and roasted flavors that work nicely against the dark malt. Very nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dmtroyer (431) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2007
22oz. This is one of the most exciting beers I have poured in a long time, having never had anything in this style. Pours coca-cola dark with a dense, almost tan head. Awesome carbonation that leaps up the side of the glass. Lots of bitter citrus in the nose and body that lends itself to grapefruit if you are so inclined. Intense malt and hop that integrates well with citrus, and hides the alcohol extremely well. Fairly original in its flavor profile coupled with such a refreshing body. I personally feel a "richer, creamier" palate would be inappropriate with the carbonation. thinking about buying a case before it disappears.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - SEP 29, 2007
Courtesy SoLan. Pours a dark brown, with an off white head. Bubbly. Pretty big hop aroma, alot of grapefruit citrus, and some dusty malts in there too. Pretty inviting smelling. The taste was very sharp, pretty big carbonation, fizzled in the mouth alot. There was a mix of grapefruit hops, sweet cinnamon and caramel malts. The hops really stood out in the finish and lingered in the aftertaste with some bitterness. I liked the blend of each of the ingredients. It made for pretty big flavor. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - SEP 28, 2007
Dark brown with impressive light brown head formation and retention. Interesting aroma - some fairly prominent crystal malts light citric hops and a weird wet leaf/pumpkin aroma that I donít care for. Flavor is much more in line with what Iíd expect. Somehow the roasted malt notes stay subdued and integrate with the bright, juicy citric hop flavors fairly well. There are problems with the citric acidity and the roast being a bit overwhelming together .This is sort of the same concept as Drakeís Expedition, only the hops come through more prominently in the flavor here, although the Drakes is more drinkable. I do love this concept though. Sharply carbonated finish; a richer, creamier palate would have helped here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - SEP 28, 2007
Bottle. Aroma of some roasted malt, some smokiness, citrus hops undertones. The flavor is a mostly the roasted malt up front, followed by piney / fruit rind bitterness and bitter chocolate malt. Lingering bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 28, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2008 Bottle from Whole Foods in Vienna, VA. Pours a cola brown with a tan head. Aroma of Fruity hops, nuts, and roast. Medium bodied with average carbonation. Initial flavor of dark malts and sap that transitions to an aggressive grapefruit and pine bitterness. Bitter finish is dry with notes of peanut shells and grapefruit rind. This tastes a little green to me. I am also not a fan of dark roast blended with aggressive bitterness. I hope this will improve with some cellar time, so that the flavors can meld. Now I just need to find another bottle so I can find out.

I opened one of these in June 2008, and the hop presence is still there, and the flavors have melded, improving this a bit in my book. I am still not loving the concept of a Black IPA , but one year is better than fresh for me. I wish I had another to cellar for another year, but we do not get many cases in Nashville

CASK VERSION WITH WET SIMCOE HOPS. Totally different beer and should be allowed on a beer database, but I guess Stone is not in the UK. Greg Koch was nice enough to grab me a pint. Pours dark brown with a light beige creamy head. Great fruity wet hop aroma. Medium to light bodied with a creamy texture and soft carbonation. Taste? Wow. All of the flavors melded nicely on this one. The tame malt backbone of milk chocolate and caramel really blends nicely with the mellowed hop bitterness. The finish is semi dry with subtle accents of roast. No alcohol whatsoever. Very British in character, but with a bit more texture and complexity. Outstanding beer, and one of the best ones of RBSG. Too bad this has to be buried in another rating. A-8 A-5 F-9 P-5 O-19

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kdrobb2k (24) - Willingboro, New Jersey, USA - SEP 28, 2007
First whiff off the bottle was stunning. Pours a dark black with a short but lasting head. Borders on a porter in appearance. Piney with a mild chocolate flavor. The sweet hoppy flavor comes through along with the smooth IPA type mouth feel. Some pleasant bitterness lingers on the tongue. Stone has out done itself on this one. Better than the 10th.