overall

RATINGS: 2220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pleasesir (14) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - OCT 16, 2007
On tap at David Copperfields,NYC. Pours porter black w/ espresso coloured head that would of probably stuck aroung longer if I hadnít sucked it down to get at the beer. Deep garnet colour when held to the light. Aroma was at first sprucey with a flowery hop and a little ruby red grapefruit thing going on. But when it warms up you can smell the alcohol along with some brown sugar and a little raisin. Good balanced bitterness at first then all kinds of things happen once you swallow. What the hell is a black IPA? Who knows? Who Cares?? Get it while you can, itís in the bottle everywhere, but thereís nothing like a nice fresh pint on demand!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Draft. Aroma: Slight roasted malt flavor with a touch of brown sugar. Big hop nose with a lot of citrus, tropical fruits, floral, and pine. Appearance: Dark brown in color with reddish highlights. Light tan head was full and frothy with good retention. Good lacing. Flavor: Some roasty flavors upfront with notes of toffee, smoke, cocoa. Hops kick in big with a bunch of citrus and mango, pine and resin, floral and light grass. Lots of sticky bitterness. Finishes dry with a bit of astringency. Palate: Medium-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Overall: This was good, but Iím not sure if Iíd buy a bottle. Bitterness was a bit harsh at times and hung around long after drinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Being a black IPA I was expecting more burnt/roasted malt flavors. But itís more of an IPA than anything else. Although it is black in color the huge citrusy hops are really all I smell or taste. I guess thereís so much hops they cover everything else up! Still a damn good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopscotch (9996) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2008 Bottle (tried again at RBSG í08)Ö This beer rocks!... The wet Simcoe hops definitely kicked this baby’s flavor up a notch... from 3.8 to 4.0... Origninal rating... Clear, deep, dark mahogany ale with a large, creamy, beige head. Great retention. Big-time grapefruit smacks me right in the nose. Lesser, burnt notes of charcoal and ash. Thereís dark chocolate in here as well, but make no mistake, the hops run the show. Sweet caramel and chocolate flavor right up front; then tannic, abrasive, pine needle and grapefruit pith bitterness. Full-bodied and astringent with medium carbonation. Burnt, bitter-as-hell, dry-as-hell finish. Thanks to growler for sending this one my way!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MIBRomeo (2569) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Dark pour, huge frothy sticky lacing of that tan head. Hoppy aroma, citrus, fruits, definate cereals. Avg pal. Nice overly bitter, touch of grassiness in the finish. Bitter front w/ good caramel and alcohol overly prevelant. Not to bad, had better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jhanske (18) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Truly deceptive! I held my initial purchase up to the flourescent lights in the grocery store to check the color and was thoroughly stumped and intrigued. At home I was convinced I was tasting a malty concotion. Instead I was treated to a black IPA!!!. I had to confirm what I was tasting with my wife and my son. ( He hates bitter and knew by the smell this beer was bitter!!!). Well needless to say I ended up purchasing a case of 22ozís. Hats off to Stone for such a singular beer. Potent and mysterious, strong and unforgiving. This beer insists upon your full attention and respect. I handed out three of the 22oz from my case and all the recipients had different yet positive repsonses to this ale. Certainly an ale for the ages!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Black in color with a large and lasting head. Hop and some citrus aromas. Bitter grapefruit taste and finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beisen (90) - California, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Pours almost pitch black with a short tan head. A little reddish tint if you hold it to the light. I expected it to be more IPA than it is, because of the cryptic words on the label. The color threw that out the window, plus the roasted maltiness and the coffee tones. Of course, Stone wouldnít be complete without strong hops, and they win the day in the end. Nice and complex. It strikes a balance between a porter and an IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
mtoast (336) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2007
22oz bottle. Pours black, very nice tan foam that has great retention and lacing. Huge piney aroma, I get the simcoe and the chinook, thereís also a slight medicinal character hidden just under the hops. Flavor starts off all about the hops, and great hop they are but quickly fades into a more of the strange medicinal flavor and a long lasting and annoying bitterness. Started off so good and finished so weak. Any by the way, WTF is a BLACK india PALE ale?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 13, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2009 Pours dark reddish brown with a fully receding tan head. Aroma of fresh hops, notes of citrus, mango, pine, toffee and tropical fruits. Taste is resinous and hoppy, with notes of grapefruit, mango, and dark toffee. Mouthfeel full bodied, resinous with lively carbonation. Despite the dark color, the hops are very dominant in this beer.