overall

RATINGS: 2129   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

PilsnerPeter (3028) - Flushing, New York, USA - SEP 24, 2007
UPDATED: APR 6, 2009 Bottle: Pours a very deep brown, but in the light you can see some blood-red at the edges. The head is dense, tan colored and consistent. The aroma is huge! Pungent cascades, resiny, grapefruit, fresh pine needles, lemon, the full west-coast hop scale. Velvety mouth feel. Extremely resiny flavor. Fresh whole hop leaf is nice and assertive. Has a great lemony fruit middle with plenty of grapefruit bitterness. The malt is present, but is just enough to supply a rich body without being sweet or full of caramel like many ASAs. This allows you to appreciate the hops without it being complete hop juice. The finish is long and piny. The alcohol is also very well hidden. This is a great ASA with an assertive hop depth and a creamy body to balance. Nice job!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cathcacr (634) - Oregon, USA - SEP 24, 2007
From the citrusy-piney aroma and taste and, most importantly, the fiery manifesto on the bottle, you know it’s an IPA constructed from the finest ingredients known to mankind, right here, and right now. From the rest of it, you are given unconventional cues about which you have to exercise your own mind and judgment. Are you Worthy? ’Fraid not. 4.8 out of 5. You’re just gonna have to trust me on this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - SEP 23, 2007
Excellent stuff. This is the best beer that I have had from Stone in quite awhile. The aroma and flavor are loaded with hops. There is some really nice sweetness that balances the hoppy bitterness. Damn fine and damn drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brettpace (176) - New York City, New York, USA - SEP 23, 2007
THis is a great beer. Very hoppy, very strong. Nice dark color, one of my favorite beers from STONE.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bear1781 (2) - Virginia, USA - SEP 23, 2007 does not count
Whoa. Light aroma, very complex, hints of pine. Strong color, porteresque. Decadent head. More subtle than other stone offerings (which I love). I Plan on aging the next few I find, if i can still find some. Incredible!

thornecb (4396) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 8, 2009 Stone 11. Pours deep mahogany into a shaker. Fluffy off white conglomerate head leaves sheet lacing as it slowly recedes. Bright pine and sweet citrus aromas. Crisp dark caramel and chocolate upfront with a lasting smoky coffee malt and grapefruit finish. Same rating for the SS-R.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
uhclem (363) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2007
Poured a beautiful dark, chocolate. I thought I was pouring a porter or a stout. Head was a long-lasting opulent beige. Aroma was bright citrus accent, with an eventual appearance of malt. Taste had an excellent balance - starting out with a hops overtone and seamlessly sliding over to the malt end of the spectrum and accompanied by a pleasant, complex mouthfeel. The high alcohol content is well hidden. This is one of the best IPA’s I have had. The bad news is; my dealer says this is a limited edition offering.

PsionSaint (57) - Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2007
I was initially concerned with the darkness of the beer when poured since I’m not a dark beer guy normally. My fears proved unfounded as Stone produced another fine strong ale with this anniversary brew. Deep red-to-brown color, long-lasting head, with enough bite to satisfy this hop-head while still having the dark malt features.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madscotsman (147) - Fairview Heights, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2007 Poured a nice dark brown with a large off white head. Had a hops and citrus aroma. Had some malt in the palate along with more hops. The malt and hops were very balanced and neither seemed to overpower the other. The alcohol was slightly there when it started to warm up. Special thanks to my next door neighbor for bringing me this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 22, 2007
Bottle. Pours a very dark brown/black with good sized off-white foamy head. Aroma is nicely hoppy. Pine and citrus hop flavors are strong but not over powering. The malt gives a nice balance. Good strong ale/IPA.