overall

RATINGS: 2239   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Bomber. Pours dark ruby amber with big beige head and solid lacing. The aroma is pineapple that I can smell from two feet away; getting my nose into it I also smell quite a bit of apricot, some sweet chocolate, a little bit of white raisin. The flavor is sweet chocolate, apricot, prune, and pine at first. Then come an interesting roasty tone and some piney bitterness. Once in a while I pick up some grapefruit notes. It gets roastier toward the finish, leaving an aftertaste of coffee and pine. This reminds me of the Catawba Valley Blackwater Uber Pale Ale, but better executed. Bravo!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jake65 (3244) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Bottle: Pours a dark brown with a large beige head and nice lacing. Aroma is hoppy, resiny, roasty, and caramel malts. The flavor profile is floral and hoppy with chocolate and roastiness and a sort of dry and bitter sourness. I’m not sure about this one... It just seemed stuck in between styles and the flavors waged war on one another rather than joining forces and kicking ass like so many of Stone’s brews. I wanted to like it, but it was a let down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Feinschmecker (202) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 10, 2007
Bottle. Complex citrus hoppy aroma with hints of chocolate and a prominence of alcohol. Color is dark brown. The slightly syrupy brew slides over the tongue while it is overwhelmed with the complex profile.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
argo0 (12854) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 10, 2007
(22oz bottle) Large beige head atop clear, red-dark brown body. Aroma is medium sweet, grapefruit, floral, some pineapple. Taste is moderately sweet, grapefruit/pine, some earthy, chocolate, light caramel. Smooth medium-full body, very resinous. Yummy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - OCT 10, 2007
on tap at the lazy boy. Poured a very dark amber hue with a thin off white head which had decent lacing. Aroma was mostly hops, mainly pine like, however there were notes rich caramel notes. The flavor was similar to its aroma, it seemed a little more maltier then the aroma indicated. Overall it was good, but it never really seemed unique too me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
EricDanger (23) - USA - OCT 10, 2007
Stone did it again. Great IPA. Its a nice change up from the ruination or the rgular IPA....little darker, litttle heavier, but with a much more complex flavor. Give it a shot of your a fan of big bad american IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - OCT 10, 2007
Very dark brown amber, shades of deep purple. Very nice head, off white, foamy fluffy and retains well. Crazy hoppy, very bitter hops but when lingers it isn’t bad. Still flavorful. Aroma strong malts with dark fruits. Taste is very hoppy but with a nice malt syrupy body. Taste of well done biscuits and some wood.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - OCT 9, 2007
Very dark red with a thin but resolute head. Big resinous nose with grapefruit, pineapple, mango and pine. Fairly well straight IPA in flavor with little in the way of dark malt flavor. And nice it is in hop flavor too. Very tropical fruit and tongue coating. Big, satisfying, bitter finish with no harshness, that matches the hops flavor perfectly. Well executed and unique beer though I could probably just add some black food coloring to my favorite IPA and get a similar result.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - OCT 9, 2007
Bomber, of course, marked September 2007. Wow. Clear, deep, dark brown with a big brown head that descends rockily. I can see where people say it looks like a porter! Nice lace rings all the way to the bottom. I take a whiff, and the mind reels - I know it’s an IPA, my eyes tell me to ready for chocolate, but all I smell is rich grapefruit and heavy pine resin smothering a light dough. Flavor is decidedly IPA - lots of raw hop goodness here, bursting with grapefruit and pine. Beneath that, a mild roastiness is detected, and a bit of chocolate, but let’s call a spade a spade - this is all about the bitter hop. The finish is achingly bitter, the kind that creeps up from the back corners of your mouth and tingles behind your ears. A mild warming is deep in the gullet. I wasn’t crazy about the 10th, but this is a beaut - a true hophead dream. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (8982) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 9, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2010 rerate needed... it’s actually quite good when fresh. probably in the 3.5-3.8 range.