overall

RATINGS: 2228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kerplun1 (11) - New York, USA - OCT 8, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2008 Bottle. This is my second bottle and I had a craving for it since I had the first. The aroma is a joy of hops. A dark pour with a luxurious head. Flavor is hops, but complex and oh so interesting. Mouthfeel is creamy and quite a treat, even though there is a lot of bitterness here. A great beer though that I want to get as much of while I can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
temporrari (389) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 8, 2007
UPDATED: APR 25, 2010 Nice beer. Light roast, quite a bit of hoppiness. Not much aroma, but a great flavor. I wish it wasnít so expensive around here. Iíd buy it all the time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (9439) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 8, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 18, 2007 On draught at Vintage Estates in Boardman (1 of 7 kegs in the state I understand). Pours a dark reddish-brown color with a medium and lasting tan head. Sticky rings of lacing on the glass. The aroma is a cross between an Imperial IPA and a roasty Porter. Loads of citrusy hops in the nose, with a full roasted malt undertone. Other aromas like pine and toffee are present as well. Rich and bitter with a full array of citrusy and piney hops flavors. Toasted malt and chocolate flavors are found too. Slow alcohol burn through it all. The finish is long and bitter with a tasty grapefruit hops finish. Excellent overall. Once again Stone manages to do something unique and enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
beerbobWFM (17) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 8, 2007
This could quite possibly be my favorite of all the anniversarys I have had(started with 7). It has a nice aroma, some chocolate and carmel scents accented with the presnece of hops...and lots of them. Itís like they hopped up an advetinus or a reall good porter, which in my book is outstanding. The flavor has alot going on, starts with carmel,chocolate, and hints pf maple, tthen the hops kick in and you geat the whole array of citrus,and hints of spruce and it finishes with a nice bitterness.All in all a must try for hop heads, as stone once again pushes the envelope in a great way....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianbuntz (49) - Santa Monica, California, USA - OCT 7, 2007
As advertised, it pours a dark color with a fluffy head. More roasty carmelly chocolate notes than other beers from Stone, but it still has the characteristically big hop flavor. Nice mouthfeel. Like a nice German dark beer with a ton of hops. Unique and enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aubrey (3489) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Very dark, with burgundy edges. Lasting tan head and clingy lace. Intriguing, inviting nose alludes to dark chocolate and spruce tips. Full body, but not too thick or syrupy. Nice carbonation to boot. Wonderful symphony of flavors and aromas ... rich chocolate, aromatic pine, juicy citrus, caramel, grass, maple, black licorice, dark fruit, roast ... I didnít think they would, but I found the flavors and aromas in this beer to all meld very well. Hell, even the grapefruit! A healthy amount of bitterness cleaved off the sugary-stark black patent-like sweetness. I really love how Stone pushes the envelope, and this is a perfect example ... which happened to turn out extremely great, in my opinion.

raphael (1015) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 7, 2007
would be great for blind tasting, as who would expect that fresh hope aroma from darkest brown with a grey tan head, but theres a little molasses and oak fragrance, and the mouth knows dark, despite the hops, which do not clash. the dark is not heavy on the roast, more bittersweet chocolate. what so impresses me is the balance here, avoiding extremes of hop and malt flavors, while the total taste with some alcohol and warming, raisin, and still the hops. clean finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
757HopHead (12) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 7, 2007
This is a great beer. Hops like an IPA, finishes like a porter. Pretty wierd how that works, but it is a great combo. Long lasting 1/4 inch head with nice lacing throughout consumption. Smell is of IPA, with the look of a porter. Will buy again while it lasts. My father from VA has to try this!

Trooper11 (468) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - OCT 7, 2007
WOW! Stone not only knows beer, but really knows IPAís. What a change from last year. This one was surprisingly more awesome then I had hoped for. Looks like a porter, dark brown, with a light brown head. Pours like a stout, beautiful, teasing cascading affect. Taste like an IIPA. WOW! Strong citrusy grapefruit aroma, intense bitter pineyness and incredible citrus flavor. Dry, dry, dry finish, great bitter aftertaste. Easy to drink and incredibly satisfying for you hopheads.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (4569) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 7, 2007
On tap at the Vintage Estates Octoberfest Beer Tasting Festival in Boardman Ohio. Smells quite hoppy but does not look like an IPA. It seems to look like a porter or a stout. Taste impact is quite IPA-ish. Iím puzzled because its a dark beer that tastes like IPA. Not only IPA, but possibly even the taste of an imperial IPA. Now I feel flavors of imp stout peaking thru. How confusing. Barely any carbonation in this brew. OK, this must be why its an American Strong Ale on this site. Strong alky presence in your face. Finish is bitter lingering combination of IPA and imp stout. Will not buy again, too much for my girlie lager loven taste buds.