overall

RATINGS: 2143   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
uhclem (366) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2007
Poured a beautiful dark, chocolate. I thought I was pouring a porter or a stout. Head was a long-lasting opulent beige. Aroma was bright citrus accent, with an eventual appearance of malt. Taste had an excellent balance - starting out with a hops overtone and seamlessly sliding over to the malt end of the spectrum and accompanied by a pleasant, complex mouthfeel. The high alcohol content is well hidden. This is one of the best IPAís I have had. The bad news is; my dealer says this is a limited edition offering.

PsionSaint (57) - Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2007
I was initially concerned with the darkness of the beer when poured since Iím not a dark beer guy normally. My fears proved unfounded as Stone produced another fine strong ale with this anniversary brew. Deep red-to-brown color, long-lasting head, with enough bite to satisfy this hop-head while still having the dark malt features.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madscotsman (147) - Fairview Heights, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2007 Poured a nice dark brown with a large off white head. Had a hops and citrus aroma. Had some malt in the palate along with more hops. The malt and hops were very balanced and neither seemed to overpower the other. The alcohol was slightly there when it started to warm up. Special thanks to my next door neighbor for bringing me this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 22, 2007
Bottle. Pours a very dark brown/black with good sized off-white foamy head. Aroma is nicely hoppy. Pine and citrus hop flavors are strong but not over powering. The malt gives a nice balance. Good strong ale/IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - SEP 22, 2007
Pours very deep ruby-brown with a huge beige head that sticks around for awhile. Initial aroma is big citrus and pine. As the head fades the dark malt shows through, first faint chocolate then stronger toffee. The hop aromas, however, are dominant throughout. In the flavor, though, the dark malt shines: chewy toffee and caramel. Seconds after the sip the hop flavors begin to grow steadily, a lento crescendo to a delicious tart citrus coda. Both the hops and the toastiness of the beginning are present in the long finish. A very Stone-ish and very successful experiment.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rayg1 (557) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 22, 2007
This beer is one little gem I found at Whole Foods and snatched up instantly. Pours out a deep deep ruby red, almost black with a thick tan head about two fingers thick. In a second my nose is invaded by all sorts or citrus flavors, it is really kind of crazy this has the citrus elements of a highly hopped IPA but the looks of a porter or stout. However this is not a total hop bomb as there is a sweet aroma that fills the air as well. Upon first taste all you get is a huge smack of hops with grapefruit and pine charging in. However very soon after you get a slight roasted flavor almost like a porter but paired with the sweetness of a sweet or breakfast stout. This is a very good beer, I donít think this beer was meant to age though as this is an extreme hybrid of lots of hops and roasty and chocolatey malts. Good little experiment from Stone. Some people donít like Stone that much anymore but I call bullshit, they produce quality beer and this one is proof. This is honestley a beer that is a great blend of styles and unique all in its own right. Good job Stone!

OldMrCrow (1867) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2011 Labelled as Stone 11. I was curious to try this one but I managed to wait a week after buying it before diving it. Opening the bottle, I already get a huge whiff of grapefruit; the beer pours like dark cola with a modest tan head into my tulip glass. Now thereís more in the aroma: still that grapefruit blast, but also some molasses and roasty notes, mostly an IIPA aroma but with maybe a slight twist. But the flavor is a long way from straight-forward IIPA. The dark malts come in strong, coupling the IPA aroma and resins with something extra, chocolate and pumpernickel. The mouthfeel is ridiculously smooth; the 8.7% is covered over entirely between the powerful hops and the dark malt and I might have called this one at 7% if I hadnít known to expect more from Stone.

Iím quite impressed here, more so than I expected to be by yet another Stone IPA. This one goes in an interesting direction, and does so with far more grace than the recent Avery 14th in a somewhat similar vein. Iím quite eager to see what happens to the three other bottles Iíve got in the cellar as the hops start to fade. If the malts balance in without bringing on too much hop oxidation, this could be really nice with a year or two on it. 8/4/8/4/15=3.9

Oct 24 í07 - I couldnít resist cracking another bottle (stone 11) to compare to the 10th anniversary. No comparison; this one is really blood great, that one was crap. This could even go 8/4/8/4/16.

March 13, 2010. Drank my last 2007 bottle of this beauty. The age has done wonderful things; aged barleywine goodness mingles with dark chocolate toffee flavors, plenty of hop zing hanging around to round it out. Spendid; certainly 4.0, maybe 4.1. Definitely worth laying a bottle or two of SSSRA down for a few years. Iíll bump to 4.0.

March 6, 2011. Labeled as SSRA, approximately one year old. Spendid nose of chocolate-covered pineappele. Too much cocoa, not enough hop juice. Maybe thatís my own fault for letting it sit for a year, but itís more in the 3.8 range this go around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Darkover (1517) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2007
Dark brown color with a big tan head. Aroma of piney hops and some dark malts. Flavor is very hoppy and bitter with roasted malts in the background.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFURYCAT (1079) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 22, 2007
Wow this has some intense pine cone grapefruit blackberry roasted flavors. The dry hop piece tends to linger a bit too long along with with the roasted qualities but the rest of this is an enjoyable hoppy smack. There is a raisin dark chocolate caramel malt quality to this beer and I love the dark color it embues. It has a nice creamy texture. The alcohol comes out in the finish. Starts fruity and gets more bitter down the throat. I paid $9 for this at River St. Ale house in Pittston.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dankman (253) - Somewhere in, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2007
This is one different beer, but itís really good. This beer drinks, smells and tastes like a mellow IPA but with the hints of roasted cofee and carmel youíd expect from some porters or a quadrupel. Quite unique, if you get the chance I suggest trying it.