overall

RATINGS: 2147   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

adrian910ss (2361) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2007 22 oz bomber. Pours a dark cola brown with a medium light brown-beige head. Aroma of grapefruit, piney hops, and a bit of dark fruit. Taste is piny with hints of grapefruit, rye bread and dark fruit. Unusual in color and definitely a IIPA.

masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - SEP 15, 2007
Poured black into the glass with a nice head. Smelled roasty with a huge hop kick. Taste started with big roasty flavors, tasty with a little fruit, nutty, then switches into a great hop finish. Somehow the two flavors meld together very nicely, but I am not sure how. Very different, very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IvoR (70) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 15, 2007
Bottle. Pours black with a think brownish head.Aroma is of hops, very strong, even with a hint of alcohol. Flavor is very hoppy, maybe fruity as well. It does remind me of grapefruit now that I read otherís ratings (I am very poor at detecting fruit flavor myself). A vague hint of chocolate in the end that quickly disappears. The finish is nice and lasting. A very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadIndian (2416) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2007
Bottle from canals in Lumberton, NJ. Sampled with Stegosaurus.Dark Brown border line black pur with beige head. Strong hop aroma glazed with fruit and nut. Flavor of roast, hop and fruit. Nice bitter balanced finish. I really was blown away by this and I think Stegosaurus was too. The cerimonial humping of the bottle was done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
posikyle (165) - Alabama, USA - SEP 15, 2007
Pours a deep dark brown color, and has a great hoppy aroma. Also has a great full bodied feel in the mouth, and a slightly bitter finish (which I always appreciate in a beer).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - SEP 15, 2007
I always look forward to the Stone anniversary beers but after reading the descriptions of this yearís offering I was even more eagerly anticipating this one - and it did not disappoint! Pours a deep dark brown with glints of ruby and supports a firm medium tan head with good lacing. Bright aroma of grapefruit and pine. Classic Stone IPA flavor profile but with extra depth and and character. Slight notes of smoke and milk chocolate compliment the citrusy, hoppy center. Texture is velvety smooth and the finish is crisp and bitter. One can only hope Greg and the rest of the Stone Gods eventually add this to the year-round releases. Happy Anniversary Stone!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
patrick767 (3584) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 15, 2007
bomber - Ah, itís another Stone special release. It pours very dark brown, which is certainly unusual for the style. Speaking of style, I really think this one should be listed as an Imperial IPA. The hop profile is definitely that of an IPA and itís an amped of version of one. But anyway, it has a big, light tan head that lingers and leaves some great lacing. Thereís an excellent citrus hops aroma that includes a little pine as well. The flavor is of course very big on the hops and citrusy. Thereís some malt hiding under all that hops though to be honest I didnít pick up on it being significantly different than other Stone IPAs despite the darker color that indicates roasted malts. Itís medium to full bodied and has a long, bitter finish. The only drawback, if I really hunted for something, was a slightly off bitter taste in the finish, but even with that itís still an excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
after4ever (6185) - Brier, Washington, USA - SEP 14, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2007 22. Pours black with a thin white head. Moderate lacing. Sharply piney nose--luscious. Nutty, roasty, smoky, ashy notes hit you right up front on the attack. Itís a medium body with tingly carb, but the flavors take over right from the jump. Plenty of swirling flavors all over the mid-palate, lots of intense activity--all the same ones from the attack. Mid-palate does unfortunately go a fair bit hollow though. The finish settles into a big ashy wash. Not sure this is a world-beater but itís pleasant enough.
Cracked another bomber of this last night (9-25-07), and this time it was properly chilled. Made all the difference. Tart, citric, refreshing, bracing--all the things it wasnít when it was a bit too warm. Evidently I need to learn how to drink beer, because I was definitely drinking this one wrong.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mreeves (275) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - SEP 14, 2007
A dark IPA--now this is an interesting one. It definitely has the normal Stone hop profile, but with a definitely roasted malt undertone. Quite a unique and interesting combination, and I think I like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 14, 2007
22 oz bottle. Almost black with a large tan head that leaves some lacing once itís gone down a bit. Aroma is strong, very hoppy and citrusy like a nice IPA, but then it has a subtle roasty character to it. Great flavor, again very bitter and hoppy, but with a subtle roasted maltiness that comes out mostly in the finish. Interesting beer, good choice for an anniversary ale I think.