overall

RATINGS: 2250   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

boydmarq's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
boydmarq (56) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - NOV 21, 2012
I am stunned at any review that rates this lower than 15 out of 20 on the overall rating. For anyone who loves a hoppy, flavorful beer, this is the absolutely best one out there. And I have tasted a ton of beers. Everyone time I drink this, my first thought is: OMG, this is nectar from the heavens!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mambossa (290) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2016
A dense, unwavering dark pour that holds up a brightly sandy head. Beautiful. Notes of roasted coffee and chocolate waft from a distance. A closer nose reveals the amazing tropical citrus, mango, papaya, and floral lemon. The flavor starts round and robustly dark, medium plus body, chocolate and light roast coffee, all surrendering to a floral, lemon, tangerine and lifted pine. The floral, rindy, and dark chocolate linger echo beyond the sip. I’ve had this one fresh, and I’ve had this one not-so-fresh. Both have been great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MacNJ (49) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2016
Has a delicious smoky nose, and its black ink pour into a 6oz glass with a thick, frothy pour is very attractive. The mouthfeel is smooth, and the balance of malt and hops is masterful. I realize that the black IPA is an acquired taste, but Stone has truly hit the zenith. Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brettsky06 (179) - Manitoba, CANADA - AUG 4, 2016
Pours a nice cola color, aroma is pine, toffee and some roasted notes. The taste is quite bitter throughout. Some citrus as well. Excellent black IPA

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Aggiebob (763) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - JUL 26, 2016
Bottle. Opaque with an off-white head and lacing. Aroma is light citrus and pine, with some roasted malt flavoring. Medium bodied. Slightly bitter.

tfontana (695) - Fremont, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 25, 2016
Bottle pour into nonic pint glass from Signal Variety. Aroma is caramel, roast, dark fruit, citrus, light chocolate. Appearance is dark brown/mahogany--almost black--with finger-width light brown creamy head with fair retention and nice lacing. Taste is as aroma with late fruit/earthy bitterness, mild alcohol. Palate is medium-to-full bodied, with airy/foamy texture, lively carbonation and mix of sweet and bitter roasted finish. Overall, complex and very good but it goes a bit more to the heavy DIPA side of things than the lighter IPA side, which I would like a bit better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
CacheManyHose (587) - HONG KONG - JUL 17, 2016
From QC. Dark opaque reddish-brown black with beige bubbly head and wet streaky lacing. Smells of dusty dry malt, moderate stony slightly vegetal bitterness, some bready spicy dark rye and light plum. Taste is heavy bitter burnt malt, lightly puckering/dry and moderately spicy. Body is bitter, slick, moderately citric and spicy. Very bitter, stony verging on vegetal. Good but not amongst my favourite black IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
HKdIPA (676) - HONG KONG - JUL 17, 2016
Bottle from QClub at home. Bottled 5/24/16 but preparing for not super fresh given QClub shipping. Slightly transparent cola brown pour. Finely bubbled light tan head. Aroma is some trademark Stone resin, but a lot of dark somewhat musty malt too - like the Brewcraft shop almost. Perhaps a bit off. Taste is similar - dank resin hops with boozy bite and lots of malt. Very good, though as exciting as I hoped. It may be a bit less fresh. Still very good, especially for hk$30.

OminouSC2 (449) - SWEDEN - JUL 11, 2016
A beer with a special meaning to me. One of my closest friends growing up passed away 3 years ago. During our last conversation he recomended this beer to me - his favorite. I never had a chance to try it, and just a few months later, it was announced as retired by Stone. Disappointed, of course, but then I actually found a bottle - in the cellar of my late friends broher-in-law. He graciously accepted to share it with me. Black color. Chocolate aromas, some hops. Very smooth taste, dark malt, chocolate, citrus hops (even though very mellow due to the long cellaring). Sweet taste with just a slight bitter finish from the hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Buukwurm (42) - California, USA - JUL 9, 2016
Poured a deep, deep brown bordering on black with a creamy head. Smells of citrus with undertones of pine. Tastes like a cross between an IPA and a stout with a good deal of maltiness poking through the initial bitterness. The carbonation is a little lively. The body is medium. Overall, a truly great ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rentonj7 (212) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 30, 2016
Wonderful. Deep opaque brown poor with short tan head. Huge aroma _ cocoa, roasted beef, toffees, pine, and grapefruit. Taste Carries more of the hop charter, especially pine. Lots of chocolate with some espresso. Mouthful is thick and creamy with a long, effervescent finish. Man, this is nice.