overall

RATINGS: 2229   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tedovertu (289) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2012
Very dry hoppy mouth feel. Small tan head with a fair amount of lacing. Leaves bitter after taste. Guess this is not my favorite. Has a great aroma but the finish is very bitter and has some alcohol burn.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
liquidhedonism (289) - Beaverton, Oregon, USA - SEP 16, 2014
22 oz bottle from Fred Meyer’s in Beaverton, OR. Aroma is sweet and woody, with strong hints of burned coffee. Sweetness in the beginning gets immediately overtaken by the astringency of the roasted grains and the bitterness of the hops. I would not necessarily call this beer balanced, but I would certainly call it complex. Then again, I prefer sweeter Black IPAs, and I don’t generally care for overly dry and astringent roasted grains. Regardless, I would gladly drink this again. And again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fantomasus (287) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Wow. Pours a deep dark chocolate with a big foamy head. Smells of sweet malt, roasted nuts, with slight hints of leather and gun oil. Entrancing. A big bold balanced taste of malt, chocolate, and fruit with hints of exspesso. A big quick hop finish that leaves a lingering dark chocalate copper. Wow. Nice work.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
libertine (287) - rochester hills, Michigan, USA - JAN 12, 2012
pours very dark with quite a bit of creamy head.aroma is very floral with an obvious hint of grapfruit and pine.heavily carbonated.i drink ipas only on occasion and got to say the hops on this is very balanced.flavour of grapefruit and pine with a subtle sweetness.bitter with a pleasant dry finish.i would add this to the ipas ive enjoyed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alaskanwarren (286) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 14, 2007
Pours mahogany with ample tan head. Aroma is roast, apples, some spice with hints of alcohol. Flavor is a nice balanced strong flavor. Citrus hops, some oak, roastiness, more apples and plum. Nice hop and roast flavor on the finish. This is really drinkable. The alcohol lends minimal heat - but be careful - it’s there alright! Good stuff!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
adavis234 (286) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 17, 2010
22 oz bottle. Appearance is dark brown/black shot through with a bit of ruby when you hold it up to the light.. Two finger tan head. Nice, soft citrus-hop aroma. Flavor starts out with grapefruit citrus hops, transitions into a malty, smoky, chocolatey flavor, and then finishes with a tingle of alcohol and grapefruit again with a lingering smokiness in the back of the throat. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this beer when I picked up at Greens, but as usual Stone doesn’t treat me wrong. A nice St. Pat’s day present to myself.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
malkyore (286) - - MAR 23, 2014
I’ve gone my whole life raring beers attributes out of 10. I rarely give things 10s because there has never been a yardstick for me of what the best beer is. As of now for ipas this is my new yardstick. This beer is the perfect balance between the Carmel maltiness of a stout, and the heavy handed hoppiness of a stone ipa. This is a phenomenal beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
toml219 (285) - California, USA - FEB 15, 2015
Poured into shaker pint. ..... Pours black with nice tan head................. . ....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
clong83 (285) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 5, 2009
Pours dark and thin dark head. Very opaque. Taste is surprisingly light and fruity! Grapefruit and lots and lots of hops, just like Stone is known for... GREAT beer. Balanced and has a dry finish. Big fan.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zakoon (284) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 26, 2015
650ml bottle enjoyed @ my vacation apartment. Pours very dark brown with a big and frothy beige head. Aroma is roasted malt, sweet, grapefruit and a little herbal. Flavour is medium sweet and light bitterness. Medium bodied, thick bodied, average carbonation. Finish is sweet and hoppy.