overall

RATINGS: 2179   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
aleph (231) - - APR 9, 2012
From a growler. Dark thick pour. Roasted malts, light chocolate and coffee, with some high citrus notes. Hops come out in the middle, providing a fresh and bitter taste to compliment the roasty finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
sodakotakid (230) - Belle Fourche, South Dakota, USA - DEC 28, 2012
pours a nice black with a good dark tan head. This beer is piney and hoppy with a citrus kick. it also tastes of roasted chocolate malts and sour dark fruits

Brewdork (228) - Sanford, Florida, USA - JUN 1, 2014
650 ml bottle (enjoy by 7/10/14) poured into nonic pint. Deep cola color with an impressive three-finger creamy light beige head that seems to last forever. Aroma is resinous, piney hops with roasted malt undertones. Flavor follows suit, with initial hoppiness giving way to roasted complexity. The mouthfeel is much creamier than I was expecting. While I don’t enjoy this quite as much as Stone’s standard IPA offerings, it’s still great.

want1DIPA (227) - - MAY 12, 2013
This is the GOAT! It's bold but subtle regarding Hoppiness and ABV%. It plays tricks on my mind because its a DIPA, but it looks like a stinking stout. I simply adore this beer. It's also the reason I love craftbeer, Stone Sublime was my first. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone so go have a DIPA!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Harsebrau (227) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - OCT 9, 2010
Honest intro - probably too snchocked to rate...but here goes... Aroma: this baby has the dark fruits cruising through the nostrils with traces of cocoa with a definite hop. But a lot of prune and raisin. (btw Grizzle is helping with this..also snchocked.) Poured a dark brown to black. Touch of off tan/white head. We’re drinking this in dimpled mugs. It has a flavor of bitter and malty smooth but sharply bitter. It has been burnt by something. I don’t what...but burnt. And that is ok.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
malkyore (226) - - MAR 23, 2014
I’ve gone my whole life raring beers attributes out of 10. I rarely give things 10s because there has never been a yardstick for me of what the best beer is. As of now for ipas this is my new yardstick. This beer is the perfect balance between the Carmel maltiness of a stout, and the heavy handed hoppiness of a stone ipa. This is a phenomenal beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
blackmurder (226) - sadf, Hawaii, USA - MAR 19, 2008
Hybrid stout mixed with an IPA done very well. Rich Burnt malts and hops take the main stage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2010
22 oz bottle. Not really sure what a "Black IPA" is, but thought I would give it a try. Pours a mostly opaque black with a small light tan head. Smells of malt, hints of citrus, hops, and a bit of sweetness. Bizarre smell compared to the sight. The taste is just as unique, as it mixes the complexities of an IPA, stout, and possibly even a brown ale all in one, with lots of sweet malt, but also the balance of citrus and hops. Decent body to it also, with a pleasant aftertaste and some sticky mouthfeel to it. Overall, very different, but quite impressive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidflores99 (225) - Long Beach, California, USA - SEP 11, 2007
Had a tasting at the Stone 11th Festival, I really liked this! Poured dark, light creamy head, very hoppy and smooth. I can taste some citrus and smoke in there, very awesome brew!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2007
Great brew, pours black with little head that disapears rapidly into a lacy ring. Has smoky roasted malts for the flavor and hints of chocolate. Alcohol is well hidden and balanced with the deep flavor of this dark beast.