overall

RATINGS: 2128   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jwasciuk (198) - Lowell, Michigan, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Pours murkey dark black with an average rocky light brown head. Aroma is heavly malty or dark bread, roasted malts and dark chocolate, heavly hoppy of resin and lime, lightly yeasty of leather. Flavor is nicely balanced, roasty /malty and biscuity with generous amounts of hop bitterness. starts sweet, bitter in the middle and sweeter in the finsh again. Dark fruit, prunes, nice and complex with some alcohol warming. Medium to full bodied, creamy and softly carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rateyourpoison (198) - chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 14, 2010
22oz bomber. Pours really dark with a frothy tan head. Piney hop aroma some undertones of dark fruit. Sweet raisin malt start with a big hop finish. A nice hop character that seem so impart some serious licorice bitterness. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shakespeare33 (197) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Pours a dark chocolate almost espresso type color with the coca cola caramel head.. The aroma is very intriguing.. I get the hoppiness but then as someone in an earlier rating pointed out, I get a faint sense of horseradish, a little sting to the nose that nudges the aroma along.. Initial hit to the palate is pure stone.. I mean forget the color, this is not a malt dominated ale, this thing hops like a rabbit wearing springs.. A bitter pine, earthy hop, with some roasted, toasty flavoring at the end. the first sip was overpowering and surprising but it settles in nicely as it warms.. The bitterness lingers a little too long for my likeing but I know thats just stone tagging their name.. I almost feel as though my palate has still yet to mature to the level where I can truly appreciate a complex ale such as this.. Ill have to review it another year or so.... another innovative ale from stone, this thing really has no catergory but is definitely enjoyable..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jackafholmes (197) - - APR 27, 2014
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2014 Bottle from a friend. Pitch black with a frothy tan head. Huge lychee aroma. Very bitter with strong alcoholic hit. Good viscous mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours dark, real dark with a foamy white head that slowly fades. This one is hoppy, no question about it. This was quite a surprise, I had a dfh 90 minute before this and it is extremely similar, well as far as the hops go. The Stone XI has a mellowness that the the dark grains give off, but its hard to detect.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2009
So, I canít say that I am in love with this beer. I shared a bottle of this with BeerBaron617 and donít really know exactly how I feel about the whole situation. It poured dark like a stout, yet had the aroma of an IPA, and is a "strong ale." So what to think? Well, it had a nice big head and was a really dark brown black. The aroma was nice and hoppy and very citrus fruity. Taste was nice and juicy fruity, yet finished really really bitter. I just donít know how I feel about that... it was perfect until that exceptional bitter taste at the end :(

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopslovin (194) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - NOV 23, 2007
Bomber. Deep ruby/brown pour with off-white head. Big malt presence on the nose. Bitter hop flavors, some pine, and very slight smoke in flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet bitter finish. Very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - SEP 29, 2010
Black with very small light tan head. Hoppy pine aroma, like Arrogant Bastard. Yep thatís a lot of hoppiness, if thatís your thing. The bitterness in the finish is just too much for me to enjoy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
VengefulOdin (193) - , Kansas, USA - MAY 15, 2011
To say that Iíve been looking forward to this beer is an understatement. One of my buddies happened to pick this up in Denver last year but he of course didnít share. 22 ounce bomber poured into an oversized wine goblet. Comes out of the bottle dark brown (think cola) with a frothy long lasting tan head. Wish the head was a bit thicker, but the high ABV probably makes that difficult. Aroma comes across as this dank and earthy hop character, with big notes of pine. Itís huge! Roasted grain and chocolate are buried in the nose. You have to work your way past the incredible hop aroma but theyíre in there. Then thereís the whole matter of taste. Hops shatter the palate first, with a prolonged bitterness in the finish. The first taste is all hops. As you acclimate youíll be able to start to pick at the malt profile a bit more, but the first taste is jarring. I like the mouthfeel as well. Itís slick and despite all the hops never gets sticky. This beer finishes very dry (something Iíve noticed with most Stone beers), as the malt character never goes overboard into sweet territory. Instead it opts for roasted and nutty, with a slight bitter coffee note. Thatís not the best description. Let me put it this way Iíve toasted pine nuts, getting them to the point where theyíre almost too dark, and thatís what this malt flavor reminds me of. Itís not burnt, but is right there on the edge. Thereís also some definite alcohol warmth but Iím not picking up any fusels in the nose or taste, very impressive. Itís not often that I find a beer that lives up to my expectations when trying it, but Sublimely Self-Righteous does that and then some. Not sure if itís possible, but this is a textbook example of an emerging style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
finn1918 (193) - Georgia, USA - APR 30, 2013
12oz, $3.50 from Total Wine, BB 5/15/13. Pours inky black with a 1-finger light tan/off-white head. Aroma is typical Stone-stle hop punch: floral and pine dominate. Taste is boozy, roast malts, cocoa powder, and a big floral hop punch, although not as bitter as some. Nice cocoa/hop finish that lingers for a while. Mouthfeel is fairly light and silky for the style. A good food beer, but a bit too dry to stand on its own. Excellent, but truthfully, a little overpriced. Some equally good beers can be had for a few dollars less.