overall

RATINGS: 2035   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
shroud0fdoom (150) - Maryland, USA - AUG 18, 2012
This is one of those thin line brews between Black IPA/Imperial stout. Since this has two months before its expo date any hop flavor is barely present, I get fruity/piney hops in the smell, but not too much in the flavor. Now its roasted notes of creamy coffee/ espresso. Alcohol ins’t present. It does have a strong bitter finish. I like this either, Black IPA or Imperial stout, you be the judge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dojken (150) - - NOV 17, 2012
A very good black IPA. Good aroma nice feeling in your mouth. At the end a very good nice after-taste.

rags2rags (149) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 4, 2010
Bottle from Whole Foods, poured into snifter. Pours a dark ruby brown color with a finger of tan head. Pine and grapefruit on the aroma. Tasted of lemons, and grapefruit with a caramel backbone. Surprisingly hoppy for a dark beer, which I really liked. Good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
performula (148) - Heart of the Rockies, Colorado, USA - OCT 17, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2007 I really wish I would have un-opened this one. Pours a brown with large head. Red Garnett when held to the light. Strong hops smell. Tastes fantastic. Citrus base with a hoppy roast finish. Very neutral indeed. Creamy, layered head residue after sips. This Black IPA is awesome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brewsmith (148) - Torrance, California, USA - FEB 24, 2008
From growler filled at the brewrey on 2-23-08. I know this beer is about 8 months old now, and some of the hop bitterness, flavor and aroma has dropped out, but this is still a fantastic beer. It’s a dark brown color with some red tones in there. Aroma has piney citrus hops along with some caramel maltiness that wasn’t there when this beer was fresh. Flavors are sweet, with still enough of a bitter kick to balance. Reminds me of Arrogant Bastard, but with a little roasted, chocolate character. Still a great Stone beer. How much it holds up over more time is anybody’s guess.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madscotsman (147) - Fairview Heights, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2007 Poured a nice dark brown with a large off white head. Had a hops and citrus aroma. Had some malt in the palate along with more hops. The malt and hops were very balanced and neither seemed to overpower the other. The alcohol was slightly there when it started to warm up. Special thanks to my next door neighbor for bringing me this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DiabolikDUB (147) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 14, 2009
Poured from Bottle into Tulip glass. Pours jet black with a booming, fluffy light-tan head that never fully dissolves and creates a dense layer atop the glass. The aroma is filled with sticky, resinous hops and has some hints, although very subtle, of chocolate. Flavor is piney hops and sweet malt upfront and is accompanied by some touches of roasted malt and dried fruit. Its a medium bodied beer that is sticky and has a good amount of carbonation. Out of all the "Black" IPA’s that I’ve tried this one certainly sets the bar. I had no idea what this beer looked like before I poured it into my glass and was surprised it was as black as it was. The aroma is purely delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
paytoplay (146) - , California, USA - FEB 6, 2009
Cask at O’Briens SD. Funky, blast of hops on the nose. A bit of sweetness, very complex, herb and vegital. Extremely long length. Color was black with a brown standard type cask head. Hops really dominate and the malt create a unique brew. Much different from the 11th bottle enjoyed a week prior. Interested to see how current bottles compare.

adrosson (146) - California, USA - APR 27, 2012
Nice dark malty ipa. Perhaps some citrus crispness but malt is what I noticed the most. On tap at rock n brews ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sathorael (146) - Oceanside, California, USA - NOV 6, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2012 Very unique beer. Poured from 2 litre growler into Duvel tulip. Great beer over all areas. I will drink this again. Lucky for me it is readily available and brewed down the street!