RATINGS: 2235   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Speedle (266) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 17, 2007
dark brown near black pour with a huge dark tan head.....giant citrus hops aroma ...bitter hop pine taste with a great roasted malt balance...incredible beer...gonna stock up on a couple of these now...I donít thin I can handle holding onto this one for a while but Iím gonna try

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
johnbuck100 (266) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2010
If I hadnít known better I would have called this a strong stout.- dark brown with a caramel head - very flavorful and complex. The initial sweetness of a stout is upfront, but it gives way to a roasted, almost burnt flavor fighting with a distinct presence of bitter hops, with alcohol backbone hiding in the shadows. Delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
slitcher (266) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - JUN 24, 2010
Black pour with a medium tan head. Aromas of hops and caramel. Hops up front in the taste with bittersweet cocoa in the background. Very unique and delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mxtur (266) - Michigan, USA - MAR 1, 2011
This one got me trashed for some reason. It was surprisingly smooth and very unique. I loved it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
franksnbeans (265) - Columbus, Maryland, USA - DEC 23, 2007
think itís hilarious what name recognition does. I tried a VERY similar beer last week called BarrelHouse Boss Cox Double Dark IPA and all the reviews are substantially lower than here. Pours a very dark ruby, almost black with a couple fingers of lacy tan head that stays well. Smells of grassy hops and a little malt. Tastes malty with bitter almost pineapple hops with a different hop profile that Iím now realizing is particular to this style. Medium in the mouth with good carbonation. Took a little time to finish. The better of the two Dark IPAs that Iíve tried. Though itís not a bad style, I still prefer is predecessor.

bpr77 (264) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JAN 14, 2012
Black ipa, apparently. Aroma is stone ipa but black ipa anywwya this beer rocks, of course.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
popephred (264) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - MAY 4, 2010
Poured from the bottler into a snifter. Pour produced a brown-black body, with a quickly diminishing head of tan,no lacing. Alcohol, coffee, and pine are the dominant notes in the aroma. A balanced bittersweetness, with some roasted coffee notes, make this a strong flavored ale, though I am not picking up on a complex palate, which would make this a great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RyanK (263) - Rhode Island, USA - APR 22, 2014
12oz! from the stone mix pack best by 5/27 tasted 4/22. Pours black but is penetrable by light, has a foamy tan head slow to subside. Smells like a black IPA chinook hops roasted malt. Taste of malty bitterness followed by dry hoppy bitterness. Plenty of bite and no alcohol taste at almost 9% I gotta give this beer credit. Plenty of bitterness and bite should most definitely appeal to fans of this style, but not to the faint of heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
smashteroid (262) - Alabama, USA - FEB 10, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2008 Served cold from bottle. Pours dark brown/black with a fairly thick off-white head. Good lacing. Aroma is sweet with malts and some citrus-y flavors. Not particularly flavorful as far as I am concerned. The hops overshadow any of the other ingredients, which is fine, but I look for more flavor in a "strong ale". If I was in the mood for an ESB or an extreme IPA, thatíd be one thing, but I guess due to the uniqueness of this beer and the quality output Stone normally produces, the 11th left something to be desired.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
anderson01 (261) - Idaho, USA - DEC 21, 2010
There is many things going for the aroma. The smell of pine and hay are noticable. Has a roasted smell with a little black licorice follow up. Has a good head with a black coffee color. Has the best lacing i have seen so far. It has medium carbonation with a decent finish. It starts with a pleasant sweet flavor and ends with a bitter chocolate flavor. Overall the longer it stays in my mouth the worse it gets. For the price i would buy it again. I think stone brewery is a great brewery.