overall

RATINGS: 2143   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopslovin (194) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - NOV 23, 2007
Bomber. Deep ruby/brown pour with off-white head. Big malt presence on the nose. Bitter hop flavors, some pine, and very slight smoke in flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet bitter finish. Very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - SEP 29, 2010
Black with very small light tan head. Hoppy pine aroma, like Arrogant Bastard. Yep thatís a lot of hoppiness, if thatís your thing. The bitterness in the finish is just too much for me to enjoy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
VengefulOdin (193) - , Missouri, USA - MAY 15, 2011
To say that Iíve been looking forward to this beer is an understatement. One of my buddies happened to pick this up in Denver last year but he of course didnít share. 22 ounce bomber poured into an oversized wine goblet. Comes out of the bottle dark brown (think cola) with a frothy long lasting tan head. Wish the head was a bit thicker, but the high ABV probably makes that difficult. Aroma comes across as this dank and earthy hop character, with big notes of pine. Itís huge! Roasted grain and chocolate are buried in the nose. You have to work your way past the incredible hop aroma but theyíre in there. Then thereís the whole matter of taste. Hops shatter the palate first, with a prolonged bitterness in the finish. The first taste is all hops. As you acclimate youíll be able to start to pick at the malt profile a bit more, but the first taste is jarring. I like the mouthfeel as well. Itís slick and despite all the hops never gets sticky. This beer finishes very dry (something Iíve noticed with most Stone beers), as the malt character never goes overboard into sweet territory. Instead it opts for roasted and nutty, with a slight bitter coffee note. Thatís not the best description. Let me put it this way Iíve toasted pine nuts, getting them to the point where theyíre almost too dark, and thatís what this malt flavor reminds me of. Itís not burnt, but is right there on the edge. Thereís also some definite alcohol warmth but Iím not picking up any fusels in the nose or taste, very impressive. Itís not often that I find a beer that lives up to my expectations when trying it, but Sublimely Self-Righteous does that and then some. Not sure if itís possible, but this is a textbook example of an emerging style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
malkyore (193) - - MAR 23, 2014
Iíve gone my whole life raring beers attributes out of 10. I rarely give things 10s because there has never been a yardstick for me of what the best beer is. As of now for ipas this is my new yardstick. This beer is the perfect balance between the Carmel maltiness of a stout, and the heavy handed hoppiness of a stone ipa. This is a phenomenal beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Randy4Beer (191) - - JUN 13, 2014
Pours jet black with a mocha head. Aromas of rum soaked raisins, pine resin. Tastes of raisins with bitter hops. Some molasses. Overall very hard to describe with flavors not quite like anything I have experienced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lupulucid (189) - - MAY 21, 2013
Somewhat subtle malty aroma belies an intense hop character in the palate. Amazing hop flavors eventually give way to bitterness and malt. This is in many ways several beers rolled into one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gvmdw7 (188) - California, USA - JUN 23, 2011
Poured black with an inch of head. Smells of piney hops. Tastes like I bit into a fresh strawberry. It was served too cold and it muted the malty character. I didnít enjoy this out of bottle, but itís much better on tap

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Steverus0 (188) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAY 6, 2013
This is...well... Not quite heaven, but I suppose that sublime is apt. This brew cuts a perfect balance between the roasted notes and hoppy bitterness that others have performed with less success. Pours an opaque ebony with bright and decently persistent head. Aroma of pine and hints of chocolate. Taste is roasted barley and a faint chocolate with flower-forward west coast hop varieties. Smooth and balanced on the mouth. Yup. New favorite (at least one of them) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
37steel (186) - St. Charles, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2007
22 oz bottle. One of the most interesting beers Iíve had. You expect one thing and get something COMPLETELY different. Pours dark brown/black with a full tan head. Aroma is very hoppy (piney and fruity). Sharp hop bite at the start (grapefruits). Small chocolate in the middle and a long bitter finish. I have another bottle and am interested to see what itís like in a year or so.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slubgob (185) - West Hartford, USA - SEP 24, 2013
Bomber into tulip. Stout like darkness and thick of white creamy head in the glass. Malty, cocoa nose. Full mouth, nearly like a hoppy, light porter. Not quite the ale I was expecting but I can see where the black ipa designation comes from.well balanced, more malt finish with a good bit of hops bit not overdone.dangerously easy drinking for 8.7%.