RATINGS: 2231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bretupdegraff (242) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - APR 23, 2010
Not sure why this is shown as an American Strong Ale. I see this as a Black IPA - This brew should be poured nice and cold to enjoy the Hoppy goodness - be sure to let the beer warm though and drink slowly as this brew transforms into a wonderful smoky, malty porter type brew with major Hoppy goodness. Very complex and you do want to experience all levels and dimensions of this craft!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
chris2431 (241) - Oregon, USA - FEB 15, 2012
draft. seriously this might be my favorite beer. love black ipas and this is as good as it gets thus far for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
micronaut129 (241) - chalfontborotowntonbergville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2012
Pours an opaque, super dark brown color. The pour produced a copious amount of rich dense foamy head thats tan in color. This tan head is slow fading leaving sticky lacing in it’s wake. Aromatics are wonderfully pungent with sticky hop oils. Hop bouquet leans towards earthy and floral. Beyond the hop pop there is very sutle roasted malt nuiances. Taste is rich roasted malts up front, sutle, not overpowering with some hints of chocolate and coffee. Sweet upfront. Hops take charge next with a pretty desent hop bite and a good, fresh hoppy flavor. Bitter at the end. A good medium bodied ale. I detect some fine grittiness. The bitterness is stong and lingers deep into the aftertaste. A good looking beer, a good smelling beer and a good tasting beer. What more could you want.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sikash (240) - North Carolina, USA - MAY 11, 2012
Pours a very dark dark brown but seemingly clear beer with a tan head that lasts a while with great lacing. Aroma of citrus with maybe some fruit and roasted malt. Tastes of malt and coffee with a hint of chocolate. It has a great undertone of bittersweetness. There is a twang at the end that may be the alcohol. Not to sure how I like this initially but will see how it pans out with the full drink. Overall of moderate body and carbonation. Not sure how I like this beer overall but this is the first of this style for me so that may just be it. As time went on this beer did grow on me so I have modified some of the numbers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slubgob (239) - West Hartford, USA - SEP 24, 2013
Bomber into tulip. Stout like darkness and thick of white creamy head in the glass. Malty, cocoa nose. Full mouth, nearly like a hoppy, light porter. Not quite the ale I was expecting but I can see where the black ipa designation comes from.well balanced, more malt finish with a good bit of hops bit not overdone.dangerously easy drinking for 8.7%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AAEA (239) - California, USA - MAY 26, 2014
22 Fl. OZ ($6.99) A very good beer, its an ale that thinks its an IPA. very hoppy and great taste. I love this beer and its a good 8.7% if you see this try it out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
achtungpv (238) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 10, 2011
Thin black with a hoppy nose. Roasted malts with a hint of bitter coffee. Lots of flavors going on.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Sent by my brother in law from new york. I thank him for thinking of me. Wonderful aroma and dark sweet malt with transcendent hop flavor. As always stone adds something that puts it over the top. I love this dark ipa and it is significantly different from Arrogant Bastard- the hop is more floral and the malt daker. Yashar koach!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Turboninja (237) - Tampere, FINLAND - OCT 24, 2014
Medium-strong, quite sweet and alcohol flavored aroma with raisin, malts and chocolate. Black color with light-medium, long staying, beige head. Strong though smooth taste with some sweetness. Raisin, syrup, malts, chocolate and coffee in semi-roasted style. Some alcohol flavor suits for this beer. Also a bit of hops but in very balanced manner concerned with other flavors. Medium-wide taste spectrum and long, bit fruity, malty and hoppy aftertaste. Medium mouth feel and medium-low carbonation. A perfect beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Steverus0 (237) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAY 6, 2013
This is...well... Not quite heaven, but I suppose that sublime is apt. This brew cuts a perfect balance between the roasted notes and hoppy bitterness that others have performed with less success. Pours an opaque ebony with bright and decently persistent head. Aroma of pine and hints of chocolate. Taste is roasted barley and a faint chocolate with flower-forward west coast hop varieties. Smooth and balanced on the mouth. Yup. New favorite (at least one of them) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone