overall

RATINGS: 2229   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sikash (240) - North Carolina, USA - MAY 11, 2012
Pours a very dark dark brown but seemingly clear beer with a tan head that lasts a while with great lacing. Aroma of citrus with maybe some fruit and roasted malt. Tastes of malt and coffee with a hint of chocolate. It has a great undertone of bittersweetness. There is a twang at the end that may be the alcohol. Not to sure how I like this initially but will see how it pans out with the full drink. Overall of moderate body and carbonation. Not sure how I like this beer overall but this is the first of this style for me so that may just be it. As time went on this beer did grow on me so I have modified some of the numbers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Sent by my brother in law from new york. I thank him for thinking of me. Wonderful aroma and dark sweet malt with transcendent hop flavor. As always stone adds something that puts it over the top. I love this dark ipa and it is significantly different from Arrogant Bastard- the hop is more floral and the malt daker. Yashar koach!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
achtungpv (237) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 10, 2011
Thin black with a hoppy nose. Roasted malts with a hint of bitter coffee. Lots of flavors going on.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
blackmurder (236) - Whitaker, Oregon, USA - MAR 19, 2008
Hybrid stout mixed with an IPA done very well. Rich Burnt malts and hops take the main stage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Moggman (235) - Columbus, USA - OCT 19, 2009
Bottle. Pours black with small light brown head Aroma is roasty with some coffee and citrus hop notes. Flavor is bitter with roasted notes and a slight alcohol burn on the back of the mouth. Very complex.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
anderson01 (235) - Idaho, USA - DEC 21, 2010
There is many things going for the aroma. The smell of pine and hay are noticable. Has a roasted smell with a little black licorice follow up. Has a good head with a black coffee color. Has the best lacing i have seen so far. It has medium carbonation with a decent finish. It starts with a pleasant sweet flavor and ends with a bitter chocolate flavor. Overall the longer it stays in my mouth the worse it gets. For the price i would buy it again. I think stone brewery is a great brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dan269605 (235) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - JUL 26, 2013
Dense dark brown, nearly black pour, allowing no light to go through. Minimal wispy beige head. Huge aroma of spice, piney hops, roasted malts, baker’s chocolate, espresso. Flavor is intense bitterness upfront with roasted and spiced malts in the middle, dark chocolate in the finish. Not for the faint of heart, but quite amazing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slubgob (235) - West Hartford, USA - SEP 24, 2013
Bomber into tulip. Stout like darkness and thick of white creamy head in the glass. Malty, cocoa nose. Full mouth, nearly like a hoppy, light porter. Not quite the ale I was expecting but I can see where the black ipa designation comes from.well balanced, more malt finish with a good bit of hops bit not overdone.dangerously easy drinking for 8.7%.

gmb5127 (234) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2013
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2013 Very dark beer, Pours like a stout. At first it tastes like a stout with a chocolate coffee taste, then transitions to an IPA bitterness. Very drinkable and tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jh773 (233) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 15, 2014
Smells a little hoppy with light notes of bread. Taste is slightly bitter with vague coffee notes and rye. Pleasantly carbonated. More subtle than I expected and very good.