overall

RATINGS: 2228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slubgob (229) - West Hartford, USA - SEP 24, 2013
Bomber into tulip. Stout like darkness and thick of white creamy head in the glass. Malty, cocoa nose. Full mouth, nearly like a hoppy, light porter. Not quite the ale I was expecting but I can see where the black ipa designation comes from.well balanced, more malt finish with a good bit of hops bit not overdone.dangerously easy drinking for 8.7%.

Brewdork (228) - Sanford, Florida, USA - JUN 1, 2014
650 ml bottle (enjoy by 7/10/14) poured into nonic pint. Deep cola color with an impressive three-finger creamy light beige head that seems to last forever. Aroma is resinous, piney hops with roasted malt undertones. Flavor follows suit, with initial hoppiness giving way to roasted complexity. The mouthfeel is much creamier than I was expecting. While I don’t enjoy this quite as much as Stone’s standard IPA offerings, it’s still great.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
finn1918 (228) - Georgia, USA - APR 30, 2013
12oz, $3.50 from Total Wine, BB 5/15/13. Pours inky black with a 1-finger light tan/off-white head. Aroma is typical Stone-stle hop punch: floral and pine dominate. Taste is boozy, roast malts, cocoa powder, and a big floral hop punch, although not as bitter as some. Nice cocoa/hop finish that lingers for a while. Mouthfeel is fairly light and silky for the style. A good food beer, but a bit too dry to stand on its own. Excellent, but truthfully, a little overpriced. Some equally good beers can be had for a few dollars less.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Steverus0 (228) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAY 6, 2013
This is...well... Not quite heaven, but I suppose that sublime is apt. This brew cuts a perfect balance between the roasted notes and hoppy bitterness that others have performed with less success. Pours an opaque ebony with bright and decently persistent head. Aroma of pine and hints of chocolate. Taste is roasted barley and a faint chocolate with flower-forward west coast hop varieties. Smooth and balanced on the mouth. Yup. New favorite (at least one of them) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

want1DIPA (227) - - MAY 12, 2013
This is the GOAT! It's bold but subtle regarding Hoppiness and ABV%. It plays tricks on my mind because its a DIPA, but it looks like a stinking stout. I simply adore this beer. It's also the reason I love craftbeer, Stone Sublime was my first. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone so go have a DIPA!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Carlisle (227) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 29, 2014
Good balance of bitterness and malt. Excellent beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Harsebrau (227) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - OCT 9, 2010
Honest intro - probably too snchocked to rate...but here goes... Aroma: this baby has the dark fruits cruising through the nostrils with traces of cocoa with a definite hop. But a lot of prune and raisin. (btw Grizzle is helping with this..also snchocked.) Poured a dark brown to black. Touch of off tan/white head. We’re drinking this in dimpled mugs. It has a flavor of bitter and malty smooth but sharply bitter. It has been burnt by something. I don’t what...but burnt. And that is ok.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
GSH1976 (227) - Delaware, USA - FEB 13, 2013
This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Stone is a top notch brewer. The beer pours black with some tan head. Carbonation is low. The aroma is hoppy with some pine and citrus evident but there is also some subdued caramel malt sweetness. The taste is initially bitter but there are awesome some malt notes and the finish is a lingering bitterness. I love the balance between malts and hops. The body is on the light side and the alcohol is hidden extremely well. A very nice beer that I will be purchasing again in the very near future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidflores99 (225) - Long Beach, California, USA - SEP 11, 2007
Had a tasting at the Stone 11th Festival, I really liked this! Poured dark, light creamy head, very hoppy and smooth. I can taste some citrus and smoke in there, very awesome brew!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2010
22 oz bottle. Not really sure what a "Black IPA" is, but thought I would give it a try. Pours a mostly opaque black with a small light tan head. Smells of malt, hints of citrus, hops, and a bit of sweetness. Bizarre smell compared to the sight. The taste is just as unique, as it mixes the complexities of an IPA, stout, and possibly even a brown ale all in one, with lots of sweet malt, but also the balance of citrus and hops. Decent body to it also, with a pleasant aftertaste and some sticky mouthfeel to it. Overall, very different, but quite impressive.