RATINGS: 2251   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
One2remeber (245) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - DEC 16, 2013
Bottle, enjoy by 02/27/2014. Prominent hop nose, fruity pepples, orange, light burnt/smoky. Heavy citrus orange. Softer grain mouthfeel, perhaps oat, rounds out the smokiness. Clean leafy hop oil resinous taste and aroma. One of my all-time favorites. Clean, pronounced hoppiness,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dukeredhair (243) - California, USA - MAR 27, 2011
This is a great beer. Aroma is mostly hops, appearance is black w/ tan head that fades quickly. Taste is bitter roast then hops on the finish a nice piney spicy hop flavor that lingers on your tongue balancing out with the roast very well. It’s a nice mouthfeel, not too thick to ruin the refreshing finish but not too thin either. Overall If I could find more of this I would drink more of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
theyshookhands (243) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 22, 2012
Pours a nice black with a nice tan head and some lace. Aroma is of citrus, citrus hops, notes of orange, rosated malts, resin and wood. West coast hops, orange, roasted malts, some carbonation and a little alcohol bite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bretupdegraff (242) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - APR 23, 2010
Not sure why this is shown as an American Strong Ale. I see this as a Black IPA - This brew should be poured nice and cold to enjoy the Hoppy goodness - be sure to let the beer warm though and drink slowly as this brew transforms into a wonderful smoky, malty porter type brew with major Hoppy goodness. Very complex and you do want to experience all levels and dimensions of this craft!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
micronaut129 (241) - chalfontborotowntonbergville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2012
Pours an opaque, super dark brown color. The pour produced a copious amount of rich dense foamy head thats tan in color. This tan head is slow fading leaving sticky lacing in it’s wake. Aromatics are wonderfully pungent with sticky hop oils. Hop bouquet leans towards earthy and floral. Beyond the hop pop there is very sutle roasted malt nuiances. Taste is rich roasted malts up front, sutle, not overpowering with some hints of chocolate and coffee. Sweet upfront. Hops take charge next with a pretty desent hop bite and a good, fresh hoppy flavor. Bitter at the end. A good medium bodied ale. I detect some fine grittiness. The bitterness is stong and lingers deep into the aftertaste. A good looking beer, a good smelling beer and a good tasting beer. What more could you want.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
chris2431 (241) - Oregon, USA - FEB 15, 2012
draft. seriously this might be my favorite beer. love black ipas and this is as good as it gets thus far for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sikash (240) - North Carolina, USA - MAY 11, 2012
Pours a very dark dark brown but seemingly clear beer with a tan head that lasts a while with great lacing. Aroma of citrus with maybe some fruit and roasted malt. Tastes of malt and coffee with a hint of chocolate. It has a great undertone of bittersweetness. There is a twang at the end that may be the alcohol. Not to sure how I like this initially but will see how it pans out with the full drink. Overall of moderate body and carbonation. Not sure how I like this beer overall but this is the first of this style for me so that may just be it. As time went on this beer did grow on me so I have modified some of the numbers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Sent by my brother in law from new york. I thank him for thinking of me. Wonderful aroma and dark sweet malt with transcendent hop flavor. As always stone adds something that puts it over the top. I love this dark ipa and it is significantly different from Arrogant Bastard- the hop is more floral and the malt daker. Yashar koach!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
blackmurder (236) - Whitaker, Oregon, USA - MAR 19, 2008
Hybrid stout mixed with an IPA done very well. Rich Burnt malts and hops take the main stage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Moggman (235) - Columbus, USA - OCT 19, 2009
Bottle. Pours black with small light brown head Aroma is roasty with some coffee and citrus hop notes. Flavor is bitter with roasted notes and a slight alcohol burn on the back of the mouth. Very complex.