overall

RATINGS: 2221   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fevernova (210) - Athens, Ohio, USA - NOV 11, 2009
22 oz Bottle -- Pours black with a big tan head. Lots of fruity and floral notes going on in this beer. Very interesting aromas of hops, chicory, grapes, and passion fruit. Great balance of flavors, sweet upfront, bitter and sour in the back.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
brewballs (210) - USA - JUN 21, 2013
I am yet to be disappointed with a Stone until now. I tried this one on a whim. It has a spicy aroma to it but not the usual scent iím accustomed to. It has a bitterness to it that is too overwhelming. Itís too simplistic. You drink it but then feel its burn. There is nothing more or less than that. In my opinion I say skip it and get a Hoptimum with a higher ABV.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vacantskies (208) - Spokane, Washington, USA - OCT 4, 2010
Pours dark with a thick, multi-leveled foam that sticks to the side of the glass. The aroma is piney with a hint of chocolate. The flavor is rich and dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nimrod979 (206) - Hagerstown, Maryland, USA - MAR 11, 2011
Pours a murky brown with a thin beige head. Sweet roasty caramel malts as well as a load of piney, citusy hops. Pretty complex but the flavors really compliment each other. Great smooth body and soft carbonation. Long bitter finish. Delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hiddenvariable (206) - pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 16, 2007
pours an opaque black with a thick tan head that sticks around and leaves a good lacing. smell is huge floral and citrus hops that mingle with the malt and give off a bit of bubblegum, orange, and grapefruit. taste is suprisingly malty for that huge hop nose. the hops are still there in a big way, but now they mix with a sort of chocolate milkshake malt flavor, which ends up tasting a bit breadlike. very yummy. big dry bitter finish and a medium body with a good amount of carbonation give a pleasant tingling sensation that lasts for a while. itís, much like they say, a deep and complex beer that is unlike any iíve had. another great beer from stone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tselloufc88 (206) - Coventry, West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUN 25, 2014
Bottle from Petaluma Market. Completely black appearance with a biege-white head. Aroma is of pine and grapefruit with some chocolate and coffee also present. Creamy taste, lots of grapefruit initially, then the chocolate, coffee and vanilla comes in and it all comes together with a nice big bitter finish. Tastes no where near 8.7%! Really delicious. Glad I tried this!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mesperon (205) - Hillsdale, New Jersey, USA - MAR 4, 2009
(Stone 11th Anniversary, bottled 2007.) Pours deep deep dark brown, almost pitch black with a medium tan head. Very hoppy aroma, citrussy and floral. Elements of dark roasted malt and toffee and coffee. Medium full body with good carbonation. Flavor starts with sharp hop bite, and then the floral character of the hops open up, followed by bitterness both from the hops and the dark roast. Very obvious dark bitter coffee and a slight sweetness of toffee. Finishes with a lasting dry bitterness on the back of the tongue. Great combination of hoppy and dark roast bitterness.

socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - FEB 1, 2011
Aroma is of thick smokey malt with a spicy hop smell on the back end. The appearance is thick and very dark brown with a very small head. Taste is smokey and full of hops on the back end. It is a very well balanced beer . The first taste that I get is the malt and that is followed by a surge of bittering hops. I love this beer, I havenít found another Cascadian dark ale that I like as much. Please if you have any recommendations, send them my way

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
this has mellowed a bit since i sampled it on tap at stone brewing world bistro gardens back in january. the complexity is coming through nicely. it looks like a porter with a hind of red. lls of dark ripe fruit....lots of character in the nose, a hint of tobbacco maybe licorice. high acidity, big body, this beer has a delightfully long chewy finish while somehow remaining refreshing even at the high abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shakespeare33 (203) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Pours a dark chocolate almost espresso type color with the coca cola caramel head.. The aroma is very intriguing.. I get the hoppiness but then as someone in an earlier rating pointed out, I get a faint sense of horseradish, a little sting to the nose that nudges the aroma along.. Initial hit to the palate is pure stone.. I mean forget the color, this is not a malt dominated ale, this thing hops like a rabbit wearing springs.. A bitter pine, earthy hop, with some roasted, toasty flavoring at the end. the first sip was overpowering and surprising but it settles in nicely as it warms.. The bitterness lingers a little too long for my likeing but I know thats just stone tagging their name.. I almost feel as though my palate has still yet to mature to the level where I can truly appreciate a complex ale such as this.. Ill have to review it another year or so.... another innovative ale from stone, this thing really has no catergory but is definitely enjoyable..