overall

RATINGS: 2228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
this has mellowed a bit since i sampled it on tap at stone brewing world bistro gardens back in january. the complexity is coming through nicely. it looks like a porter with a hind of red. lls of dark ripe fruit....lots of character in the nose, a hint of tobbacco maybe licorice. high acidity, big body, this beer has a delightfully long chewy finish while somehow remaining refreshing even at the high abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shakespeare33 (203) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Pours a dark chocolate almost espresso type color with the coca cola caramel head.. The aroma is very intriguing.. I get the hoppiness but then as someone in an earlier rating pointed out, I get a faint sense of horseradish, a little sting to the nose that nudges the aroma along.. Initial hit to the palate is pure stone.. I mean forget the color, this is not a malt dominated ale, this thing hops like a rabbit wearing springs.. A bitter pine, earthy hop, with some roasted, toasty flavoring at the end. the first sip was overpowering and surprising but it settles in nicely as it warms.. The bitterness lingers a little too long for my likeing but I know thats just stone tagging their name.. I almost feel as though my palate has still yet to mature to the level where I can truly appreciate a complex ale such as this.. Ill have to review it another year or so.... another innovative ale from stone, this thing really has no catergory but is definitely enjoyable..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
General66 (203) - Streator, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2010
Bomber shared with my brother-in-law. I was pretty excited to have this brew because everything that I have had from Stone has been good. This did not disappoint. Poured a deep brown color with a one finger width tan head and mahogany tints around the edges. I thought I saw a bit of a cascade effect after it was poured also. The aroma consists of dark dried fruit, floral hops, and some sweet notes. The taste had the same characteristics as the aroma with some roasted malt thrown in for good measure. I was surprised with how much hop character I could pick up in this dark brew. It grew even more complex as the beer warmed. On paper, these characteristics may sound a bit weird... but this was a very well balanced brew! Another great product by Stone!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gabbama (203) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2011
Has an almost stout-like appearance with a very dark brown color and a creamy tan head. Very complex aroma that is dominated by floral and citrus hops with sweet, almost burnt caramel and just a touch of alcohol. Taste is sweet and malty up front with lots of chocolate, caramel, and some citrus. The sweetness quickly gives way to burnt coffee and bitter floral hops, then fades to a long, bitter finish. Creamy, medium body with soft carbonation. As usual, Stone’s egotistical description is not unwarranted. This one makes me a believer in a style that had previously left me dissappointed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Feinschmecker (202) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 10, 2007
Bottle. Complex citrus hoppy aroma with hints of chocolate and a prominence of alcohol. Color is dark brown. The slightly syrupy brew slides over the tongue while it is overwhelmed with the complex profile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brstp (201) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 25, 2007
On tap at City Beer Store. Pours a dark brown, no head unfortunately. Aroma is a wham bam thank you ma’am floral hops but eventually gets taken over by the caramel and coffee malt. Big hop bitterness with more of the same caramel and coffee cocoa malt. Very clean finish like the lightest citrus IPA, but with the backbone of a strong porter. Awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
WLG423 (201) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 15, 2010
Pours out dark black-brown with a light colored head. Aromas are notably hop heavy with an earthy aroma with strong notes of evergreen and lush forest. Flavors are more malt oriented, working well to create a delicious bitter-sweet balance of citrus/earth and caramel/toast. One of my favorite Stone creations.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jlieber17 (201) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 11, 2010
22oz bottle. Pours near-black with fairly thick tan head. Aroma is not nearly as hoppy as I would have expected, really more sweet; mocha, a bit of alcohol. Silky smooth in the mouth. Finishes with a kick of bitterness that doesn’t linger. Quite amazing, really.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
CopterScott (201) - Kansas, USA - JUN 22, 2014
Black with thin off-white head. aroma is roasty malts and pine. Flavor is dark chocolate, dark fruit, roast, and pine. This has a great, complex flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kroney (200) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 25, 2013
Pours black... and I mean black, with a thick two-finger peanut butter colored head. Even with the roasted malt backbone, the aroma is all hops(pine, citrus, a little spicey). Flavor has much more roasted malt flavor than the aroma, which is a great change-of-pace for a heavy leaning hop head/ipa fanatic. Finishes with a nice warming effect too. Medium, small bubble carbonation... easy drinking, which could be dangerous with an abv just south of 9%.