overall

RATINGS: 2143   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - JUL 12, 2009
On Tap at City Beer: Pours black with white head. Nose is pine, hops, and chocolate. Palate is just right, extremely easy drinking. Hoppy makes me happy and this one made me happy. Recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
foosnbrews (145) - Parker, Colorado, USA - JUN 26, 2010
I didnít know what this beer style was until I poored it and all I could think was IPA. Obviously a black IPA due to the color but closing my eyes IPA is driving style. Beer has an intense hop aroma with a touch of roasted aroma. Beer poors black with a very pale tan head. Beer flavor is bitter like an IPA but backing malt character is substituted with a very slight chocolate roasty flavor. Medium body with a slight drying astringency after swallow. Overall a very cool beer. Iíd definately get another.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
One2remeber (145) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - DEC 16, 2013
Bottle, enjoy by 02/27/2014. Prominent hop nose, fruity pepples, orange, light burnt/smoky. Heavy citrus orange. Softer grain mouthfeel, perhaps oat, rounds out the smokiness. Clean leafy hop oil resinous taste and aroma. One of my all-time favorites. Clean, pronounced hoppiness,

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
metalhead0043 (144) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - NOV 22, 2013
12 oz bottle for 4 bucks. Pours black with an amber hue and a huge tan head. Aroma is mostly a strong floral hop with some fruit, vanilla and caramel malt underneath. Taste is pretty much exclusively hop flavors; pine and floral. Not much finish on this one to speak of either. Body is average, average carbonation. Iím not really tasting any of the malt flavors in this one. It kinda just tastes like an IPA to me. Not bad by any stretch but it hasnít blown me away either.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
CopterScott (143) - Kansas, USA - JUN 22, 2014
Black with thin off-white head. aroma is roasty malts and pine. Flavor is dark chocolate, dark fruit, roast, and pine. This has a great, complex flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
saintjulien (143) - - JUL 7, 2014
coffee, roasty, grass, herbs, soy sauce, black, brown foam, light sweetness, very bitter, lightly sour, full body, slick feel, average carbonation, bitter

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jh773 (142) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 15, 2014
Smells a little hoppy with light notes of bread. Taste is slightly bitter with vague coffee notes and rye. Pleasantly carbonated. More subtle than I expected and very good.

Botnik (142) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2010
22oz bottle, dark, nearly black with a tan head and a bit of lacing. The fresh tang of piney hops of an IPA and the dark malt background of a porter give this beer an identity crisis. However, this example is a combination of the best traits of both, Excellent beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopheadsbrew (142) - Illinois, USA - JUN 30, 2013
Mahogany clear appearance. Smells like piney hops and roasted malt. Thick creamy head. Flavors of roasted malt and chocolate with a hoppy aftertaste. Well balanced and smooth bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GlenVargas (141) - Missouri, USA - FEB 26, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2010 Oh, man, I popped open an 11th Anniversary bottle a while back when I was in desperate need of another drink post-beer :30 at the tail end of an already long night. That might have been a mistake because all I can really remember about this beer was that it was awesome! The numerical ratings are based on what I can recall, but I think Iíll have to save the full review for next time--thank goodness Stone continued making this brew.