overall

RATINGS: 2153   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
liquidhedonism (121) - Beaverton, Oregon, USA - SEP 16, 2014
22 oz bottle from Fred Meyer’s in Beaverton, OR. Aroma is sweet and woody, with strong hints of burned coffee. Sweetness in the beginning gets immediately overtaken by the astringency of the roasted grains and the bitterness of the hops. I would not necessarily call this beer balanced, but I would certainly call it complex. Then again, I prefer sweeter Black IPAs, and I don’t generally care for overly dry and astringent roasted grains. Regardless, I would gladly drink this again. And again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Humlehode (120) - Oslo, NORWAY - OCT 26, 2014
Pours black with light brown head. Aroma of citrus, chocolate and some roasted, smokey notes. Very smooth and balanced, but yet complex taste. A superb beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
oc4111 (119) - USA - JAN 27, 2013
Haven’t tried many black IPA’s so I figured this was a good place to start. Pours like a porter but aroma and taste leave no doubt it’s and IPA. A very well balanced IPA. Pine, some citrus and a hint of roasted malt. Excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BSchnab (118) - Florida, USA - APR 11, 2013
Sell was citrus hops taste was of hops and roasty. Color was very dark with a 2 finger head that held

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
portermax55 (118) - Canterbury, Connecticut, USA - NOV 25, 2007
22oz. bomber. Pours a deep, dark brown with a medium tan head that laces nicely. Wonderful aromas of fresh hops, baked apples, brown sugar and hints of pear and malt. Flavor is of hops, caramel, pears, and spice with hints of malts to finish. Has a very smooth, velvety mouthfeel. One of the more interesting brews I have had in a while, but awesome all in itself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
forsides (118) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 28, 2010
black/brown with a nice fluffy head. lots of citrusy hops in the aroma. big taste with lots of hop bitterness, some dark malt bitterness, slight cream and coffee taste in the background, finishing pretty bitter. med-full bodied.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sheerbrewing (117) - Athens-Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 19, 2012
Pours a dark dark brownish black with a thick tan frothy head that leaves a nice lacing. Aroma is balanced between rich malt and bright hops with some roastiness. rich full mouthfeel with smooth creamy carbonation. Flavor is an amazing balance of malt and hop, malt has both caramel and roasty notes and the hop bitterness is strong up front but then transforms into an absolutely delicious hop flavor. Overall this may be one of my favorite beers to date, I can’t get over the balance and the malty goodness then the hop flavor is right on... And it’s black and roasty... Gonna be hard to top this ipa.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
southamptonsam (116) - New York, USA - JAN 24, 2009
An old Stone XI Anniversary from my basement. Made me realize how I have gotten away from hops oriented beers. At first it seemed jarringly hoppy but the creamy complexity soon won me over.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aholmb1 (116) - New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - JUN 15, 2013
Appearance: opaque black, little foam from the draft, minimal lacing on the glass Aroma: slight hoppy smell, not very aromatic Taste: hoppy and bitter, not very overwhelming flavor, not as chocolate or coffee taste as expected Palette: bitter Overall: this is an excellent beer, different than what I expected but pleasantly surprised ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hkrivera (116) - Guaynabo, PUERTO RICO - FEB 14, 2014
Never expected this "Ale" to be like this one. Dark, roasted malt flavor; strong taste as all Stone Brewery Beers. Excellent choice ! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone