overall

RATINGS: 2111   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
boccefloyd (101) - Bon Air, Virginia, USA - JUL 15, 2010
Citrusy / piney hop flavors and bitterness come through nicely and more than balance out the roasted malt backbone. Tan head is large, long lasting, and knows how to lace a glass. Im liking this beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
k9coug (101) - USA - OCT 11, 2010
I better rate this beer half-way through the bottle less my intoxication empare my judgment (and my spelling). Loved the aroma, reminded me of juniper and Im a big gin guy. Well balanced, caramel, distinctly bitter. Hard to believe it is a wine strength ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AHTOH (101) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 14, 2011
Bomber. Duvel tulip.

APPEARANCE: Pitch black. Hues of deep dark brown only barely discernible at the edges when held to light. Head is dark beige, creamy, has lengthy retention, minimal lace.

AROMA: Citrus (grapefruit) and grassy hops, lightly roasted malt, light coffee. Hops more prominent than malt. Hints of dark bitter chocolate.

TASTE: Citrusy and some grassy hop taste combined with hop and roasted malt bitterness. More roasted malts on taste than on nose, however hops still more prominent than malt. Hints of chocolate malt.

MOUTH FEEL: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Alcohol well hidden behind bitterness and roasty characteristics.

OVERALL: Bitter finish a tad more bitter and longer lasting than would have preferred. Like drinking an Americano with grapefruit peel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
phillybeer7779 (101) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2011
Black in color, hops primarily on the nose. Hoppy flavor with roasted malt flavor. No hint at all of the alcohol.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBeCue (101) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 8, 2012
Bomber poured into snifter. Pours a very dark brown which is almost opaque. Gives a 1/2" inch tan head which reduces to a flat spot in the middle of the glass. Leaves a very fine lacing. Aroma is very roasty and floral hops, a bit "chocolaty" and a quite bit of coffee (which becomes even more intense as the beer warms up). Taste is medium-bitter wih some alcohol presence developping around 12 degrees Celcius. Body is rather full with a slick/nearly oily texture. Carbonation is average for this style. Bitter finish which lasts quite a while! This is a really, really good beer. I have to confess that this is only my 2nd black IPA and the first one was really just "ok" and weighted in at 6% only. So in my book, this is a "double black IPA" and is something really different from the last one I drank. I like this one better!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
nj_BierMaven (100) - Flemington, New Jersey, USA - SEP 5, 2012
Bottle pour too many times to count, one of my all-time favorites. Concentrated on this as I tasted tonight, citrus-pine aroma that is surprising for a beer that appears so black. Coffee, mild hints of chocolate, delicious malty underlayer that counterbalances the bitterness. Significant bitterness in the taste as well as the hoppy citrus aroma that kicks you in the face. Anyone who has ever homebrewed understands why this costs what it does, so many hops had to go into a beer of this magnitude. Just plain awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
iNBe (100) - USA - SEP 2, 2010
When I saw that they were selling these beers in my area, I made sure I got one of each. First time I dropped over $100 on beer alone. This beer was pretty good.

ChrisJ (100) - Warrenton, Virginia, USA - OCT 28, 2007
Aroma is big hoppy some grapefruit and pine. Poursdark amber almost opaque. Redness comes out when lookked at aginst light. Has a nice caramel head that leaves light lacing on the glass. Big robust hoppy flavor that is typical of stone ales. The citrus flavor is very powerful. Grapefruit is most prominant but there is some other citrus as well as pine, resin, and I picked up a hint of roasted malt. Surprisingly well balanced flavor with the 8.7% abv. well hidden. The finish is slightly bitter. Mouth feel is medium to light and very smooth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chrisafari (100) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 4, 2008
Growler fill from the Brewery. Pours dark black with a small white head. Slight aroma of hops. Flavor of malt and nice sweet hops. Flavor and aroma seem to have faded over the year. Had it earlier last year, and it was much better! OK.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
flyingshoes (100) - USA - MAY 29, 2009
22 oz bottle. Nearly perfect. Delicious blend of sweet chocolate and floral citrus, rounded out by some light fruits and a nutty overtone. One of the most complex brews Ive had, and my favorite Stone offering.