overall

RATINGS: 2220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Were brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - JUL 12, 2009
On Tap at City Beer: Pours black with white head. Nose is pine, hops, and chocolate. Palate is just right, extremely easy drinking. Hoppy makes me happy and this one made me happy. Recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
foosnbrews (145) - Parker, Colorado, USA - JUN 26, 2010
I didnt know what this beer style was until I poored it and all I could think was IPA. Obviously a black IPA due to the color but closing my eyes IPA is driving style. Beer has an intense hop aroma with a touch of roasted aroma. Beer poors black with a very pale tan head. Beer flavor is bitter like an IPA but backing malt character is substituted with a very slight chocolate roasty flavor. Medium body with a slight drying astringency after swallow. Overall a very cool beer. Id definately get another.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GlenVargas (144) - Missouri, USA - FEB 26, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2010 Oh, man, I popped open an 11th Anniversary bottle a while back when I was in desperate need of another drink post-beer :30 at the tail end of an already long night. That might have been a mistake because all I can really remember about this beer was that it was awesome! The numerical ratings are based on what I can recall, but I think Ill have to save the full review for next time--thank goodness Stone continued making this brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GarageBrewer80 (143) - SWEDEN - MAR 28, 2015
Svart jordig frg. Liten smutsbrun skumkrona. Doft av rostad malt. R besk smak. Torkade fikon, salmiak och starkt kaffe.

Botnik (142) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2010
22oz bottle, dark, nearly black with a tan head and a bit of lacing. The fresh tang of piney hops of an IPA and the dark malt background of a porter give this beer an identity crisis. However, this example is a combination of the best traits of both, Excellent beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopheadsbrew (142) - Illinois, USA - JUN 30, 2013
Mahogany clear appearance. Smells like piney hops and roasted malt. Thick creamy head. Flavors of roasted malt and chocolate with a hoppy aftertaste. Well balanced and smooth bitter finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DragonsHead (142) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - FEB 8, 2008
What the @@@@ is an IBA? India Black Ale? Wonderful taste, but I dont know how to rank it. Cant wait to see what comes out next year!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gamin (141) - Brockport, New York, USA - AUG 18, 2014
Poured from a 22 ounce bottle about three weeks after it's enjoy by date so keep that in mind. Pours a deep black with a nice head that holds for a little while. Smells mostly of hops (mostly grass) with little to no roastiness noticeable. Taste is bitter up front with a balanced hop character and a bit of roasted malt at the very end. It goes down easy and is complex and interesting. You can't really go wrong with this one. Based on this example I would not be scared off if it's a bit past its enjoy by date, especially if you can get a deal.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
IPAGargoyleGuy (140) - Troy, NY, New York, USA - APR 3, 2008
Interesting beer, not quite what I was expecting. It has a more malty and nutty character than most IPAs but with enough hops to till live up to the name. i like a crisp finish on an IPA, but this was a bit different with malts and bitterness coming through together.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
McGrupp612 (139) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2009
I loved this beer as the 11th anniversary, and i am so happy to see it again. Pitch black with a large tan head. The aroma is thick with hops. Citrus, pine and bitter coffee invite me to smell and smell. Much lighter body than expected but still very good. Awesome flavor...Sharp bitterness, hop flavor, dry dark malt bitterness and a little bit of fruit. It finished bone dry. Sharp lingering bitterness, slight roast (robust porter/dry stout), and a wisper of wood. Excellent brew!!!!!