overall

RATINGS: 2035   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
STEVIE_NIX (35) - - FEB 19, 2013
This is the real deal! The best US BIPA for sure! Bottle from cotteridge wines. Pours a nice black with a thick tan head. The aroma was fairly muted which didn’t really set me up for what was to come. Taste was a great balance not to heavy or bitter, spot on. Initial flavours of mocha from the malts and salted caramel. Then the citrus hit from the hops move in with its grapefruit tang and nice lasting bitterness In the mouth. Another great stone. Beer. As it say on the bottle, sublime.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cheosky (33) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - APR 23, 2012
Amazing beer. Full body whit long bitter and smoky finish. It has a taste that I cannot des ribs right now. I need anotwher bottle. Wow it is strong on the alcohol side....bye

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alesandangling (32) - Pueblo, Colorado, USA - FEB 7, 2011
One of my favorite Black IPA/Cascade Porters. The color and aroma were great. I think Stone gave the beer great malt and hop qualities.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
thegreat78 (32) - San Marcos, California, USA - NOV 2, 2007
Cola brown as it poured from the bottle. The head was active and bubbly at first, then settled to a thin mousse; left no lacing on the glass. In the glass, the color was dark brown with some deep red visible against backlighting. The smell is rich with both sweet malt and spicey hops. The mouthfeel was fluffy as though this were a cask-conditioned beer. Interesting! There are definite dark-roasted, slightly burnt notes in the flavor. The burnt malt flavor dominates the hops hops somewhat, so the hops in the smell are stronger than in the flavor. This is a very interesting hybrid style

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tomaroth (31) - Troy, Michigan, USA - JAN 21, 2008
Not as good as I expected. I have 5 more bottles so I am going to age it and see if it improves. Too much spice and corriander.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JML044 (31) - Illinois, USA - FEB 3, 2013
Great Caramel color. Nice hoppy flavor. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jedinord (30) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - APR 19, 2010
On tap at Willard’s Tap House in Largo, FL. Dark brown color with tan foam to the head, and lasting, curtainy lacing. The aroma was mostly hoppy with a hint of the malt. The flavor was like a porter with a potent hop bitterness which linked up to substantial dryness in the finish. really, really good stuff!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NephrenKa (27) - Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 3, 2007
No light passed through the ebon liquid in my glass; this stuff is a muddy black color, though it tastes little like it looks. The head was surprisingly aggressive, foaming almost malignantly like a soda. Sweetly floral aromas overwhelm an expected rush of hops, with a hint of ginger accompanying the alcohol. I was surprised at how little character the beer had upfront, as I typically expect strong IPA’s to knock me off my feet at the first kiss; but this beast waited a little while before pouncing. The middle flavor was a great, fullmouthed rush of hops, but not overwhelming. Just a pinch of coffee underpins the hops. After swallowing, I could feel the hops flavor ebb and flow not unlike distant cannonfire, while a faint frothy cream lingered on the back of my tongue. Overall, this beer is really damn good. Surprisingly, it doesn’t taste as strong as the 8.2% alcohol, but boy did I feel it after drinking the whole bomber.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Scott_Snyder (27) - USA - JUN 27, 2011
Nice thick tan head sits atop a pitch black beer. Interesting aromas. Piney, Grassy, fresh hop aromas, some roastiness and bready also. Very full bodied, malty/stickiness, lots of carbonation and alcohol warms the throat all the way down. Outstanding malty sweetness and hop bitterness, and although not harmoniously balanced, it is a very enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HELL666 (27) - Athens, GREECE - APR 7, 2012
Black with red touches. Aroma roasted malt, chocolate and pine. Taste roasted malt, caramel and hoppy . Body medium, carbonation light with bitter end. Very good