overall

RATINGS: 2092   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
heynik1885 (56) - North Tonawanda, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2010
Dark brown pour with light beige head. Good lacing on glass. Smells of carmel, raisins, pine, nice earthiness. Taste is strong and smooth and lingers for awhile. Bitterness and alcohol are balanced well. Awesome IPA

mezr (55) - California, USA - SEP 4, 2012
22 oz bottle purchased at Stone Brewing Co. Pours a dark, dark brown ... not quite black. Develops a half-inch deep tan head that dissipates to a film over a few minutes. Aroma is that of pine, citrus and coffee. Slightly sticky. Average carbonation. Bitter finish that lasts long, slowly tailing off. Stone did a great job with this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thoramel (55) - Ohio, USA - SEP 21, 2007
Nice black color with a small head that reduces to a decent froth/lace. Upon openeing the bottle the hop smell jumps out and gabs you. The taste is quite unique with a strong malt component balanced with the bitter hop flavor to produce a taste that is original (at least to my tastebuds). The hops really explode in the finish with a taste that may ruin my tongue for the other beer I chose for tonight. Not in a bad way, mind you, just in a way that makes me wish I had another bottle of this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SFtaster (54) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 5, 2010
On tap at Rosamunde (Mission) to kick off SF Beer Week 2010. Stoned again by their masterful craftmanship with yeast, malt, and hops. This brew is a real treat for self-righteous lovers of American-style strong, dark ale. The brew packs a full blast of bitterness to cut through the 8.7 ABV. Not for the faint of heart, but the path of extremism leads to the palace of wisdom.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
TheShepherds (54) - chapel hill, North Carolina, USA - MAR 1, 2013
A pleasant taste of Dirt, followed up by an overwhelming sense of grapefruit. We chock-full-o didnít like this beer! Since everyone else seems to love it....we are apparently broken. :) Apparently we are not self-righteous enough. Sorry, but to us....ICK. PS, Would taste better with a few tablespoons of sugar....we hear it helps the medicine go down. PPS Even the belches taste like grapefruit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gluepot (54) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 10, 2014
Right from the nose, you know what you are getting into here -- take-no- prisoners earthy, grassy hops on a rich roasted malt base. The heavy hop tastes get right back into your jowls, and sustain predictably well. A challenging, dark heavy-weight black IPA. A standard bearer, for sure.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoooraybeer (53) - Westfield, New Jersey, USA - NOV 28, 2007
This is the most amazing aroma Iíve ever gotten off a beer. Iím cheating by doing the rating 2 months after I had it. But I couldnít forget the aroma because it was like putting two handfuls of fresh hops in your face. Coming off of a stout. It is amazingly well crafted. Take a great stout and IPA and slam them together. I wanted to cellar this because the flavors could use a little blending. Alcohol is very well masked.

doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Rich, inky black pour with little light shining through. A moderate off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Looks like black beer. Aromas of grapefruit, pine. No doubt about it, this is an IPA! Hops are not overpowering, but are blended nicely. As I drink this, if I close my eyes I swear Iím drinking an IPA, but when I look at the beer, my brain says no way. Very interesting brew. I like it. A very clean finish. This is a smooth beer. The ABV is very well hidden. Overall, a very drinkable and unique beer.

dashiell22 (51) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 25, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2010 Poured near-black out of a 22 oz. bottle. Very tasty and slow-drinking. It accompanied me down the rabbit hole during the Lost series finale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhilDBrewer (50) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 31, 2012
Pours dark, dark brown - almost black with a thick tan head. This beer looks fantastic. Aroma is of roasted malts, chocolate, and citrus hops. Taste to match the aroma. Full bodied with a smooth finish. Overall, excellent.