overall

RATINGS: 2220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
birderbeerer (112) - Virginia, USA - MAR 20, 2011
Pours from the bottle like a strong tea, results in a black beer. Three-finger latte head with near complete lacing. Sticky, piney, pineapple, grapefruit hop aromas. Super sweet and lush smelling. Hops and malt come through big together. Dry and sticky from the hops. The hops follow the aroma and the malts are a cocoa dusted almonds. Dark and dry malts combined fruity, sticky hops. Yum.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
PD4Ever (109) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAY 1, 2012
22oz bottle poured into tulip glass. No bottled on date. Aroma: citrus, fruity, floral hops, malt, caramel Appearance: very dark brown color, doesn’t let much light through. 1 finger milk chocolate colored head that faded rather quickly. very small and tight packed bubbles. laces glass nicely. fairly clear once i drank towards the bottom of the glass and light could get through. Taste: mild sweet, mild sour, mild bitter Palate: roasty aftertaste, lots of malt and coffee with a twinge of bitter. i like this alot. Carbonation is average but feels right. medium body and thin texture. Overall: I was afraid this was going to be extremely bitter considering the other stone beers I have tried but i was pleasantly surprised. Also I wasnt expecting the roasty malt and coffee flavors which i also liked. Some chocolate came through as well. Not as hoppy as i expected either. Just an extremely well balanced and tasty brew with a few surprises. Very impressed!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Doon (109) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Another nice beer from Stone. Pours a dark brown color with a huge head. I wasn’t sure to make of it at first, but one whiff had me sold. It had a strong hoppy aroma. Not seeing the bottle prior to the pour, I was thinking this was some sort of stout. Not so! Nice fruity/citrusy aroma with a taste that matches. Very crisp, light, and smooth. Try this one!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gluepot (109) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 10, 2014
Right from the nose, you know what you are getting into here -- take-no- prisoners earthy, grassy hops on a rich roasted malt base. The heavy hop tastes get right back into your jowls, and sustain predictably well. A challenging, dark heavy-weight black IPA. A standard bearer, for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopMasterFlex (108) - Carlsbad, California, USA - FEB 1, 2011
This is a go to beer for me. When the 11th anniversary came out I must have drank 20 bottles. It was my first time with a black ipa and frankly I never looked back. Though I feel the 11th was better than the sublimely I was still stoked to have it available year round. It bours black with a root beer hue. The head is an inviting tan. Smell is pure hops and I love it. The subtle toasted malt are present as well. This beer is the definition of an iba. The color is black bit it drinks like an ipa. Super hoppy and delicious. Nothing bad to say about this other than the smaller batch of the 11th was better. I still have 4 bottles of the 11th and I drank one the other day. The profile is completely different as you’d expect. The piney hop flavors are gone and the malt flavors are huge, it’s almost choclatey. It is a completely different beer but still delicious!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
livelaughlovep (108) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - APR 17, 2009
UPDATED: APR 19, 2009 This is such an amazingly strange beer... Its dark like a stout, hoppy like an IPA with a malty sweet swallow like a brown. What is this stuff? Its great though! Wonderful rich mouthfeel, nose is fruity, with a dark and dry fruit taste in the mouth, decisively malty and dry finish. What really gets you is how hoppy it is. Its so dark, yet the hops are really up in your face, bold, citrus n’ pine that catches you off guard... well worth finding it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ksigty (107) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Growler from the brewery. It was worth the drive out there. Somewhat sweet but packs a heck of a punch. Lots of hops and some roasted notes. Goes down smooth and has a finish with some bite. I’ll be back for more.....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
barak316 (107) - Elyria, Ohio, USA - JUN 6, 2010
Poured a deep black with a dark caramel head. Huge malted and hoppy aromas. This beer has character all up in it. Wow, big hoppy tastes with the same amount of smooth caramel malty flavors. This has big mouthfeel and a great finish that lingers but doesnt linger past its welcome. Awesome beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PacNWDad (107) - Washington, USA - JUL 18, 2012
I enjoyed this beer a lot . Nice pour with a good amount of head and some lace. Aromas of caramel, with a bit of floral tones and some funk. A dark, rich beer with a surprising amount of hops. The beer begins sweet and malty, more balanced roasted flavors in the middle, and then clobbers with hops at the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dansac (107) - Loa Angeles, Alabama, USA - JAN 27, 2014
Not huge on Black IPAs, but Stone makes one of the best. Pours like a fizzly porter; black; smell is hops and roasted malts: resiny and citrusy. Mouthfeel is medium to full, cirsp carbonation. Flavor is bitter, with toasted malts, and hop bitterness. Dry finish. Overall, an excellent black IPA, second only to Firestone’s Wookey Jack, and Clown Shoes’ Hoppy Feet 1.5