overall

RATINGS: 2092   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - SEP 8, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2007 Tipped back 8-30-2007 to honor of the Grand Poobah of beer, MJ..... Pours almost balck w/ a tall creamy froth. Head retention is superb slowly reducing to reveal a full downy canopy of thick, sticky lacing. The aroma tells the tale of a full blown IPA complete w/ generous citrus rind overtones accompanied by only mild whiffs of malt. The aroma doesnít match the color. I expected some roast component to factor in but itís just not there. Iím not complaining though. Itís the Criss Angel mind freak show. Full nectar w/ creamy soft residual effers. Itís like drinking heavy cream. Nice! Now thats what Iím talkiní boutí. Texture goes a long way w/ me and this ones there all the way. Itís mildly sweet like my third grade teacher but throws copper at you when arroused. A big roasted malty backbone supports the colony while Robo Hop hacks down the sludge walls with his electrified pole arm. As the fight ensues nuances are laid waste yet accounted for by my accute palate. Theres a defined chunky chocolate creep in the shadows that creates a diversion from the backbone and clobbers Robo Hop in the face on the way down. Nuances of molases, beef jerkey, leather, slight smoke, and grapefruit citrus rind. Could this be the "Smoked Indian" Iíve heard about ? The finish is so well balanced w/ perfect bittering of all the decadent slop. Even though the chocolate malts persist to the end theres a defined asprin burn that lingers and tingles the tongue for a while. Damn, I wanít another one. This is the best new seasonal these guys have put out since V5. Wagner is a genius!

Trooper11 (468) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - OCT 7, 2007
WOW! Stone not only knows beer, but really knows IPAís. What a change from last year. This one was surprisingly more awesome then I had hoped for. Looks like a porter, dark brown, with a light brown head. Pours like a stout, beautiful, teasing cascading affect. Taste like an IIPA. WOW! Strong citrusy grapefruit aroma, intense bitter pineyness and incredible citrus flavor. Dry, dry, dry finish, great bitter aftertaste. Easy to drink and incredibly satisfying for you hopheads.

ksurkin (1021) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - FEB 5, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2009 my goodness. i had been waiting for the 11th to come out for a while and finally got my hands on 6 bottles (thanks Kevin) and i was totally stunned. the beer pours a midnight black with a perfect tan head and the aroma of...simcoe hops?! my favorite hops, with aroma of pine, apricot, and ginger. and the hoppy profile of the beer was perfect. amazingly smooth. the flavors were coffee, coriander, pine, and of course hops. not a hint of alcohol sting even at 8.7%. honestly, stoneís best beer to date and possible the best iíve ever had. long live the Black IPA. *UPDATE* finally got the chance to try this one as the reincarnated sublimely self righteous...and itís every bit as amazing as my young palate thought over a year ago. simply an expertly crafted, unique, and delicious brew.

nathan30533 (580) - Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - DEC 16, 2009
I donít do it often... and Iím not proud to say that I do it at all.... but here is another perfect rating. Maybe at another time I drink again and re-rate but I must say it is amazing. Pours dark dark amber/brown. lite brown head. Great taste of something sweet. Aroma is arrousing to the nose. NO complaints at all.

Merin (18) - Arizona, USA - MAR 4, 2010
FINALLY was available in my area. Ive been wating to try this one for a long time...and it was definitly worth the anticipation. Perfect beer. Enough said.

celticindian (1) - USA - MAY 22, 2010 does not count
Let em start by saying Iím Irish, and damned proud of it. I gre up with great European beers, even though I never had a tase for lighter beverages, I appreciated them. But Guinness and Warstainer Dunkel were always my drinks of choice. Then, one glorious day, I had my first Arrogant Bastard Ale. What was this?, I asked. An american brew with actual character, bitterness, distinction and real FLAVOR. I was hooked. Since that day I have enjoyed Stone products without reserve. Then this, the apex of the art of brewing, the pinnacle of malt perfection. Amazing. From the appearence, resembling Tyra banks in a glass, to the phenomenal bitterness that recalls a fresh, hurtful divorce, to the finale of aftertaste that is remeniscient of the afterglow of a first sexual experience, this f*&^er rocks. I am only sorry that itís not readily available on tap. A downer for sure, but I am content, for that moment to indulge in one of the other remakable Stone products while watching the ignorant masses let the yellow runnings of lesser productions wash over their tongues like so much hobo urine over the abandoned city curbs in a derelict metropolis.

jerich01 (16) - USA - JUN 26, 2010
This beer is fantastic. Pours cleanly with a fruitiness on the palate. As the beer warms the flavors evolve into chocolaty notes over a warm dark malt base. I can see why the demand for this beer was so high.

bigred22 (84) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - NOV 8, 2010
This is the best beer I have had yet. Man this was a good beer! Dark/Malty like a porter and fresh like a great IPA. The Aroma was like an IPA, but there was so much more in this one!

mnurda (1106) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - APR 17, 2011
My first five. This beer was absolutely fantastic. These Black IPAs are unreal. Canít wait to getmore of this one.

EvanFriend (297) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2011
Iíve had a few other black IPAs but this is the only one that really stands out. Tastes of strong hop bitterness well balanced with a porter-like malty undertone. Absolutely delicious.