overall

RATINGS: 2036   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
riversideAK (5560) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - SEP 20, 2007
In the aroma I get alot of grapefruit hops, some licorice, and lots of roasty notes. Pours pretty much black with a thin tan head. Nice and bitter. The hops pretty much over power everything else in this beer except for a little bit of sweet roasted malt, a little bit of yeasty notes, and the alcohol. Dry mouthfeel. Lots of noticable warm alcohol. This one would probably be very good if aged, as it would smooth out a bit. Pretty nice nonetheless, but not the best they have to offer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 20, 2007
From a 22oz Bottle. Pours a very dark, mostly transparent brown color with some ruby hues and a thick layer of foamy gray-ish tan head. Huge hop nose, bursting with leafy Chinook and catty Simcoe. I think Iím getting a hint of nutty malts, but itís mainly just dank. Medium bodied, softly carbonated mouthfeel with a cutting hop edginess. Very odd texture considering the aroma. It has a distintly soft maltiness coupled with a harsh hop bite. I think I might actually enjoy this a lot more with a different hop selection. Some chewy chocolate nougat and smooth caramels rest gently on the palate, while a prickling assault of pulpy grapefruit hop pith tingles the top and sides of my mouth. The citrus definitely overwelms the roasty flavors. I find myself wanting to become more intimately familiar with the malt bill, but the hops, a one dimensional white grapefruit bomb, keeps interupting the introduction. I just breathed in some of this elixir, and I now feel like somebody just tried to drown me in late winter spruce resin. Regaining my senses, I find some gentler, more tobacco-like caramels floating in before it finishes with a final hop blow. Well constructed, but definitely strives for polarity rather than harmony.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BlackForestCO (975) - Aurora, Colorado, USA - SEP 27, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2009 Poured from a bomber. Pours a beautiful deep brown (black) color with a moderate tan head that slowly diminished. Aroma of hops with underlying malts. Slight malt flavor leads into a hop explosion in the middle that lets out a bit of fruit flavor. Roastiness comes out more as the beer warms. Nice lacing and full on the palate. Seems like it would be awesome aged for a while to balance out the hops, I will have to see if I can find another to keep. Awesome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stine (1453) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 27, 2007
Charred oak pour, red light in the bottom. A lovely mocha milkshake head has a very long life. Strawberry, orange, and pine oil aroma. Pineapple, brown sugar and full candied malt foundation. Chocolate and nougat. Taste belies a bold Simcoe and Amarillo partnership. Underneath, the farbe malting hasnít removed any black malt astringency, although itís maybe dulled it a bit. Ashy french roast grind soaks in over the slick citrus sweetness, and fairly typical shampoo taste. Some cola. Quiet green apple tartness is well-placed, preceding a sweet lick of brownies with a bit of salt. An outside touch of watermelon sugar, which is lovely. This has the texture quality of an almost unroasted south american coffee; citrusy acidity dominates. A leafy hint of mint and sandy dark chocolate at the finish, and a burnt espresso flowering; the density of the dark malts leaves the slightest lingering of acrid touch. A surprisingly successful fusion of two elements, in themselves ripe with the possibility of unbelievable astringency.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (7797) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 9, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2010 rerate needed... itís actually quite good when fresh. probably in the 3.5-3.8 range.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
crazyvin (1859) - New York, USA - OCT 10, 2007
on tap at the lazy boy. Poured a very dark amber hue with a thin off white head which had decent lacing. Aroma was mostly hops, mainly pine like, however there were notes rich caramel notes. The flavor was similar to its aroma, it seemed a little more maltier then the aroma indicated. Overall it was good, but it never really seemed unique too me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Silphium (3158) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 19, 2007
If anything, Stone suffers from its lack of an identity crisis. I was enticed by the idea of an IPA paired with dark malts, as these beers often please my palate (see Founders Black Rye). Unfortunately, the Stone "signature" dominates 11th Anniversary Ale, by which I mean a thick, oily body dominated by resiny, biting, citrusy and piney hops that are strong enough to make this a failed differentiation from their regular IPA products. The chocolaty, dark malt characteristics are present, but not assertive enough. Itís as if Stone tried to branch out but decided to pull back and make another safe, unchallenging beer. On a positive note, the deep, translucent garnet red-brown body is a beauty. To my dismay, this elegance subsided to above-average but not intriguing upon imbibition.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AmEricanbrew (5523) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - OCT 25, 2007
Popping the cap on this it smells like an IPA, pouring it in a glass it looks like a porter. Nice piney hops with an earthy musty peat malt type flavor. Smooth mouthfeel and relatively easy drinking for a Stone big brew. 10/23/07

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - OCT 26, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2007 Bottle- Opened at Siebel- Very dark black car. good off white foamy head. Nose is strong citrus hops. Some roasted notes in the backround. Very interesting big american hops up front backed up with a lack of roasted charachter throws my brain off.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrRomero (1972) - Nolanville, USA - NOV 22, 2007
22oz bottle: poured very dark brown with a large brown head. Big bitter hop aroma. Flavor was mostly hops, some pine and citrus notes. Mild maltiness which lends to the slight sweetness in the finish. Good.