overall

RATINGS: 2040   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madscotsman (147) - Fairview Heights, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2007 Poured a nice dark brown with a large off white head. Had a hops and citrus aroma. Had some malt in the palate along with more hops. The malt and hops were very balanced and neither seemed to overpower the other. The alcohol was slightly there when it started to warm up. Special thanks to my next door neighbor for bringing me this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wheninhell (488) - chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2007
black body with dark brown edges. nice big dark tan head that settles into a thin film and eventually disappears. big piney grapefruit aroma with a hint of toffee and a touch of chocolate. bitter piney grapefruit flavor with a hint of toffee and chocolate. very bitter lasting finish with some toffee notes. finish very dry. alcohol present. medium to full body with a somewhat creamy but lively mouth feel. not bad.....just over the top bitter. it needs more balance and subtlety. im gonna have to age a couple of these for a year or two just to see if this stuff gets a little more balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MIBRomeo (2494) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Dark pour, huge frothy sticky lacing of that tan head. Hoppy aroma, citrus, fruits, definate cereals. Avg pal. Nice overly bitter, touch of grassiness in the finish. Bitter front w/ good caramel and alcohol overly prevelant. Not to bad, had better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - OCT 20, 2007
On tap at Barclays in Oakland, CA. Nice chocolaty and hoppy aroma. Smooth, hides the alcohol pretty well, except for a little hot alcohol mid-palate. I was thinking de-husked carafa or chocolate malt before reading the description - I guess thatís pretty close to what we have here. Definitely not bitter dark malts, no roasted barley. The citrus qualities make this a bit like a fruit flavored chocolate, in the best ways. Chinook and Amarillo are pretty apparent, I wouldnít have guessed Simcoe though. The signature simcoe citrus grapefruit blends interestingly with the darker malts. The finish is pretty smooth, I think they had pretty good attenuation on this one. The slight hot alcohol will probably improve with age, as well as the melding of hop profile with the darker malts. Iíd like to see Stone do this IPA with a British IPA hop strategy in the bittering and a little Stone touch in the finish. I couldnít drink this every day, but it was tasty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
gsmitty80 (1741) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 3, 2007
Poured a dark mollassas type color with thick head. Smelled of alcohol and malt with some killer hops. Tasted very good and very strong with a mix of hop textures.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jhwarfield (125) - USA - NOV 10, 2007
Bottle. Pours black a bit like flatish coke. Small pebbly brown head. moulases flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
tomhenderson (166) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 18, 2007
Iíve had this beer twice. The second time was much better than the first, so Iím glad I resampled at a recent homebrew club meeting. My first impression was that itís not even remotely related to an IPA; my second taste provided the IPA style I longed for in the first round. Just think IPA with dark, roasty malts added!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 2, 2007
On tap at Collins a while back. Black with small head. Perfume hop aroma. Interesting taste...nice roasted malt with a little black licorice. a bit of metallic bitterness. Good beer, the bitterness just throws me off.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBeer45 (1210) - Michigan, USA - JAN 10, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2009 Bomber bottle, pours very dark almost black, is a dark ruby when viewed against a light, I poured this into a chalice and a tulip, the tulip provided more of a head, a dark tan foamy medium size head that receded and left dark tan bubbled lacings on the glass, aromas of roasted and toasted malt, faint chocolate, hops have fagrances of grass, pine needles, citrus and some faint floral notes, there is some malt caramel and sweetness, lots of piney and citrus hop flavor, malt sweetness, dark roasted malt flavors, caramel, remnants of malt flavor and sweetness are left behind at the finish, malt sweetness really comes out as this warms but stays in its preferable place without being overly strong, mouth feel is somewhat bubbly with carbonation, not overly so, nice on the palate, comes across as a IPA made with roasted malt. I think if you like IPAs and lots of hops you will like this, this is a IPA made with dark malt, I thought the hops overshadowed the malt a little, this was interesting but a different beer is going to be interesting the first time around, this would not spark my palate to want to try again, I prefer Stoneís Arrogant much more than this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
smashteroid (262) - Alabama, USA - FEB 10, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2008 Served cold from bottle. Pours dark brown/black with a fairly thick off-white head. Good lacing. Aroma is sweet with malts and some citrus-y flavors. Not particularly flavorful as far as I am concerned. The hops overshadow any of the other ingredients, which is fine, but I look for more flavor in a "strong ale". If I was in the mood for an ESB or an extreme IPA, thatíd be one thing, but I guess due to the uniqueness of this beer and the quality output Stone normally produces, the 11th left something to be desired.