overall

RATINGS: 2035   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

raiderfost (168) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - NOV 10, 2007
WOW!!!!!!!! This is heaven. Poured a rich dark brown with a light brown head. I was instantly overcome by the aroma of hops that no other IPA could recreate.The next 20 minutes were amazing! I have to get more of this! Thank you GandGKevin.

cornfed (16) - Colorado, USA - APR 15, 2010
This is one of my all-time favorites. I am a fan of big stouts and big IPA’s. This is a great combo; one big-ass black IPA. You get the roastiness of a good stout with a huge hop and malt balance. I have not found a better beer to compliment a cornfed ribeye

jstraw (1900) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2010
Dark mahogany with good, creamy, tan head / Big weedy, grassy nose / Medium body, chewy, sharply hoppy with good malt balance, and long finish / Flavors of chocolate, dark roast barley, weed, and fresh hops / Outstanding.

UnDecaf (106) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 24, 2010
Absolutely incredible. Tons of hops but with a creamy chocolate mix and just a hint of caramel.

Listigovers (288) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 3, 2010
Pours black, lingering thin head. Great aroma, vegetables, grassy. This is an amazing beer, the hoppiness of an ipa with a creamy stoutlike mouthfeel. Grassy notes, hop resin, very bitter, dry finish, well balanced. Amazingly well crafted, and opens up my mind to a new style.

achilles4481 (11) - Albany, New York, USA - JAN 24, 2011
Yeah, its hoppy. But damn, it is balanced out so well, the hoppy-ness shines rather than blinds. Flat out fantastic.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
zacgillbanks (1847) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - APR 8, 2012
Bottle from Beers of Europe in Norfolk. A black beer with orange marmalde liquorice, blackcurrant, chocolate and whisky/vanilla flavours with a bitter-sweet slight roasted and floral hoppy finish. Fantastic!

boydmarq (48) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - NOV 21, 2012
I am stunned at any review that rates this lower than 15 out of 20 on the overall rating. For anyone who loves a hoppy, flavorful beer, this is the absolutely best one out there. And I have tasted a ton of beers. Everyone time I drink this, my first thought is: OMG, this is nectar from the heavens!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
tvazteca (20) - Brighton, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 13, 2013
The smell if crisp hops is slightly covering chocolate sweet malts. The taste is thick delicious malts with massive bitter finish. So excellent.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Davhgbrew (886) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Just when I was thinking the other day that I haven’t had a real great beer in a while I stumbled upon this gem. Dark and complex. Had off tap at wob. Fantastic aroma. Creamy palate. Must try again soon!