overall

RATINGS: 2166   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
boydmarq (48) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - NOV 21, 2012
I am stunned at any review that rates this lower than 15 out of 20 on the overall rating. For anyone who loves a hoppy, flavorful beer, this is the absolutely best one out there. And I have tasted a ton of beers. Everyone time I drink this, my first thought is: OMG, this is nectar from the heavens!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
tvazteca (20) - Brighton, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 13, 2013
The smell if crisp hops is slightly covering chocolate sweet malts. The taste is thick delicious malts with massive bitter finish. So excellent.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Davhgbrew (945) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Just when I was thinking the other day that I havenít had a real great beer in a while I stumbled upon this gem. Dark and complex. Had off tap at wob. Fantastic aroma. Creamy palate. Must try again soon!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
shaihulud (13) - Kentucky, USA - SEP 9, 2014
This beer is pretty good, but not perfect. I would rather drink it than talk to Catholics, but I feel the same way about blood. Stone makes metal beer, like heavy metal, like you drink this beer while listening to Electric Wizard.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cathcacr (636) - Oregon, USA - SEP 24, 2007
From the citrusy-piney aroma and taste and, most importantly, the fiery manifesto on the bottle, you know itís an IPA constructed from the finest ingredients known to mankind, right here, and right now. From the rest of it, you are given unconventional cues about which you have to exercise your own mind and judgment. Are you Worthy? íFraid not. 4.8 out of 5. Youíre just gonna have to trust me on this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3362) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - SEP 27, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2009 Pours black with brown penetrating the edges, decent head. The aroma is an absolute bow shot of pure grapefruit, amazing. Flavor is solidly hop oriented with grapefruit being the big note. Faint pine emerges as it warms, along with a very faint note of roast that I might not have even noticed if I wasnít looking for it. Malt sweetness to balance, but solidly a hop bomb. Just fantastic, best thing Stone has dropped on us in a while. Perhaps not as complex as others, but just awesome flavors. RERATE: Just had a bottle as the Sublimely Self Righteous on 5/9/09, as spectacular as I remembered it. I bumped it up a couple of points because I truly think this deserves a spot in my to beers. I flat love this stuff. Thank you sir, may I have another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bigdummy (2) - Ramona, California, USA - OCT 3, 2007 does not count
My favorite Anni IPA from Stone so far. Black and frothy, nice creamy mouthfeel, citrusy rather than piney hops and lots and lots of them. They balance a very dark sweet and malty brew to perfection.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aubrey (3451) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Very dark, with burgundy edges. Lasting tan head and clingy lace. Intriguing, inviting nose alludes to dark chocolate and spruce tips. Full body, but not too thick or syrupy. Nice carbonation to boot. Wonderful symphony of flavors and aromas ... rich chocolate, aromatic pine, juicy citrus, caramel, grass, maple, black licorice, dark fruit, roast ... I didnít think they would, but I found the flavors and aromas in this beer to all meld very well. Hell, even the grapefruit! A healthy amount of bitterness cleaved off the sugary-stark black patent-like sweetness. I really love how Stone pushes the envelope, and this is a perfect example ... which happened to turn out extremely great, in my opinion.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 15, 2010
Iím always a little intrigued when a friend describes something as a "black IPA," bit usually a little on the disappointed side when I try it. Both descriptors set an expectation that is a touch contradictory; something that is hoppy-sweet and citrusy while at the same time roasty and malty. The two tastes are powerful ones, and balance between the two is frequently perceived by me as a touch boring. And RISís that shout about their hop content donít usually taste hoppy to me - just too much going on to pick up the more nuanced note of bitterness, even if they dumped bushels of high-alpha hops into the mix, my tongue just canít seem to enjoy them for everything else going on. Wow - that is a long lead in to say that this beer is unique to say that it does this integration very well. It pulls off the balancing act without being boring; in fact it pulls it off so well it does the opposite - this beer is intriguing. It is dark and there is a dark-roasty-malt note to it, but it is also lightly sweet and citrus-y with pronounced bitterness. Both notes are there, but Stone has figured a way to make them play well together. If anything, the hops are more pronounced than the roast, which is the outcome I wouldíve chosen (if given a choice). Appearance is quite pretty with a black-red body and tall white head. Aroma is as Iíve described flavor, and mouthfeel is like a solid IPA - not slick like a DIPA might be or cloying like a RIS frequently is. All the way around - this is a heck of a beer, and I need to see if I can find some of it here in C-bus. I bought my bottle down in KY, at Party Source in Newport.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
TonyDiUlio (650) - New Jersey, USA - APR 18, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2010 nice brew enjoyed with james and pat. pours a dark body. nice head which lace well. the aroma was sweet with mango. flavor is fruity hops surprisingly.