overall

RATINGS: 2227   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

Aubrey (3482) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Very dark, with burgundy edges. Lasting tan head and clingy lace. Intriguing, inviting nose alludes to dark chocolate and spruce tips. Full body, but not too thick or syrupy. Nice carbonation to boot. Wonderful symphony of flavors and aromas ... rich chocolate, aromatic pine, juicy citrus, caramel, grass, maple, black licorice, dark fruit, roast ... I didnít think they would, but I found the flavors and aromas in this beer to all meld very well. Hell, even the grapefruit! A healthy amount of bitterness cleaved off the sugary-stark black patent-like sweetness. I really love how Stone pushes the envelope, and this is a perfect example ... which happened to turn out extremely great, in my opinion.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
WesKBob (563) - Bethany, Oklahoma, USA - JUL 14, 2009
Sweet Jesus, this is a good beer. On tap into a tulip glass. Pours black with a thick tan head with excellent retention and lacing. Absolutely beautiful beer. Aroma is lots of pine and citrus hops. Flavor is very hop-forward, but mellows into nice caramel sweetness. Full, thick, viscous mouthfeel. Basically, this beer has the look and mouthfeel of a very nice stout with the aroma and flavor of a good DIPA. Whatís not to love?

Garrettbone (1) - ITALY - AUG 22, 2009 does not count
the 11th anniversary ale was so good and in demand that they re-released it as this brew

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 15, 2010
Iím always a little intrigued when a friend describes something as a "black IPA," bit usually a little on the disappointed side when I try it. Both descriptors set an expectation that is a touch contradictory; something that is hoppy-sweet and citrusy while at the same time roasty and malty. The two tastes are powerful ones, and balance between the two is frequently perceived by me as a touch boring. And RISís that shout about their hop content donít usually taste hoppy to me - just too much going on to pick up the more nuanced note of bitterness, even if they dumped bushels of high-alpha hops into the mix, my tongue just canít seem to enjoy them for everything else going on. Wow - that is a long lead in to say that this beer is unique to say that it does this integration very well. It pulls off the balancing act without being boring; in fact it pulls it off so well it does the opposite - this beer is intriguing. It is dark and there is a dark-roasty-malt note to it, but it is also lightly sweet and citrus-y with pronounced bitterness. Both notes are there, but Stone has figured a way to make them play well together. If anything, the hops are more pronounced than the roast, which is the outcome I wouldíve chosen (if given a choice). Appearance is quite pretty with a black-red body and tall white head. Aroma is as Iíve described flavor, and mouthfeel is like a solid IPA - not slick like a DIPA might be or cloying like a RIS frequently is. All the way around - this is a heck of a beer, and I need to see if I can find some of it here in C-bus. I bought my bottle down in KY, at Party Source in Newport.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
TonyDiUlio (655) - New Jersey, USA - APR 18, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2010 nice brew enjoyed with james and pat. pours a dark body. nice head which lace well. the aroma was sweet with mango. flavor is fruity hops surprisingly.

strap (566) - Seoul, SOUTH KOREA - AUG 6, 2010
Doesnít get much better. Dark, complex aroma and taste. Just the right amount of hops and dark malts. The name says it all.

SPDickerman (1047) - Texas, USA - JAN 4, 2011
Pours jet black with a pleasant tan head. Smells both roast malty and hoppy. Tastes malty at first, and then bitter from hops and then goes malty sweet again. Fuller in body than most other IPAs but not as full as a stout with what can only be described as a creamy texture and little mouth carbonation, Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous finishes dry from hops and sweet from malts. This is outstanding.

bozoNZ (732) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 18, 2011
Wow - just about drunk it all before I could concentrate on rating it. Bottle, jet black light tan head retained throughout. The aroma is one I first recall from my beer íeureka momentí and is the combination of my two favourites, chinook and amarillo. Its a big full choc/orange Grand Marnier hit that would go equally well with and aged sirloin or chocolate dessert. Sublime indeed

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
thewheelbarrow (10) - Killeen, Texas, USA - MAR 25, 2011
It pours as dark as night and has mild hops on the aroma. Upon sipping, the hops hit you heavy with subtle hints of banana. It finishes with a lot of hoppiness but is still very drinkable but not really sessionable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
HartManSam (74) - Indiana, USA - MAR 27, 2011
Wow. Great beer. Loved it at first sip. leaves a toasty hoppy finish in my mouth. Wonderful beer. One of my favorites =)