RATINGS: 2231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Weíre brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
beerbobWFM (17) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 8, 2007
This could quite possibly be my favorite of all the anniversarys I have had(started with 7). It has a nice aroma, some chocolate and carmel scents accented with the presnece of hops...and lots of them. Itís like they hopped up an advetinus or a reall good porter, which in my book is outstanding. The flavor has alot going on, starts with carmel,chocolate, and hints pf maple, tthen the hops kick in and you geat the whole array of citrus,and hints of spruce and it finishes with a nice bitterness.All in all a must try for hop heads, as stone once again pushes the envelope in a great way....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nik925 (776) - USA - JUN 3, 2008
Awesome, the play between dark malt and hops is spot on. Slightly over bitter. Super dark. Stone should make this regularly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
awautlet (45) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Pours a coffee like color with amber hues and a tan head. Iíve never seen an IPA this dark. On the palate there is a malty start but a very complex finish with roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee. I never thought Iíd be saying chocolate and coffee while describing an IPA... stunning

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
zizzybalubba (1643) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - APR 30, 2009
22 oz. bottle from River City Cellars in Richmond. Pours black with a thin tan head; looks like a stout. Aroma of grapefruit, pineapple, and freshly cut grass. I could smell this one all day long if I wasnít so anxious to drink it. Excellent flavor of tangerine and grapefruit with a nice sweetness on the finish. Every bit as good as I remember the Stone XI being. Top notch.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
donttreadonme (91) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 20, 2010
What a fantastic offering from Stone. More a black IPA than just strong ale in my memory. It had everything - hops, malt, alcohol, what more could you want.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
brownale (1) - USA - APR 10, 2010 does not count
Very good Self Righteous Ale!!!!! Would recommend this fine Ale to everyone. Great Job!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (2532) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 28, 2010
Whoaaaa! This beer IS righteously titled. Normally I donít go too much for hoppy dark beers, but this one is GREAT!! Poured with a smallish tan head and a little lace. Color is a very dark almost black brown. Aroma is very hoppy, roasty, cocoa, malt, toffee, iron. Flavorís similar to nose. Hop is not fruity, thank goodness. Great body and carbonation fit the style perfectly. Finish (with good burps!) is like flavor, mostly bitter with a hint of malt sweetness to smooth it out and is of medium length. Session for sure, even though itís so rich. Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BatBeer (4) - Pueblo, Colorado, USA - AUG 23, 2010 does not count
Let me prefaces by saying... WOW! Very nice beer indeed. Iím a big fan of the style. Ans Stone pulls it off like a champ. OK.. so A. Pours out black with a nice light tan head. Nice lacing. Not much light comes through the black. Maybe a bit, with a tad dark brown and ruby highlights... but faint. S. Roasted malt, Hops, and a hint of cherry. Very compelling. T. Fist comes the roasted malt, followed immediately by fresh hops, then finishing with a black cherry followed by bitterness that sticks for a bit. Very nice. M. Medium body, Creamy, Slightly sticky, with a well balanced carbonation. D. Quite impressive. Very complex for the style. Almost a contradiction in a way... but in a really good way. Overall ver impressive. Not much to complain about really. Possibly.. well no... on second thought.. nothing really to complain about on my end. I love it. Will buy again. Often

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Petkus331 (372) - Redford, Michigan, USA - SEP 10, 2010
Am I dead? Iím in heaven right? And I thought I was an Atheist! Stone Brewery trapped Heaven in a bottle! WOW! A floral, hoppy, citrus, charred malt, chocolate-coffee, lightly yeasty, Riesling nose; wait a moment while I change my pants. The flavor begins like a porter with a charred malt intensity but it is accompanied with the hoppy citrus resin of an IPA!!!! An enjoyable lingering coffee-resin finish. OMG!!!! A nice head, didnít last too long, but still nice. Dark brown, nearly black color. The texture is creamy like a stout, WOW!!! Donít pass this up!! Only cost me 7.99 for a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle. AMAZING!!! I wouldnít mind a little more bitterness, but still..... WOW!!!! THIS IS WHAT WE LIVE FOR; BUY THIS BEER!!!! MY BURPS TASTE LIKE THE SMELL OF JASMINE FLOWERS!!!! Imagine a Sierra Nevada Torpedo crosses with a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerMePodcast (96) - Palm Desert, California, USA - OCT 22, 2010
I have had this beer a number of times now and love it more with each tasting. Stone hop profile all the way: pine, slight citrus and hop funk mixed perfectly with chocolate and roasted coffee notes. Taste is the same with the chocolate and coffee notes in the middle and hops on all sides with a touch of a dark chocolate bitter finish. In my opinion, a truly style-defying ale.