overall

RATINGS: 61   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.25   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Contract brewed for Jones Brewing Co.

A smooth refreshing all grain beer. This beer is brewed and aged the natural, costlier way. Using the finest barley, malt, selected grains and hops to produce a smooth and refreshing Stoney’s beer.

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - JAN 14, 2011
13-Jan-11 (16-oz bottle: BevMo in Solana Beach, CA) Glad I didn’t have to buy this one to try it. It’s actually not as dreadfully offensive as I expected, mostly because the beer doesn’t taste or smell like wet cardboard. Nothing like a fresh Stoney’s, huh? The beer pours clear, straw-colored into the glass with half an inch of white foam that settles to a patchy film and wide ring that manages to leave a small ring of lace at the top of the glass. It’s supposedly an all-grain lager, but it tastes honey-sweet with flavors of corn, rice, and dough, and no real hops character either. It’s hard to imagine an all-grain beer tasting like this, though. Or smelling like this either; sweet corn, rice, sweet bread, and hay in the nose. Light bodied with prickly, medium-plus carbonation, but because the beer is sweet and bready, and has no complementary hops for balance, the beer is absolutely not refreshing, and in fact, I feel a strong need to go brush my teeth to relieve the stale mouthfeel. So if it’s not refreshing and doesn’t taste good, there’s only one reason to drink it: to get your cheap drunk on. I’d rather drink water, thanks.

GrainBeltMan (28) - California, USA - NOV 6, 2010
Tasty lager that goes down easy. Has a yeasty edge which I like. Now that I’ve found Stoney’s 16-oz sixers for $6 or so at BevMo here in S-Diego, I’ll be adding these to my regular rotation of Starz Beer (Scripps Ranch Liquors), Simpler Times Lager (6.2% abv -- Trader Joes’s) and Genesee (BevMo.) Regional, old-fashioned lagers are my thing, the best being -- of course -- Grain Belt, which I hope will be distributed here again in the future.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
christou (1) - Illinois, USA - JAN 10, 2010 does not count
A very simple pale lager. Slight alcohol aroma. Minimal head. Light sweet and bitter taste. Refreshing beer. Light finish. Light body with a lively carbonation.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - MAY 13, 2009
Morgan’s tasting, 07MAR09. 12 oz bottle. Pale yellow with a fizzy white head. Light grain and a bit of floral hop. Meh - very forgettable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
cheap (3943) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2008
White 12 oz can from a $14/24 case. A little more golden than I expected. Doesn’t smell bad, like most cheap lagers do. Taste is clean but slightly metallic and processed. At times it has a sort of unsweetened slaggy background. Good carbonation. Mild industrial finish, easily repeatable. Decent pale lager session brew.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
harryk (1) - Silver City, New Mexico, USA - APR 11, 2008 does not count
To my knowledge, Stoneys is brewed by Jones Brewing Co. in Smithton, PA - about 30 some miles south. Has Iron City bought them out?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4785) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2008
Sampled from a 12 oz can this beer poured a bright golden color with a medium sized white head that faded quickly. The aroma was sour, tangy and a bit dry. The flavor was lightly sour, tangy and a bit dry with almost no finish. Bland but inoffensive.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Mirage52 (147) - New Market, Maryland, USA - FEB 27, 2008
Not a bad Pittsburgh area brew. I prefer it to Iron City. You gotta keep these beers alive or else everything we drink will be generic corporate beer with no ties to your hometown. Not that I am from Pittsburgh, but I will enjoy one of these when I am in the Western Maryland panhandle. It’s watery, and tastes like everything else, but I appreciate the hard work that the locals put into making the beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
wxman (1389) - O’Fallon, Illinois, USA - OCT 10, 2007
It’s been many years since I had a Stoneys, but I thought I’d rate from memory anway. 16oz bottle pours a golden yellow with a decent white head that diminished quickly, but a thin layer remained throughout. As I recall it had a cornmeal and light hop aroma that was pleasant. Taste was sweet malt, corn grits and some hop bitterness. This was always a very pedestrian american lager, but tasted like they did back 20 to 30 years ago. Better than today’s macros.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dp (608) - uniontown, Ohio, USA - JUL 26, 2007
$15 a case, didn’t expect much, was happy with what i purchased, creamy tongue feel, bubbles, easy to drink, hint of malt, kind of a very odd mint like aftertaste