overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
This Bavarian-style unfiltered wheat beer is brewed with 50% malted barley and 50% malted wheat. Our signature blend of German yeast strain imparts a flavor and aroma reminiscent of bananas, cloves and bubblegum.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5039) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2007 On a hot sunny summer day one’s throat becomes quickly parched and only one thing can truly satisfy - weizen. Lo and behold, there within the fridge a bottle of the blessed gift of wheat - Stouts Weizen. But wait, I have not had this brew before. Can it satisfy the yearning that consumes me? Quickly I grab the 12 oz bottle from its icy confines and feel is pleasing coldness upon my skin. The temperature is right the time of quenching is to begin! But upon bringing out the fabled glass of the ancients and ripping the crown off of the cold bottle there quickly comes a surprise as I pour. This beer pours not in the fine yellow, golden and orange hues of the beverages of yore. Instead I am greeted by a barely pale yellow-ocher colored beverage that seems to stare listlessly from the glass. The color disgusts and revolts and mocks me more by its clarity. Slightly cloudy to be sure but as I stare dumbfoundedly at the glass I can most certainly see the world beyond through its depths. A small white head rises to the top to mock me with reminders of what should be. Choking back my trepidation I bring the offending beverage to my nose. A moderate aroma of sweet wheat and citrus rises. My hopes rise with them. Aha! It may not look much like a weizen but the nose is unmistakable - there is hope yet. Carefully I bring the beverage to my parched lips. I search for wheat upon my tongue but very little is to be found. I check for citrus as well, but have to search long and hard to find it. What I do find is a vague spiciness and a bizarre dry aftertaste that is beyond my ability to describe. With a heavy heart I choke the beverage down as quickly as possible so as to return to the fridge to find some real wheat beer that may be lurking within.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUN 22, 2004
On tap: Very cloudy yellow with a nice head. Aroma is of slight cloves and vanilla but is more toward the ester side with some fruityness like banana in there. Taste is very malty and sweet with lots of wheat flavors. Pretty good but the mouthfeel was wierd in that it had a slight slick taste to it. Wierd.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DocLock (8001) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Pours turbid gold, with aroma of cloves, banana, yeast, citrus. Tastes of citrus, with some banana, yeast, and wheat in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JUN 17, 2004
Tap, in a tall Weizen glass @ Andy’s. Typicall orangish but mostly yellow cloudy color with a big white head. Pleasant banana/sulfur nose. Flavor is slightly astringent and dry. The malt drops off the palate too quickly. Still drinkable, but there is room for improvement.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
obxdude10 (2052) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 22, 2004
Wonderful wheat beer, hazy & cloudy straw color, huge fluffly pillow of a head, excellent lacing, nose full of banana & spices, very acidic & spritzy mouthfeel, lots of banana & clove in the flavors, not too heavy of a body, great example of the style, outstanding beer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2003
UPDATED: APR 5, 2009 Really nice American wheat beer, great on tap. Beautiful apricot color, hazy. Mouth feel about average, nice carbonation. Spicy, fruity, lightly bread / wheat taste, and good hop finish.// Re-tasted as bottle. Not nearly as interesting. Appearance would be 4. Flavor would be 7 ... great citrus and sweetness but surprisingly little complexity. 14 OA, would drop it to a 3.4. I’ll stick with the higher number from the perfect draft and remember it fondly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
chronictonic (473) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2003
I've had this on tap several times and I've always thought it was one of the best German style Weizens around. Tongiht had it out of the 25oz bottle and it's almost as good. Bananna, nutty, bready aroma. Not overly spiced on the flavor. Finishes nice and hoppy and crisp.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 12, 2003
Great, full-bodied Hefe. Nice wheat and yeast flavors.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 1, 2003
Decent wheat. Spicy aroma and flavor. Surprisingly big bodied. Good pale golden color with a slight haze. Very nice wheat flavors.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Nuffield (3711) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 10, 2003
Light yellow, hazy. Banana and bubblegum but with a rather odd aftertaste. Also, a bit limp. (on tap, Pennsylvania Microbrewers Fest 2003)