overall

RATINGS: 86   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
A smooth rich amber american lager brewed by american crafstmen in the allegheny mountains.

Alcodrunk (1) - Irwin, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 8, 2011 does not count
This is definitely a tastie beer. This is a good everyday drinker. Comparable if not better than yuengling lager. The lower alcohol level is due to no added sugar in the brewing process. My new flavor. The corn taste I’ ve seen in other reveiwsis due to the fact that straub uses corn flakes as one of their ingredients. I recommend it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Elderbeerman (7) - Rockton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 25, 2008 does not count
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2008 I find it to be pleasantly sweet, with a nice dark amber color. Easy to drink. I think you may like this better than Yuengling...a great session beer. I love it personally and recommend it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
wu1sabes (25) - USA - JAN 10, 2009
Bottle. Not a strong aroma. Appears good amber color. Flavor is good malty lager, easy to drink. Could be a little more complex. A good easy drinking lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ndfreak77 (89) - USA - MAY 21, 2008
Pours a dark amber color with a white head. Mild taste with a smooth after taste. This lagers flavor is about as pleasant as they come. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
thomasacross (129) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - SEP 28, 2009
Bottle. I was pretty impressed by this beer. A sort of a domestic twist on Newcastle Brown Ale. Way too sweet for a Dark Lager but charming leaving out conformity to the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tricountybeer (167) - Dillsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 28, 2010
pours a very small off-white head , fair lacing , cloudy body, and a fine amber color. smell of grain malt,. very refreshing for a dark beer

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BillKismet (3321) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 28, 2001
Enticed by the case graphics which depicted a cheerful beaver on a damn proclaiming cheerily ’Best Damn Beer I ever had,’ I decided to try it. My friends looked at me in anticipation afer quaffing from the bottle--inquiring as to how it tasted. I responded..’It tastes like--like beer.. It’s like beer flavored beer. Everyone roared in laughter, mimicking me, until they tried it for themselves and came up with identical descriptions. This beer does not try to be anything special. There are no taste distractions. Dam beer tastes like--well beer. It is beer flavored beer. Don’t laugh until you try it! A simple unassuming beer that is neither deficient of some quality nor overloaded with it. Definitely a great find and a beer that should please the palates of most. The beaver wasn’t to far from the mark. It is indeed close to ’the best Dam Beer I ever had!’

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - MAR 15, 2002
I had this about a year ago...but as gimmicky as the name was, the beer was pretty damn good...went down well, I wish I could find this beer again since it was good beer. :-)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DCBeerGuy (1) - Gaithersbburg, Maryland, USA - APR 7, 2008 does not count
I have been enjoying Straub’s my entire life. I was wondering when Peter would get his chance tp win over the family traditionalists and ’break out’ with some sort of hand crafted brew. Not surprised it is a lager, but think he is doing himself a disservice by calling it "Special Dark", which conhures up images of a hearty European ale. It’s certainly not that. It’s a lager reminiscent of Yuengling, but really light on the palate with a nice crisp finish. Boy am I going to drink a lot of this - a new summer favorite! I was hoping for some kind of hoppy beast, but for a small family brewery, this is a big step!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 30, 2007
This is a nice clean version of an amber lager. Pours a deep amber color with a thin white head. Very refreshing and balanced. Recommended!