Strohs Dark Beer

(RETIRED)
Strohs Dark Beer
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 3.38/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Dark Lager (Munich Dunkel) with rich caramel malts, mild bittering hops and a delicious but not too heavy flavor. An easy drinking dark beer with more character than the most American or commonly imported beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tnkw01 (960) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 27, 2010
Bottle. This rating is in memory of my late dad and mostly on fond memories from long ago. My dad would bring this home from time to time. He loved this brand because it was the best of the "cheap" brands. This was the very first dark beer I ever drank. From what I remember it was bitter. Not being used to dark beers I didn’t know this was suppose to be a good thing. I do remember thinking I liked it and my friends at the time making fun of me and saying it taste like motor oil. Anyway, just a memory.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BREWMUSKCLES (2155) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 26, 2009
it was sweet and dark tasting because it was dark and reminded one of brown sugar in the taste profile. it had a bit of body and was a touch syrupy. metal taste in the malt and barley profile that did not lend a hand to its popularity, it was decent.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Botnik (142) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 24, 2008
Vague memory from years ago, this was the first beer I ever liked. I couldn’t stand the pale s___ everyone else was drinking Sorry to see it go. Mandy was playing on the jukebox that night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
uglyblond1 (177) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 15, 2006
Not a bad beer of the type, but overrated here. Compared to Ballantine Dark, not as smooth or refreshing. Medium body, good malt aroma. A little rough on the finish compared to the best of this type. Good but not top echelon!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
oldrtybastrd (3225) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 28, 2005
Pours a little darker. Aromas of corn, hops, and you know the rest. Flavor is a little more pronounced in this beer, a little more bitter and more burnt flavor. Just a bit more flavor than most.

Michiganmike (17) - Saint Clair Shores, Michigan, USA - JAN 18, 2003
Anybody know where to get this beer in Michigan?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - SEP 23, 2002
I had this in a joint in Chicago. Rich brown color with medium head--light lace. Aroma is light but with some roasted malts detectable along with hint of hops. Flavor has a discernible malt bottom with some roastiness to it, mild hop bitterness on top...slight tang in the finish. Body is moderate, and elements are relatively in balance...one of the better products by this brewery.

rkn65 (106) - st. clair shores, Michigan, USA - AUG 1, 2002
This used to be the best beer, now that Pabst brews it I have not seen it in its former hometown of Detroit. If anyone knows plesase post it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - MAY 1, 2002
I drank picthers of this in the ’80s in Pontiac, Michigan. It was either I was old enough to get bad hangovers or this is hangover beer. I don’t know which. I never puked it though.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hippie99 (14) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - FEB 16, 2002
THis is a cheap beer that is not looked at very highly because of its price. for $5 a twelve for a better than average beer is not bad at all.