overall
Brewed by De Struise Brouwers
Style: Imperial Stout
Oostvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 538   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
Black Albert was used in a new barrel aging project. More than a year ago, Carlo was able to get his hands on a stock of Four Roses Bourbon barrels, and we happily filled them up with Batch „0". This unique creation was originally to be named 4 Black Roses in honour of its heritage, but our friends in Kentucky strongly advised us not to do so! What to do? As the disowned offspring of Black Albert, the name Cuvée Delphine imposed itself. Savouring the Belgian irony, we are most honoured to have artwork by Delphine Boël shining on this label. You will not find this ale all over the globe. There is no export program, but we will try to provide stock through our web shop and some specialty beer pubs.

GilBier (75) - Dendermonde, BELGIUM - DEC 15, 2008
Black Black Black in colour, thick creamy longlasting head and out of this world aroma of coffee, caramel and Bourbon. The smell of this brew is super-complex and very fine. Roasted malts, tar, black chocolate, espresso and some dried plums, cherries and brown candy. Mouthfeeling is rich and silky with tons of refind and robust taste sensations like coffee, chocolate, Tia Maria Liquor, X-mas cake and bourbon. It finishes with a great hoppyness that lingers on for minutes. What can I say..... Perfection is the right word here.

lululegrand (94) - gent, BELGIUM - DEC 24, 2008
Grafit oil black with a longlasting brown foam on top. Aroma is delicious and rich, Coffee, cocoa and Bourbon are the major players here. There are some fine hops, some woody touches and touches of fruits and some sicky caramel. Taste is like the aroma, rich and fine. alcohol is well hidden and the afthertaste is sublime. Thanks Carlo for bringing this beer to our private tasting.

FreshHawk (596) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - AUG 11, 2010
Bottle. A - Very dark mahogany with a huge, thick, creamy, frothy, cafe colored head. I’ve used the the description of meringue-like, but this one is closest to meringue that I’ve had, it is really thick. Amazing retention that finally settles into a nice creamy lace. S - Smell is amazing. Barrel definitely imparted a good amount of aroma with vanilla, bourbon, and oak being strong. Also a good amount of chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, and dark malt. Some sweet candi sugar balances out the roasted aroma. Hingts of dark fruit also come out. T - Dark fruit and anise mix with the chocolate, candi sugar and slightly roasted dark malt. Raisin, fig, date, and plum come in and out along with the chocolate malt. The bourbon, vanilla, and oak also mix in and out throughout the sip, especially on the finish. M - Full to medium body with a good level of carbonation. Very smooth and creamy. D - Very drinkable beer with a great mouthfeel that is creamy and smooth. Also a good mix of the bourbon, roasted chocolate stout, and dark fruit. Very easy and enjoyable to drink. Notes: Best before Mar. 2014. Excellent beer that is a great mix of all the flavors I mentioned before. I wish I had more, and that this came in a bigger bottle. Highly recommend this beer. De Struise just keeps surprising me with how many good beers they make, and this one is right at the top for me.

DocLock (7703) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 23, 2010
Bottle slipped to me by the PUB’N jester while he was entertaining a few wenches over by the jousting arena at the PA Renaissance Faire in Manheim, PA. Wow, 25 cL is not a big amount. Pours deep blackish brown, not jet but very opaque and with a great 2 finger brown head that stands at attention and says, when I put my ear to it, "You may not be able to handle me, douche bag". Quite assertive indeed! The nose is extremely fruity, with loads of tart black cherry and blackberry, some funky cobwebby esters, oak, some cacao, dark malt, and funky notes. Pronounced and huge nose that I cannot in good conscience rate lower that a perfecto robusto. Tastes extremely rich on the palate, almost as rich as a chocolate malt, with a hefty dark malt, cacao,oaky dark choc, vanilla, and very well integrated black cherry flavor. Incredible balance here, tremendous complexity, and one of those beers that gets better with every sip, and you just know that you may never get a chance to savor it again, so you are torn between milking it all night or chugging it. Wow, what a great beer, and a very unique take on a barrel-aged impy stout. Bravo, Struise. Bravo. As a final note, for a beer this gargantuan, it had alcohol as well hidden as any big beer I have experienced. Once you go Struise, you can’t lose.

Joelly3d (37) - Kentucky, USA - MAR 9, 2013
This is the best beer I've ever had. I am a huge fan of imperial stouts and darker full beers. This is surprisingly easy to drink while having incredibly high ABV. Not too hoppy and the bourbon barrel taste is not overwhelming. Instead it tastes slightly sweeter than other imperial stouts. It is fantastic, a must have. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

proesti (58) - Lille Nord, FRANCE - NOV 14, 2009
Even more black than Black Albert. Aroma is complex, coffee, chocolate, hops caramel and bourbon whisky. Taste is a little more sweet than Black Albert, Vanille, dark sugars, coffee, chocolate and art. Carlos and Urbain, Merci for letting me taste the most rare beer and for telling me the story behind the colourful label.

grunx (367) - - JAN 7, 2012
M’encanta, una altra perfecció de la casa Struise. Sense cap mena de dubte, són els reis.

stouton (9) - - NOV 13, 2012 does not count
Wow wow wow. First tried from the barrel in Bruges at the Struise shop. Oily, viscous mouthfeel. Aromas of dark fruits. Taste of molasses, brown sugar, coffee and dark chocolate. Beautiful to look at with a tan brown head. Alcohol extremely well hidden. Right up my street.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BoostIPA (1188) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - JAN 25, 2013
33cl bottle thanks to Mathieuc!!! Thanks so much!!!

Pours a near opaque black with a tan head that fades quickly. Aromas of oak, dark fruit, roast and anise. No detection of the alcohol in the nose. First sip reveals... Well this is the part where I usually describe how the beer tastes. Buy instead, let me paint you a picture...

You just got sentenced to prison for a white collar crime. First night in the big house is no big deal, but the next day in the shower room you are cornered by a gang of inmates. These gentlemen happen to be African American. First one knocks your teeth out, as to prepare you for a little foreplay before the main event. You are pinned down as they surround you... And...well... You get the point.

Point is, you get a whole mouthful of black thickness with this beer. Alcohol is completely hidden, making it dangerously drinkable. Very mellow taste for 13%. This is amazingly drinkable. In fact, I have never met this beers equal in terms of alcohol content and drinkability. This beer drinks like it is a 7%abv foreign stout. Seriously.

Not only is the best imperial stout I’ve ever had, this is the best beer I’ve ever had. End of.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
harrisoni (13215) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - DEC 29, 2008
Thanks to Urbain for this, sat at Struise farm drinking this. Aged Black Albert in Four Roses bourbon barrells. Subtle bourbon aroma, thin tan head. As I swallowed my first mouthfull, something happened that I dont think has happended in years with a beer. My mouth dropped open in delight and amazement. Then Sims did as well. The most amazing beer. The flavours are stunning. Great smooth choc and coffe, bit of heat, the bourbon is there, but the smoothness is unbelievable. Charcoal on finish and toffee is incredible in the middle. Vinous. Utterly, utterly amazing.