Struise Earthmallet

overall
Brewed by De Struise Brouwers
Style: Barley Wine
Oostvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 30   MEAN: 3.25/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 480   ABV: 16%
Struise Aardmonnik / Earthmonk fermented with champagne yeast

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
HonusWagner (1331) - Florida, USA - MAR 29, 2011
Rather harsh acetone and acetic acid qualities. Just look at all the other people who reviewed at RBWG and youíll see what I mean, since I am lazy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jrallen34 (3478) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 28, 2011
Thanks to Alex for brining this super rare bottle to our tasting. 750ml bottle into my Narke tulip...A dirty dark watery brown with no carbonation...The aroma is super sweet, its similar to a quad on steroids, lots of dark fruits some sugar, very nice. The back has a touch of sourness...The taste is light vinegar mixed with dark fruits, its so so close to a quad mixed with some lactic. I love quads so this is really nice to me. Super super super easy drinker at 16%, would never have guessed it unless I saw the bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
juiceisloose (1055) - Windermere, Florida, USA - DEC 3, 2010
750 ml bottle at RBWG. This one pours a dark cola brown color with virtually no head at all and some minimal lace dots the glass. The aroma seems way off on this bottle, which leads to me think it was infected. Notes of acetone and nail polish remover seem to muddle up the tart dark fruits and caramel malt base. The flavor follows with some vinegar, very acetic dark fruits, and more acetone. I couldnít drink much of this. Medium bodied, hot from the alcohol, astringent, and almost flat. I find it hard to believe that Struise could miss this bad. I would hope this was an infected bottle.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 8, 2010
750ml bottle at RBWG in March 2010. The pour yields a mostly clear, dark caramel to cola brown body with virtually no head to speak of. Minimal, spotted film lace dots the glass. The nose is just completely off, to the extent that I think this might be infected, as I get overtones of acetone and nail polish amidst a base of fermenting figs and tart, muddled dark fruits. Deeper contemplation reveals caramel, acetic vinegar, and tart berries, with a boozy, vodka-like strain. Flavors are just as offensive, again wrought with overly acetic, fruity vinegar notes and harsh, astringent acetone. Rotting figs and band aids make for a pretty rough combo. All of the character of Earthmonk, which is one of my all-time favorite beers, is completely hidden. The palate is overly attenuated, hot, astringent, and nearly flat. Wow, I never imagine that Struise would miss this bad on an experiment. I guess that when you swing for the fences every time, youíre bound for a bad whiff every once in a while.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sean9689 (272) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 9, 2010
Thanks to Alex (Masterski) for bringing this monster to our Epic Chicago Tasting. Poured from 750ml bottle into Rochefort tulip. Alex says there were less then 5 of these made? I think. Crazy. A - Pours a chocolate brown, red hue, very little carbonation. A small amount of bubbles line the glass with no cap on top to speak of and no lacing. S - Dark fruit, pears, alcohol. The alcohol doesnít seem like 16% at all. Urbaine did a wonderful job of hiding the alcohol in this monster. Iím really digging the fruits...just excellent. T - Chocolate, alcohol, slight tart/sour, some dark fruit, champagne-esk woody finish. Lots going on here. Moreso then the nose. I love chocolate and dark fruit notes mixed in with the slight tartness. M - Full, big, huge...a MONSTER! Sticky/rich finish. D - For 16% this wasnít bad at all. After reading previous reviews, I wasnít expecting much. Alas, I found I enjoyed this one much more that I thought...a very nice surprise during our tasting. Recommend, but donít know if youíll be able to find it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 23, 2010
A Mes rate. Bottle thanks as always to Uncle Urbs.
Ok,so, Pre ZBF, end of the night, Urbs, Glenn, Davy, Peter and two other nice Belgian folks I donít know and myself were sat there drinking whisky and smoking cigars and ciggarettes that were far too strong for me in the amazingly cool smoking room out the back. The banter was great, everyone was drunk and life was good. For some reason, god only knows why, Urban left the room and came back with the only bottle in existance of this very special stuff and gives it to me. I carried it home like a new born baby Obviously, I needed to save this for a special moment. A small tasting thrown for The Cadís birthday was certainly the right moment. The general feeling on this was that it wasnít that amazing at Pre ZBF. Maybe now itís better, maybe Iím just a giddy, starry eyed fan boy, but this is special. Opaque black brown with a thin but lasting tan head and lots of Belgian lace. Incredibly deep, aged Aardmonnik aroma. All the barrel and red wine and fruit and liquorice and stuff that you didnít know existed is there but there is even more. The champagne yeast shows through but blends beautifully with the already phenominal base beer. Itís a strange one no doubt and itís taken a little while to fully appreciated it but I have a large glass here and I can take the time to get to know this cheeky little peach properly. The aroma flows effortlessly into the flavour and becomes one of the fullest most complex experieces I have had. Itís taken some time to get to know this one. 10cl in the middle of beer festival craziness is just not doing this justice. Last beer of the night, plenty sober enough to have all my faculties fully functioning, chilling out at home with just the four of us and a sizeable serving from a very large bottle has afforded me the time to think. And itís one of those where you do need to think. Aardmonnik and champagne is not something that sits right in mind or body instantly. But eventually the depth of the base beer and the bright excitement of the yeast suddenly make sense. How is this 16%? It goes down no stronger than the regular version, not something double the strength. God itís soooooo fruity. The sourness is utterly perfect and coupled with the tart bitterness that comes from the bubbly yeast, well, itís just one of those rare things of joy. The finish is so epic itís boarderline biblical. Such massive length, somehow it leaves me not needing another sip for a considerable time. Itís just such a joy to wait for the Aardmonnik to subside a feel the champagne sneak up on you. Like some sneaky pale skinned trilby hatted gent hiding down a side alley selling you things you know you shouldnít have... but you know you want. "Heyyyyy little piece of chicken, come and see uncle Mario, heís got some special stuff for ya..." Yup, Iím sold. This one is special folks, donít let the hasty beer festival rates fool you. This is one of the really good ones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
madmitch76 (14454) - , Essex, ENGLAND - JUL 18, 2010
5th March 2010. Pre ZBF. Opaque black beer. No head. Rich dark malts. Complex array of fruit. Spice. Licorice. Spicy aftertaste. Lovely!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
kramer (4866) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 14, 2010
Bottle, RBWG 2010. Pours a thick dark amber body with a small fizzy off-white head. The nose is very oaky, heavy caramel and toffee, some light sourness, a touch of alcohol, and a litttle too much oxidation. It tastes like straight cheap alcohol, very fusal and hot. Not much sourness to speak of, which is surprising given that the base beer is Earthmonk. Heavy caramel with a good bit of oak on the finish. Mouthfeel is thick, heavy, and sticky with huge hot alcohol. This didnít do it for me at all. Weird for how much I like Earthmonk.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
yobdoog (1888) - Woodridge NY, New York, USA - JUL 12, 2010
Poured a brown color with no head. Aroma is pretty complex. Some fruit, hints of spice and wood, sweet/tart candy and some dry brettyness. Flavor is sweet, sour, fruity and musty. Lots of wood, a bit prickly on the tongue. Finished with some dryness, wood and cherry and a bit of syrup.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MeadMe (1284) - Riverview, Florida, USA - JUN 19, 2010
Huge thanks to Urbain for sending this one over for the ratebeer winter gathering. The guy is a beer geek at heart that goes way out of his way to help the beer community. If you see De Struise buy it. Support the best. A: Pours a nice brown hue with a small tan head. No retention or lace noted. S: Rather mild aromas. Lightly sour with hints of an industrial like aroma. T: Flavor is better than the aroma but still not great. Mild sour berries, caramel, and mild vinegar. The industrial like glue flavor is there as well, and it really takes away from this one. M: Rather light carbonation for a beer treated with champagne yeast. D: Not really. Huge thanks to Urbain for sending this one over. Not one of their best, but still honored to try it.