overall
Brewed by De Struise Brouwers
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Oostvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 2098   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
In the early 1900s, the village of De Panne, close to the French border, was famous for two things -- the ‘Pannepots,’ or fishing boats, that could be seen along the coast, and the unique dark ale enjoyed by the local fishermen. Our Old Fisherman’s Ale is a tribute to these hardy sailors and their rich, flavorful brew. Unfiltered. Unpasteurized. Bottle-conditioned in 33cl and 75cl.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Borresteijn (6165) - Zaandam, NETHERLANDS - JUL 14, 2008
Bottle @ Café Gollem. Murky brown with a lively head, gushes out of the bottle. Lovely smell of chocolate, ripe fruits, some roasted malts and yeast. Flavour is rich, brown sugar, caramel, fruity and a bit sour, with an alcoholic sweet and a bit sourish finish. Nice creamy and soft mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
StefanSD (2320) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - JUL 13, 2008
11 oz bottle from I don’t know where (its been in my cellar a while). Batch #4? Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head. The aroma was strong with dark fruits, roasted malts, cola, coffee and dust. The flavor is incredibly rich with more of the same, I get a particularly big cola taste. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. The Finish is incredibly long with a bit lingering sweet fig and dates. Overall: This is gonna’ make my top ten list, its easily one of the very best beers I have every tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
oteyj (2139) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 12, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2010 Pours hazy ruby brown with small white head. Aroma is mostly sweet dark fruits- very complex may I add- and a hint of alcohol. Alcohol is also evident in the flavor, but not so much as to be a hinderance. Flavors are yeast, sweet fruit, and some biscuity malt. Palate is smooth and quite drinkable. Doesn’t get much better than this- sticky and lasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jblauvs (1357) - Chester, Vermont, USA - JUL 11, 2008
brownish pour. aromas of light fruits, delicious malts, slight alcohol. smooth mouthfeel, incredibly balanced. rich and well brewed. My first struise and Im extremely impressed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
craftycarl21 (2338) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 11, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2008 very special 100th rating- i’ve been seeking this for close to a year, and here it is thanks to jblauvs and oteyj visiting julio’s in mass for me. beautiful pour, dark ruby hazy pour with brown hints and residual yeast, nice lacing. aroma of red wine, malt, fruits, and alcohol. flavor is phenomenal- cherry, dark fruit, malts, alcohol is present but welcome, massages the mouth. mouthfeel is absurdly smooth, forces you to drink more. one of my favorite beers ever, perfect balance of everything, and a worthy 100th.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - JUL 6, 2008
Bottle thanks to Bigmmartin after he bought me another to replace the one of mine he drank. Slightly disappointed. This was a fantastic beer but I was expecting something better I guess. The mouthfeel was a little more fizzy than I like which threw me off a bit. Aroma of slightly yeast and dark fruits and some alcohol. Good sized head which stayed around for a while. Dark and hazy burgundy. Sweet with a bitter finish and well rounded. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bigmmartin (603) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2008
Bottle. This beer will test your willpower and self-control. Haha. "1_2many" brought this over to share with me. We never go around to it that night so he left it here for us to drink next time. Well, obviously after a few days of staring at it in my fridge, I broke down. I couldn’t handle it constantly taunting me. And anyways, I would just go down the street and buy another one to replace it. So I drank it, loved it, replaced it..... and then drank that one too. Sigh, now I have to go buy a third one :) So yeah, it’s a great beer. It is a wonderful dark, rich reddish brown color with a light brown head. Aroma is dark fruits, Belgian yeast, light alcohol, and malt. The flavor has a unique roasted maltiness joined by sweet dark fruit, chocolate, caramel, and some coffee. A wonderful combination and balance. The alcohol is warming, but doesn’t overpower the other flavors. The palate is excellent as well, with a thick slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUL 5, 2008
Wow, I’m not sure I understand the hype. I mean it was tastey. Brown sugar and figs and chocolate malt, with some coffee, toffee, and butterscotch, and lots of fruit-- apricot, apple, pear, grape. But it was kind of like a few other strong ales in my opinion.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
LilBeerDoctor (3674) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 4, 2008
Bottle. HUGE thick, creamy light tan head with a dark brown/black body. Aroma of raisins, alcohol, and prunes. Flavor is very rich and not as raisiny as the aroma. Still, it is dominated by dark fruits along with coffee, roasted malt, apple, pear, and candi sugar in the background. Awesome palate--very smooth and creamy. Complex and well constructed, my only fault with it is that I’m not a super fan of raisin/dark fruits (which isn’t a fault, just a personal preference). Very enjoyable though. I had this back-to-back with the Pannepeut and enjoyed the flavors of the Pannepeut better but found the palate of the Pannepot to be much superior.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2008
2006 bottle at Ebenezer Kezars of Lovell, ME. Nearly opaque chestnut brown pour with a medium head that fades quickly. Very spicy aroma with notes of cinnamon, allspice and bitter chocolate. Taste is the same spices, rum soaked raisins, cocoa powder. Slight nuttiness and alcohol warmth. Sweet, thick mouthfeel.