overall
Brewed by De Struise Brouwers
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Oostvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 1903   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.2   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
In the early 1900s, the village of De Panne, close to the French border, was famous for two things -- the ‘Pannepots,’ or fishing boats, that could be seen along the coast, and the unique dark ale enjoyed by the local fishermen. Our Old Fisherman’s Ale is a tribute to these hardy sailors and their rich, flavorful brew. Unfiltered. Unpasteurized. Bottle-conditioned in 33cl and 75cl.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kitschy (326) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 25, 2007
in bottle. a delicious beer! dark raisiny brown. lots of aroma - fall leaves, raisins and plums... beautiful flavor unfolds and unfolds. the spices are many and varied, but don’t clash with each other. very well balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2007
Bottle from The_Epeeist, thanks Chris!! HOLY CRAP! Pours dark, dark brown, almost black with an explosive tan colored head that seems to hang on forever. leavin lacing like it was going out of style. Admittedly not one of my best pours and I should have known better. Aroma is spice (like cinnamon, cardamom, orange zest), caramel, brown sugar, ripe fruits,figs, port wine. Flavor is chocoalte, caramel, dried cherries, figs, even some smoke, orange zest, toffee, coffee, wow this is an adventure! Palate is full bodied, medium carbonation, finishes silky smooth on the spicy sweet side, slightly warming, though the alcohol is well hidden, I just know its there cuz I feel it on my face. Now I understand the hoopla! This is fantastic, it like a holiday in your mouth. Pannapotivus, the holiday celebrating this wonderful brew. As it warms, and warms me, it seems to get sweeter and the spices become more pronounced, now I get some spruce or juniper. More chocolate, silkier. Wow, the words are starting to fail me. Just putting the stuff on the tongue is like an adventure, it goes here, it goes there. Truly special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerguy101 (5319) - Newark, California, USA - JUN 22, 2007
This Belgian Strong Ale pours a murky dark brown color form a 33cl bottle. Small sized white foamy head. Aroma is spicy, malty and sweet. Medium bodied BSA. Malts are fruity, caramel. and sweet. Very spicy, lots of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Lots of chocolate flavors. Seems a little hot and spicy right now. Would want to try again in a year or so. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is spicy and alcohol.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2007
12 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with a large carbonated tan head. Smells very spicy, fruity... apples and plums. A little chocolate in the flavor too, with a sweet fruity finish. Alcohol is more detectable than I normally like... typical for the style though, so I can’t hold that against anybody.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
robinvboyer (3302) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 18, 2007
Wow, not what i was expecting. VERY dark color, huge beige head. Massive aroma of spice, caramel, brown sugar, and ripe fruit, especially figs, and plums, with a bit of a port wine quality to it. Flavour is so complex, VERY roasty, and robust, great malt, and smokiness. There is also, lots of sweet caramel, a huge ripe fruit flavour along with a very nice spiciness. Finish is again, smoky, and malty, and sweet. Wow, one of the most complex and enjoyable beers. excellent stuff!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
emotv (351) - Izmir, TURKEY - JUN 17, 2007
One of the best beer i had ever had in my life, very dark colour more like stout, heavy beautifull scent on first, if they call it ale what i drink before. One of the best of the world. Thanx again to my friend Oğuz Can.

swoopjones (6326) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2007
12oz Bottle. Murky brown with huge spicy aroma. Sweet with port like features. Dried fruit, licorice. very unique & multitudes of flavor. as it warmed up became even more flavorful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cmycoskie (23) - Georgia, USA - JUN 17, 2007
I was at Delerium bar in Brussels when I tried this. I actually didn’t buy it, but I made friends quickly with a buy beside me after I saw he ordered it. When it got to him I tricked him into me getting the first sip. Really damn good, I almost stole the bottle and ran off. But I could see he wasnt a beer enthusiast so I resisted so that he could try one one of the best beers in the world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUN 16, 2007
Poured dark brown with a nice solid head that laced well. Had an initial funky aroma followed by a touch of licorice (I think). Another thing that struck me with this beer was that it was so smooth. Slightly on the sweet side, but just very well balanced. Full bodied, and amazing well contained given the abv. Great beer that I’d love to see exported to these shores.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
USFCycling (14) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 15, 2007
WOW is all i can say about this beer. It is by far my favorite beer under 10 bucks. Pours a lot of foam, but a very dark color. great aroma, almost like the world wide stout by dogfish head! I find the flavor very spicy and almost cinnamon or ginger like. A nice Dry, smoky finish. Great beer, definately a must try!