overall

RATINGS: 705   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Summit Extra Pale Ale is not a beer brewed only for beer snobs. Just the opposite. It’s a beer for everyone to enjoy: construction workers, stock brokers, farmers, sales people, clerks, teachers, lawyers, doctors, even other brewers. Its light bronze color and distinctly hoppy flavor have made it a favorite in St. Paul, Minneapolis and the rest of the Upper Midwest ever since we first brewed it back in 1986.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
fuyajo (229) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 22, 2005
I drank this beer after having several "crappy" beers beforehand. This beer tasted pretty darn good after the swill I had been drinking (it was a wedding). Nice balence of flavor, hoppy, but not overly so. I good overall pale ale, and one of the few beers I’ve found from the Twin Cities that I actually enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5757) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Bottle - courtesy of matta. Slightly hazed copper with a small off-white head. Aroma is odd. Sort of sweet but with a nice lingering bitterness hiding in there. Kind of like waffles and syrup mixed with a bunch of hops. Taste has much more fruit than expected. Slight hints of berry, sweet tangerines, and light melon. Light floral hoppiness, sweet malts, hints of maple syrup and light spices. Light toasty notes to this as well. Body is medium with moderate carbonation. Finishes more bitter than it began. Light earthy hops, mild citrus(mainly orange), toasty malts, and light spice. Pretty good stuff!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 8, 2005
Much thanks to WaWood for sending this one my way.

Poured a lovely bronze body and a bountiful white head. The aroma is crisp and biscuity… a lovely hops addition in the drying finish. Rather woodsy, hit of citrus but rounded nicely with the caramel malts… almost a hint of rye. Never giving too much of any one characteristic….
This would make for a wonderful session beer, probably one that I would buy regularly if it were available here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - AUG 2, 2005
Pours light amber with nice beige head. Well balanced citrus hop and sweet malt, in both the aroma and flavor. Great lacing. Decent APA overall.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 30, 2005
Orange body. Extremely hoppy presence in the flavor. I immediately followed this glass with Summit’s IPA and this one definitely is the hoppier of the two.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mybrainhurts (390) - North Dakota, USA - JUL 29, 2005
Well... to finish out the end of American beer month, I will sample and rate this pale ale. Mild aroma of dry hops and somewhat herbal in the nose. Juicy with mild hoppiness for flavors, certainly not over the top. Finishes out grapefruity and dry. A good example of a mild pale ale.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 12, 2005
Let me start off by admitting that I dislike pale ales in general. Having said that, this beer is pretty good. The nose was that of an evergreen that grows citrus fruits. The colour was a reddish tinge, more of an amber really. All similarities in my mind to a pale ale ended there, when I first sipped this ale. Very nice mouthfeel, not too heavy or light. The oily piney bitter taste I expected never appeared. Sure, it’s more bitter than a brown ale or a porter, but for an American Pale Ale, this was quite mild. I now have an open-mindedness to experiment more with this style, and would have no qualms about introducing it to other anti-hopheads like myself in the future.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 7, 2005
Light amber color with a decent thin head. Slight hop aroma w/ citrus. Nice dry hoppy finish. Decent

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
croutonboy (3) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUL 6, 2005 does not count
I’ve lived many places and tried many beers but I keep coming back to this one. What it lacks in distinctiveness it more than compensates for in it’s universal appeal. It always tastes good to me, regardless of weather, food-pairings, or mood. The dry-finish and clean texture make this an every day, always-in-the-fridge beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RoadTrippnGrrl (3) - USA - JUL 5, 2005 does not count
This was the pale ale that introduced me to the genre. Great for a beginner, average, but well crafted.