overall

RATINGS: 450   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
This traditional English style was originally brewed with extra hops to help it survive the voyage to India. Our IPA is enlightened by spicy herbal hops with a hint of caramel malt sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Distinctively bad. The SUmmit Extra is special, the porter is decent, but it seems to go downhill after that. This one has sour weedy hops and a darker body than it needs, producing some really off action. I guess they were trying to be different and overdid it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mikenodak (150) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - JAN 1, 2003
not my favorite style, but a tasty brew - not as good as their EPA, but surely hoppy enough

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Northernbrewer (147) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - OCT 13, 2002
I like most of Summits brews, but this is not one of them. I love the refreshing and agressive bitterness of Bellís Two Hearted, or Floydís Alpha King, but the bitterness in this brew is harsh and unpleasant. The fairly dark malt flavors do little to cut this harshness. I know they have been tweeking this one. One of these years I expect they will get it right.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
igneous1 (1492) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 4, 2002
amber color, short-lived head, sour slightly hoppy aroma. thin body with a mild hop presence at best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2003 Pours a deep amber-copper color, citrus nose, highly hopped, decent grapefruit and piney resin flavors, some what thin with a watery mouthfeel and a bit unbalanced it is lacking something. Not the best, there are much better IPAs out there, average for the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
BruceLeroy (111) - North Dakota, USA - JUL 3, 2002
Has that distinctive íSummití taste to it. That lingering saucy taste to it. To much bitterness in this one I believe. Even though IPAís are normally slightly bitter. Has a burnt aftertaste that is not very pleasant. After the last IPA I sampled (Samuel Smithís) I am quickly becoming an IPA hater. This one is drinkable, itís just not very enjoyable. I want flavor from beer, not campfire taste in my mouth. RERATE: I finally got around to drinking the rest of the six pack today, and I have to stay I didnít notice the incredible bitterness that I originally did. Seems to be a decent brew maybe it was something I ate that day or a bad bottle? Itís not stunning, but Iím going to give it a little higher rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Slightly oily in texture, but good nonetheless. Nice dry-hopped aroma/flavor. ReRate 6/25/01 Fresh bottle. Surprisingly little hop aroma. Dark red, sweetish aroma. This beer has hops, but they really arentít very pleasant. It tastes like the right ingredients are there, they just donít meld together very well. Iíve always thought that this beer was inferior to the extra pale and wanted to see if it had improved since the move to the new brewery as the extra pale had, and sadly it hasnít. I almost think that the extra pale has more hop flavor and aroma than this one, it is definitely more enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElGaucho (2188) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 2, 2002
Sweet, roasted malt aroma. Thin, frothy head. Nice, deep burnt orange hue. Good hoppy flavor, but not too strong. Nutty aftertaste. I believe they changed their label, which always adds to the, well, appearance of the bottle. I like the new label and the beer itself. As others have mentioned, a good and worthy IPA, but not among the best in the category.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
fraternie (814) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 12, 2002
The balance here is way off...a burnt caramel malt flavor is present, then the hops come in the finish and are followed by a burnt-alcohol flavor. Needs more balance, the alcohol overwhelms the hop character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Alenightlong99 (70) - Lockport, Illinois, USA - FEB 25, 2002
A decent IPA but there are better ones out there. Its worth a try though.