overall

RATINGS: 453   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
This traditional English style was originally brewed with extra hops to help it survive the voyage to India. Our IPA is enlightened by spicy herbal hops with a hint of caramel malt sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - FEB 25, 2003
Dark orange with foamy off-white head. Good Brussels lace. Floral, almost perfumy hops to the nose. First sip is sticky, syrupy. Hints of cherry (almost cough medicine flavor) sweet malts are weak and and the background. Hops is gritty, like a cough drop. A Halls Hops-flavored Montho-lyptus cough syrup.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 16, 2003
I'm quite torn on the appearance, because the color is very nice(dark, reddish brown), but the head is thin. The aroma is nice, but a little weak in my opinion. Flavor is...well...hoppy. And that's about it. Not a lot of complexity to the flavor...mostly just hops. A real hop lover might enjoy this one, but I prefer a bit more depth to the beer. However, a decent effort.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
JMerritt (1793) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - FEB 14, 2003
Wow. Talk about an unbalanced beer. The hops are pounded into this thing with no distinguishable malt to help it along. Sour bitterness throughout. One bottle of this bastard gave me heartburn, something I've never experienced because of beer before. I have no problem at all giving this a low score.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Distinctively bad. The SUmmit Extra is special, the porter is decent, but it seems to go downhill after that. This one has sour weedy hops and a darker body than it needs, producing some really off action. I guess they were trying to be different and overdid it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mikenodak (150) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - JAN 1, 2003
not my favorite style, but a tasty brew - not as good as their EPA, but surely hoppy enough

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Northernbrewer (147) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - OCT 13, 2002
I like most of Summits brews, but this is not one of them. I love the refreshing and agressive bitterness of Bellís Two Hearted, or Floydís Alpha King, but the bitterness in this brew is harsh and unpleasant. The fairly dark malt flavors do little to cut this harshness. I know they have been tweeking this one. One of these years I expect they will get it right.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
igneous1 (1495) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 4, 2002
amber color, short-lived head, sour slightly hoppy aroma. thin body with a mild hop presence at best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2003 Pours a deep amber-copper color, citrus nose, highly hopped, decent grapefruit and piney resin flavors, some what thin with a watery mouthfeel and a bit unbalanced it is lacking something. Not the best, there are much better IPAs out there, average for the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
BruceLeroy (111) - North Dakota, USA - JUL 3, 2002
Has that distinctive íSummití taste to it. That lingering saucy taste to it. To much bitterness in this one I believe. Even though IPAís are normally slightly bitter. Has a burnt aftertaste that is not very pleasant. After the last IPA I sampled (Samuel Smithís) I am quickly becoming an IPA hater. This one is drinkable, itís just not very enjoyable. I want flavor from beer, not campfire taste in my mouth. RERATE: I finally got around to drinking the rest of the six pack today, and I have to stay I didnít notice the incredible bitterness that I originally did. Seems to be a decent brew maybe it was something I ate that day or a bad bottle? Itís not stunning, but Iím going to give it a little higher rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heykevin (1275) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Slightly oily in texture, but good nonetheless. Nice dry-hopped aroma/flavor. ReRate 6/25/01 Fresh bottle. Surprisingly little hop aroma. Dark red, sweetish aroma. This beer has hops, but they really arentít very pleasant. It tastes like the right ingredients are there, they just donít meld together very well. Iíve always thought that this beer was inferior to the extra pale and wanted to see if it had improved since the move to the new brewery as the extra pale had, and sadly it hasnít. I almost think that the extra pale has more hop flavor and aroma than this one, it is definitely more enjoyable.