Summit Unchained 01 German Style Kölsch

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 37   MEAN: 3.18/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
It is Summer time once again, and the inaugural brew in Summit’s Unchained series is about to be released. What better beer for hot summer weather than a Kölsch: light, balanced, crisp and refreshing with a slight fruitiness? Sounds good to me; that is why I was chosen to formulate the recipe for our version of this unique German ale style.

BustedFlat's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - OCT 2, 2009
Poured golden with a medium white head. Light hoppy aroma. Taste has a nice malt base with floral hops present. Some bitterness. In general clean and easy drinking. Light beer with a little extra taste and bitterness. Solid summer session beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
arminjewell (5994) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 27, 2011
Golden pour from bottle, white head. Aroma has some notes of grain, touch of lemon, some grass notes. Taste is some pale malt, grassy slightly citrusy hop character, working into a sweet bread finish. Not bad, flavors a bit weak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 1, 2010
From Summit Brewing’s unchained series comes their Kolsch-style, a beer gift from my sister and her hubby, Josh. This will make my second foray into the world of Kolsch, the Reissdorf Kolsch being my first. Brilliantly clear golds fill my glass under a cotton puff of white. Her head is rocky, puffy, and just the way I like it. I may not be drinking my Kolsch out of a stange, but she is beauteous nonetheless in my pilsner glass. Freshly baked breads and mulled grains fill my nose while whole wheat cracks, rye seeds spice, and honeycomb finishes in a delicate kiss. Delicious, and I haven’t even tasted her yet. A final cloud of whole wheat flour, and I dip awaiting lips into my awaiting golden bounty of Kolsch-style delights. Light, soft, and frothy, if I didn’t know any better, I would think I had just bitten into a fresh loaf of artisan bread. Whole wheat with a touch of cracked wheat spice and a super soft mouthfeel finishes with a flickering presence bitter grass and pith. Licking my lips, I rediscover the honey I visited in her nose, and quaffing deep once more, a subtle kiss of honey glazes the top of my delicious hunk of fresh whole wheat bread. Nummers. Complex by no means, but full, rich, and satisfying. If I was in Cologne right now, I’d be in a Kolsch garden surrounded by blue-tied waiters bustling too and fro, kranzes filled with shimmering Kolsch stanges, and a permanent grin planted on my face.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - APR 19, 2010
Thanks, bro! Pours a gold color with a thin soapy head. Aroma is light citrus, grassy hops, and bready malts. Taste is grassy hops, light citrus, light corn, and grains. Easy drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Juelze (1137) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 29, 2010
Pours a semi hazy gold color with thin white bubbly head. Aroma is grassy hops, light yeast, sour dough bread and light citrus. Taste is light grassy hops, light bread and light fruit notes. Palate is full bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit if a grain tang in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sthlm (1224) - Iowa, USA - MAR 13, 2010
[Bottle] Pours deep amber with a decent white head. Aroma is very weak--mainly biscuity malt and a little sugar cookie dough. Taste is biscuit again with decent bitterness. Not a whole lot going on. Medium mouthfeel, good finish. Not a bad beer; drinkable, and it did start to grow on me as it warmed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
WisconsinBeer (704) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 30, 2010
Bottle. Pours a deep yellow with decent carbonation. Minimal head. Flavor is light, crisp, and straight to the point. Basic pale malts accompanied by the bittering slightly metallic German hop finish. Light bodied and dry. A simple summer sipper, well done for the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Tripplebrew (774) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 30, 2010
Pours a clear lemon yellow with mild white frothy head. Aroma is very yeasty with a lot of citrus/lemon coming through. Flavor is definite mix of hay and lemon. Very grassy. Body is light with mild carbonation as well.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 24, 2010
In the bottle from HyVee CB. Pours a dark gold with a medium creamy white head. This smells precisely like an American macro. The flavor is not strongly true to style. I’d swear that there are adjuncts in this. Finishes a bit like a kolsch with the distinct harsh tongue bite.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
TomDecapolis (4427) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - JAN 9, 2010
Thanks to hopdog for sharing this batch 1 bottle. Pours a translucent golden with little to no head. Aroma of creamed corn, light hops, citrus and floral notes. Flavor of corn, cereal grains, grassy and citrusy hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hopdog (8773) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2010
12oz bottle acquired in trade. Poured a medium and clear golden color with virtually no head. Aromas of grains, ’sweaty’, and some lighter citrus. Tastes of the same graininess, citrus, and bready.