Surly Bourbon One

overall

RATINGS: 45   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BBB63 (6019) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - NOV 5, 2007
FoBAB 2007: Okay this came initially highly recommended but by the time I got around to tasting it word as gotten around that this was not up to par from those who had it before... I was not going to rate it but since I rated all those other Surly brews which I enjoyed, I figured it would only be fair to do so.

Deep mahogany hue with a solid creamy head. The nose was extremely bourbon laden, massive booze, oak, and vanilla character. If the base was a dopplebock, I sure was unable to find any trace of it. The flavor was not much better, between the alcoholic nature and the overbearing sweetness (honey, vanilla, coconut) it was just way overboard and not enjoyable in the least bit. A gentleman next to me dumped his out after two sips and proclaimed it was the only beer he did that to at the fest.

But hey, 3 out of 4 ain’t too shabby and I still look forward to trying more Surly brews in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
drewbeerme (3879) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 4, 2007
on tap at FoBAB V: pours auburn with tan head. nose of oak, vanilla, coconut. flavor really sweet, nutty, and sticky, tobacco, banana. weird stuff and i’m not into it.

BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 2, 2007
ABR 2007. Dark color with no head. More bouron on the nose with a port like character to it. Similar body and much smoother than expected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
joebrew (608) - Farewell Minny; Hello Puyallup, Washington, USA - OCT 8, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2009 Draft ABR 07. This was the best version of One they did. Very prevalent dark fruit on the nose with a good dose of vanilla, chocolate, and raisens. Very nice vinous mouthfeel that finishes sweet but not overpoweringly sweet. Great beer! Edit: tried on tap at Winterfest 2009. This beer continues to get better. I will go as far as to say this is the best Bourbon beer I have ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
KAF (448) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - OCT 2, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2009 This is one of the greatest things I have ever tasted! I waited for 25 minutes to get this beer at the Autumn Brew Review but I would have waited much longer. Darker brown in color. Not as strong of a bourbon aroma as I expected. Very sweet with a little hint of chocolate. Tried again at Winterfest 09’ and it is still amazing!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tennisjoel (1169) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - OCT 1, 2007
Autumn Brew Review ’07
I waited in a long line for this beer, not expecting to be wowed by it. I expected the bourbon to make this a sweet syrupy mess. But I was wrong. The bourbon and regular one notes (mainly vanilla, dark fruit) complimented each other extremely well. This was my favorite Surly at the event (that said, I didn’t try the last special release 2007 Darkness as I figured I’d be able to sample at a later date and didn’t want to wait in the long line for it).

Skyview (5177) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - OCT 1, 2007
Sampled on draught at the ABR 07 in Minneapolis, MN. Pours an opaque dark brown with a fast dissolving tan head that disappears clean. Aroma of stronger coconut/bourbon than the barrel aged Bender with some alcohol and dark chocolate. Taste is smooth, creamy, semi-sweet with a dark raisin, plums and bourbon flavors. Finish is just as sweet as it tastes. Some vanilla and coconut, but mostly bourbonized dark raisins would best describe this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sthlm (1230) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2007
[Draft, ABR ’07] Pours dark brown with light tan head. Once again, the aroma is strongly of bourbon, although sweeter this time. The taste is also strongly of bourbon and very sweet, with malt and some alcohol evident. Medium-thick mouthfeel. Long finish. Too strong of bourbon once again, but this wasn’t too bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 14, 2007
Tap @ GTMW. Translucent and cherry mahogany in color with grey galaxy wisps for the head. Sweet bourbon takes the nose with cocoa crèmes laced with jim and caramel. An alcohol vibe rises to greet the base breaded allotment. Flavor phenomenally balances a European cookie crumble character while caramel bourbon blends with gentle, subtle carbonation, allowing the toffee and chocolate like bark to shine. Soothing, warming butterscotch booze slithers through the heath toffee graham cracker base to personify how a barrel can compliment a bready base. Morsels within the chocolate bourbon crème truffles melt in the mouth. The bock smack is positioned perfectly upon the palate while bourbon maple fudge glides on through the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - AUG 14, 2007
GTMW. A sample procured for me by my good friend. Thanks! I enjoyed this, but I thought the Livery’s bourbon doppelbock to be the better of the two that day. Palate is vanilla and oak with cane syrup, dark rum, some banana, and Rainier cherry. Fairly thick for a doppelbock. A bit excessive on the bourbon (and the reason I thought Livery’s better, as there was more balance with beer and barrel). Nicely done, and perhaps we’ll see this again at FoBAB this fall?