overall

RATINGS: 931   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.21   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
This massive Russian Imperial Stout brings waves of flavors; chocolate, cherries, raisins, coffee, and toffee. We add a touch of hops to make this delicious brew even tastier. 85 IBUs. Labels:

’07 = Grim Reaper
’12 = Werewolf
’13 = Hell Demon
’14 = Harpy

IlanMan (1015) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 10, 2009
On tap at The Great Taste of the Midwest. Unbelievable can only begin to describe this beer heavenliness. A rich dark pour with an aroma of rich chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt, and toffee was enough to tell me that this was going to be a really good brew. The thick and rich body, accompanied by the best tasting stout I have ever had, made this the best BEER I have ever had. I would go far out of my way to get more of this for it was made so incredibly well. Wow!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
HopsLOVE (6) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - DEC 17, 2010 does not count
This is a very smooth beer, it smells of pine, citrus, chocolate, very black beer, the head was very big, overall this beer is of top quality, would love to have it again!!:)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
kathouse (1015) - Nevada, USA - OCT 16, 2013
My new number one beer. The aroma on this beer alone is worth the effort to find it. Smooth roasted malts, vannilin, and a deep espresso flavor are followed by deep red fruits and a tad bit of sweetness. I will chase this beer across the country. Fantastic!

fitwitchik (318) - USA - NOV 11, 2013
Poured from a 2011 bomber autographed from the artist into a snifter a pitch black motor oil with a nice tan head that when swirled gets impressive. The aroma is of thick figgy cocoa & light hops. Smells sweet & so flavorful. Taste of syrupy dark fruits, chocolate caramel in boozy love. Thick on the palate & exceptionally smooth. This is my second time I have had a 2011. As an avid DL fan this is the closest to perfection one can get.

andyhwcinc (1444) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2013
Enjoyed on tap at Northdown Cafe in Chicago, IL. I've been wanting to have this for years and am happy that I have the holiday day off to go out of my way to have this. First sip reaction - that's incredible. Appearance is pitch black, oil like consistency, large frothy dark tan head that laces to the glass. Aroma is rich in coffee, toffee, raisins, and light almost citrusy hops. Taste has a fantastic chocolate profile, not syrupy, but that consistency which may be an attribute of the fruity characteristics. The cherry / raisin / plum aspects are incredible. It's very smooth as well which is surprising....other RIS brews are fantastic but more of 'sippers', where I could see myself having more than one of these. Very happy that I had this one, definitely one of the best for the style which is probably why it's so sought after. I don't know if it gets a perfect 5 though, and I don't know why. I may bump it up in the future if I get it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
timjr2500 (3) - Boerne, Texas, USA - DEC 28, 2013 does not count
Creamy, dark, slight bourbon and nut nose but dark chocolate, toffee and cream flavor. So damn delicious.

gnoff (7844) - Mölndal, SWEDEN - JAN 24, 2014
2012 bottle (750 ml) thanks to Sgt. B / Brian (not on ratebeer). On January 24, 2014.
Clear black color with some dark red to brown in it, big fluffy light brown head. Sweet, vanilla, raisin scent. Sweet, raisin, malty taste. Grainy, sweet, chocolate aftertaste. Full rich mouthfeel, medium bitterness.
Fantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Erdinger2003 (127) - West Union, Iowa, USA - DEC 16, 2007
Bottle 237 Poured into Darkness glasses bought at Darkness Day. Pours a great brown/tan head with a great lacing and great retention. Black in color letting no light in whatsoever. Smell is hoppy with a good coffee background. The first smell when putting glass to nose was chocolate, then the hoppy/roasty flavor balanced out. The mouthfeel was unbelievably smooth and full bodied. Overall, I loved it. Was a great experience from sitting in the cold to drinking it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hillfiiiiire (323) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 20, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2008 Originally tried this on tap, but am rating the 2007 bottle here. It’s pitch black with a wonderfully creamy tan head that leaves great lacing. The aroma is roasted coffee and chocolate and dark fruit. The smell of alcohol seems more pervading here than when I had it on tap through. The flavor is so much. I can taste Furious hops with roasted chocolate malts with coffee hints and sweet malts. It’s so good. This is by far the smoothest beer I’ve ever had. Velvety smooth. The finish leaves a nice pleasant bitter. This is easily the best beer I’ve had thus far. I only wish I had more of it to drink. 2008 re-rate. This stuff smells so sweet. Hops and sweet candy fruit. Flavor is so sweet and hoppy. You really have to drink this stuff fresh, or it just becomes average otherwise.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
crowderm (382) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 20, 2008
The beer pours a thick black with a small dark tan head that dies very slowly. The aroma is awesome - chocolate, dried citrus, figs, caramel, and a hint of coffee. The taste is unreal. This must be the most flavorful beer I have ever tasted. A wave of citrus, and sweet, dark dried fruits hits the tongue first, followed by a chocolate and roasted malt with dry, slightly bitter malty coffee finish. The palate is thick and creamy, nothing too unique here, but perfect for the style. Overall this has got to be the best beer I’ve ever tasted. Congrats to Omar, Todd and the rest of the Surly crew for creating a real masterpiece.