overall

RATINGS: 1218   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 99   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Like Hops? Youíll like this fire-hued beer. This is the beer I have always dreamed of making. This is the beer that would come to mind while spending the last two years tearing down walls, hanging sheetrock, moving kegs, power washing the ceilings, arguing with various agencies, and cutting the water main. Without Golden Promise malt, made by family-owned Simpsons Malt, Furious would just be pissed offed. From Scotland, this malt is still produced in the tradition of turning over the barley by hand, resulting in a malt that is unsurpassed in its quality. Golden Promise is also used extensively by premium whisky distilleries such as The Macallan. This malt provides the backbone for the intense hop character. Four American hop varieties are used at a rate of over three pounds per barrel. The result is a rich malt sweetness infused with bright hop flavor and aroma from beginning to end. Oh yeah, itís about 6% alcohol and around 100 IBUs.

incutrav (577) - Woodbury, Minnesota, USA - MAY 11, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2007 Holy hopness! Ya, like everyone says, its a hoppy mess, but tasty once you get past the puckering you do after a sip. Enjoyed more then a few 4oz. shots of this at Arborfest, where Furious won best brew, which i voted for by the way. Nice color, great taste, not for everyone for sure, but thats why its called furious and not Miller. One of my top five brews of all time. UPDATE! Just bought this last week at the liquor store! It is of course now in cans, glorious CANS! It was just as great out of a can, they want you to pour it into a glass, which i did for the first few, but then i got lazy and just shot gunned them strait from the aluminum, and was not disappointed! ALSO i have upped my rating to the PERFECT 5...i have tried a ton of IPAís in the last couple months, and none of them are as great as ol Surly

Mrthirstyneck (341) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 1, 2006
my my my....a top 5 beer i say myself. A hoppy route to be sure. pours a great burnt orange. nice head a flavor explosion in my mouth bitter to no end but finishes tasty. a weaker man might be put down by this brew but not this guy. huge fan. now in cans of four packs this beer loses nothing in a can and fillsa pint glass to the brim. Go and get this beer puts most hoppy beers ive had to shame.

TwoDudes (77) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 1, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2009 Quite simply the best American IPA I have ever had. The one thing that stands out is what I can only describe as "juicy" hops. Maybe it was the exquisite balance of the beer, with the malt adding some sweetness, but it almost seemed like I was biting into a fresh apricot, or one of the other citrus fruits that came out. Absolutely remarkable. Two Hearted, Alpha King...Sorry. Your reign is over. Long live Furious!!!!

Fidel67 (2) - Illinois, USA - DEC 14, 2009 does not count
This beer is awesome!!! An IPA that is perfectly balanced with malt and hops. I sit back and am mesmorized by this beer. Perfect in every way.

happilysurly (10) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2010
I am biased. I love this beer so much that it is the beer by which I measure all others. The aroma is a delightful bitter floral grapefruit. Color is beautiful reddish brown. Taste is a fantastic bitter grapefruit that lingers for minutes. Full boddied rich IPA. Just awesome.

yesyouam (1016) - Fairport, New York, USA - SEP 27, 2010
Surly Furious is a very clear copper ale with a dense khaki head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a huge, fresh hop aroma with pine and grapefruit bust bursting out. It smells juicy and fruity. Itís pretty full bodied and super smooth. The hops leave the tongue a touch singed. Oh, this is nice and bitter and hoppy. Thereís a nice full hop flavor here. Itís along the lines of Nugget Nectar or Hop Stoopid, but less sweet and more piney. Itís perfectly balanced. After almost 800 beer ratings, this is the best rating yet. This IPA is perfect in almost every way. The can keeps it fresh. I wish I could buy this in Upstate New York!

Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - DEC 30, 2010
This is as near perfection as they come. I want to bathe in this. Beautiful amber pour with a medium head. Thick lacing. The bitterness hits you in the head and begs you to drink more. How could this have come out of a can!

shadrach103 (1) - Illinois, USA - OCT 8, 2011 does not count
I live in Chicago and I might very well drive to Minnesota just to stock up on Furious. This is hands-down my favorite beer of 2011.

dyl4n (4) - - MAR 1, 2012 does not count
Best beer Iíve ever had hands down. Iíll change my rating if I ever drink a better beer. But until I do, this one canít be beat in any category.

Langsetm (4) - Excelsior, Minnesota, USA - FEB 3, 2013 does not count
Seriously obsessed with this beer--especially as a Minnesotan. Makes ya proud. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone