overall

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Brewed July 2006 with a blend of 7 different malts and candi sugar. This is our first in a series of anniversary beers. Look for something unique from Surly every new year. We let Todd brew whatever he wants for this series. Yikes! Only 10 barrels of this beer are available. Notes of licorice, vanilla, plum, raisins, and malt. 9% abv, 28 IBU, Color--tawny brown.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 26, 2007
RBSG 07 at the brewery. Dark brown body with red hints and fain head by the time I got my sample. Sweet fruit nose. sweet malty body with a sugary finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
1FastSTi (3334) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 26, 2007
RBSG 2007. Tap at the brewery. Pours to a glowing ruby brown body with a tall lasting creamy tan head. Beer attempts to lace but cannot. The aroma is dark fruits and lager yeasts. Some crisp 2-row malt. The flavor is extremely malty with lots of creamy caramel and light nougat. Sweet sugary malts meet light tobacco. The palate is sweet, viscous, and full bodied. Lightly tart and it has a lingering sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
islay (1078) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 25, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2007 Approximately 4 or 5 oz. pour on tap at the Surly Brewing Company brewery tour as part of the RateBeer Summer Gathering in the Twin Cities, MN on June 23, 2007. Thanks to Omar (MrSurly) for the free sample. I thought I had missed this one and would never get the chance to try it. When I heard that Omar was busting out some "RateBeer favorites" for a special tasting after the tour during the Summer Gathering, I was hoping this would be one of the ones featured (no pun intended). While everyone else was drooling over the possibility of trying Darkness, I was drooling over the possibility of finally trying One. (Darkness is awesome, but I had tasted it for the second time just a few days before). My wish was granted. And oh by the way, the tour, general tasting, and RBSG tasting at the brewery were a blast! <P>Yeasty, floral aroma that is less sweet than I expected. Vanilla scent. Chocolate hints. Certainly not hoppy. Pours a clear, red/amber-brown with a moderate amount of light tan / dark beige head. Produces extensive lacing. Sweet, sugary taste. Fruit punch and berry juice flavors. Reminds me of Barley John’s Barrel-Aged Rosies Ale (Batch 2), which I had tried the previous day; One, however, is not as strong. Perhaps a tad too sweet, if I have one complaint, but by no means offensively sweet. A touch of hops in the finish. Liqueur-like. Very smooth, syrupy, and sticky in the palate. Full-bodied; amazingly thick for a lager (thickest lager I’ve ever had). Could stand to be a bit crisper; otherwise, I would have given it a perfect score in the palate segment. If I didn’t know this was a lager, I would have sworn it was a sweet barley wine. One is strong across the board and yet another success from Surly, which has quickly and rightfully earned a reputation as one of the best breweries in the world.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2007
Omar generously poured this for all of us at the RVSG 2007. It was very dark ruby, not quite brown with a small head of tan. Sweet ripened fruit and brown sugar. Not very carbonated but good tasting with a good body. Mostly sweet with some more ripened fruit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Skyview (5154) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - APR 18, 2007
I remember standing in line at the brewery in Brooklyn Center at 10 am on that very cold Saturday February morning hoping to get one of the Growlers of One. When the brewery finally opened their doors at 12 noon, I was told that only 29 growlers were packaged for that Saturday Gowler Day. Since I was #30 in line, you can guess how I fared out that day. Luckily it would be two months later when I got to try Surly’s One Anniversary brew. Fresh, on tap at the Blue Nile in Minneapolis, (thank you Pigfoot!) Surly One pours a dark cola density brown with virtually no foam head and very low carbonation. Only a sparcely, oily white film appears at the top. Aroma is intense sweet with scents of raisin, overly ripe figs, sweet apple juice, brown sugar, plums, and some black cherry. Flavor is smooth and silky with enormous about of candy sugar and an aftertaste of roasted hazelnuts. Very thick and chewy. Hard to say if this is an American Dark Lager. It’s somewhere between a doppleock and a sweet Belgian dark ale. Happy First Anniversary Surly! Happy to have shared this with you.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - APR 1, 2007
Dark Brown With Red Hue and a White Ring. Sweet Syrup and Cranberry Aroma. A Childhood Memory of Cap’n Crunchberries Comes to Mind. Medium to Heavy Mouthfeel. Sweetly Potent and Syrupy. Dark Fruit...Noticeable Alcohol, But Not Overly So. Nice Dry Ending...Wondefull Creamy Depth to This Brew..Similar to Darkness, in that Respect. Very Nice Overall. I hope the First Anniversary Comes Back Every Year!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
marchcow (664) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - MAR 10, 2007
On tap at the Acadia Cafe. Pours a rich dark brown with roasted malt aroma. Small head. Flavor is sweet camelized malt. Very dirnkable. Thick mouthfeel, slightly syrupy. Good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2007
Out of the first of two growlers. Pours the darkest of dark browns, smallish tan head. This growler seems to be a little flat. I had it at the Nile a while ago, remember it being more carbonated. Anywhoo, nice sweet aroma, not overly strong, raisins, fruit, caramel. Nice sweetness, good mouthfeel. May rerate when I crack the second growler, may not.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
JK (4377) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2007 The least impressive Surly beer to date. A sweet and malty beer, and unusual for Surly, no hops. I do sense some smoke and peat. Amber color. I would sum this up as a sweet dunkel witih amped up abv.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
11thMan (20) - Dennison, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2007
On tap at the Happy Gnome, a very good brew. Hints of fig and raisons. very sweet, but in a good way. Would of been better if served a bit warmer, but still a great beer!