overall

RATINGS: 368   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Itís been said; "Itís easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surlyís a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day, itís just a beer. If you like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanboys grab it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ggilkay (2) - Duluth, Minnesota, USA - DEC 9, 2014 does not count
Just a great IPA from Surly. Everyone is all about the Surly Furious and for good reason. However, I would take this beer over Furious any time. First time I had it was on tap straight from the brewery. I was extremely happy with my selection. I donít get it often, but it is difficult to resist when I see it on tap!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
constablerc (4) - Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2013 does not count
This is not the in-your-face hop slap you get with most Surly brews. Hops in the nose and definitely hops on the tongue. Hops lean towards the piney. But the hops aren't the only show. Decent malt base. Good body with some substance, not thin. Leaves the lips a bit sticky. This is an IPA that could easily be a session. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pablo951 (479) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 9, 2013
Had it out of a can, and it was deeelicious!! A subtle but firm aromatic hop taste with notes of citrus and pine. Pours a hazy orange hue with a good head and uneven lacing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TomDecapolis (4591) - Milton, Delaware, USA - OCT 22, 2013
Pours a hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white lacing head. Aroma of fresh American hops. Lots of orange zest, tropical fruits and floral character. Flavor of fresh American hops. Touch of biscuity malt. Smooth bitterness. Floral, citrusy and piney! Not quite Topper but might be as close as you can get from another canned IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
juicyhops (48) - Grayslake, Illinois, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Pint can. Delicious west coast IPA. Smells like a handful of fresh hops. Golden with a delicate white head. Citrus hop flavors dominate in a silky smooth body. The best Iíve had from this brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nephilium (1453) - Ohio, USA - JUN 10, 2014
Big punch of citrus and pine hops to start with, Pours a nice amber with a slight haze, and a tight white head. If youíre not a hop head, back away from this one. Itís a big hoppy beast, with moderate body, and a long lingering bitter finish. Itís missing the slick mouthfeel that can come with lots of hop use, but itís a damn fine beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerKurve (509) - - APR 8, 2013
Pours a very clear dark orange color with tons of lacing on the sides. Has a strong aroma of Citrus, Grapefruit, and Piney Hops; Almost like a Wet Hop scent. The flavor has a strong sweet citrus & piney hops taste to it; The flavor reminds me of Surly Wet. Heavy Body and carbonation is relatively moderate. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and makes me glad that I have access to such great beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - APR 9, 2013
From a 4 pack. Aroma is a nice piney resiny scent touch of citrus also. Flavor is nice and hop forward pine comes right through followed by citrus and grapefruit, very bitter up front and then calms down. Huge fan of this beer!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikedR (1454) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - APR 27, 2013
Surprisingly light yellow clear pour, with a perfectly sized white head. This is billed as West Coast style, which it is in its bitter hoppy taste that stays with you. However, I've had more bitter IPAs, and moreso, this beer is more balanced than I had expected -- thick mouthfeel and a nice malty base. I would call it a balanced IPA with an emphasis on bitter. Will please both hopheads and those looking for a more complex IPA. Recommended highly! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bestbrew1 (60) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 15, 2013
Not a big fan of malty beers but this one is another solid beer from Surly. Not my favorite of their beers but itís still good. Itís too bad they couldnít use the rainbow and unicorn on the can.