overall

RATINGS: 437   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A smoked Baltic Porter. Aged in oak barrels for several months.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MIBRomeo (2492) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 10, 2008
Black pour dark tan head, thick lacing. Full palate very well coated. Great flavor of smoked ham or really a prosciutto, some sweet sugars almost syrups come through as well. Smoked salmon aroma definate meats, rich, light alcohols, smoke is light but present in all phases. This is the best smoked beer I’ve ever tasted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
isaacever (3) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2011 does not count
I havenít had a lot of Rauchbier, but I had this at the brewery and bottled and highly recommend both.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
XmnwildX12 (2078) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - JUN 18, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2012 Has a killer smoke scent, and a very pleasing smokey meat like flavor. Perfect for a camp fire.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
craftycarl21 (2135) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 11, 2012
Draft at the Surly event at Churchkey. Black pour with a big, tan head. Nose starts with that gorgeous meaty smoke character, then shifts to beautiful plum and fig dark fruit presence characteristic of the baltic porter it is, then finally finishes with dry, bitter roast at the end, with a creamy palate throughout. This progression seemed to happen on both the nose and the tongue, which was just awesome. An outstanding beer, perhaps better even than Darkness and Five which I had right next to it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
andyhwcinc (1347) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 30, 2013
Purchased at Binnyís in Chicago, IL; enjoyed at home alone relaxing prior to the NYE holiday. This was an $18 bottle and I was hesitant to get it, but Iím happy that I did. Appearance is a murky pitch black with a rich but quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is fantastic...oak, smoke, chocolate, and vanilla, itís rich but not potent. Taste is equally fantastic. I feel like the oak takes away the harshness of the smoked malt but retains a nice flavor, mixed with the chocolate and vanilla. There is a licorice element in this as well. Overall itís pretty great and Iím happy that Iíve had it. Very happy that Surly is in Illinois!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerIsMyGod (16) - Arizona, USA - FEB 6, 2014
Served in a bulb glass, very pillowy mocha head. Deep ruby in color and a mellow feel in the mouth. Tastes of an open wood fire with chocolate and toffee notes. I am a fan.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2156) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 27, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2008 1/12/08: Re-rate. Draught at Blue Nile, Mnpls. Night and day difference in smoke aspect from my original sampling. Where the version at Chef Paulís was lacking in smoke, this time smoke was very evident. Hints of smoke in the nose. Fully opaque with a tan ring. Caramelly, smoky goodness. An awesome brew; so good that just as I finished it, Surly owner Omar Ansari, walked in to the bar, "forcing" me to have another.

12/27/07: Draught at Chef Paulís Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL. I suppose I really didnít need to go to the tapping of Surly Smoke in the Western suburbs of Chicago on the eve of my moving back to the Twin Cities, where Iím sure itís quite plentiful. Nevertheless, it gave me a chance to sample the good German fare at Chef Paulís as well as see bwkrieger before leaving. Had the Oak Aged version as "Dahmer" at FoBab a couple of months ago and thought it was excellent. This brew too, is outstanding. Lactose in the nose with some hop, but no hint of smoke. Opaque body with a tan head and some lace. This is a sweet beer. Hop is pronounced, or is the distinctive finish from the yeast variety? Almost got a 10 from me in flavor. Sweet and chocolaty. Both my kids liked it. Has some chocolate milk character I guess. A little overly sweet for my tastes, but this is such an exceptional brew that it didnít hinder my enjoyment of it. Again, not sure why they call it "Smoke"; thereís little to no smoke flavor evident. Ar 8, Ap 3, Fl 9, Pal 5, Ov 18
Earlier Rating: 11/9/2007 Total Score: 4.3
FoBaB í07. Billed as Oak Aged Dahmer. One of my favorite beers at the 5th Annual Festival of Wood and Barrel-aged Beer held at Goose Island Wrigleyville. Roasted coffee aroma. Fully opaque, black body with a thin tan head. Wonderful brew. Has a hop finish. Smooth, with an oak finish. Subtle nut and oak.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mrthirstyneck (341) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 10, 2008
this is good. as stated below, not as smoky as it was originally, (dahmer) while many disagree THIS is a different beer than originally debuted at ABR. the dahmer version WAS NOT OAK AGED! it was much smokieer than the oak aged version. I happen to find both versions delectable. drink this a bit warm and the aroma and flavor really flourish!
Earlier Rating: 10/17/2007 Total Score: 4.4
this stuff is phenomenal beer. might be my new favorite surly once the oak aged stuff cmes out huge smoke flavor and great aroma awesome beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 21, 2008
GABF 08: Thin, smokey nose in a meaty, slightly tangy way off this dark, almost black beer. just a halo of suds restrained the thick, mealty, chocolate, smokey flavors from escaping...This has a nice balancing hop character behind it as well. Definite smoke Bomb. Definitely meaty. Very well done!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2010
I would really say this is more of a porter then a smoked beer. I tasted some roasted flavor but not really anything too smokey.It rather sweet which I personally like. I could taste some coffee in there.