overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 132   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Surly Brewing is celebrating its sixth year by releasing our strongest beer yet - SYX. The 15% ABV Strong American Ale, aged on six different types of wood and features some demonic artwork by Michael Berglund on the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
nsquishee (625) - Richfield, Minnesota, USA - AUG 3, 2012
I would say this is like a triple or quadruple IPA with slightly less malting and thickness than you would expect. Huge hops and fruity, citrus notes. Very boozy nose and finish. A very pleasurable sipper though, because you know you are getting good flavor combined with the intense waft of booze.

Bacterial (1879) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - AUG 3, 2012
Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a nice thick white head, a little of which will stick around as you sip. Nose is sweet, tart, fruity and bright. And then the mosh pit of flavors hits you across the face like a strong backhand from Todd (ok, Iím just imagining this, he never actually hit me). There is no style for this beer. Nothing like this has been done. The various woods used come together to balance out the sweetness of this beer/Barleywine. There is some warming, but not hot heat booze. What heat there is gets balanced out by the hops that linger. This beer has some chameleon properties, changing with temperature and with what you happen to be eating. Very unique. Some folks will hate it, some will love it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ElGaucho (2272) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 1, 2012
Tap at Republic. Glad to come across this since clearly not enough was made available in stores. Strong aroma with some sweetness. Mostly clear copper body with a lasting creamy off white head. Initial mouthfeel is a piercing, hot shot to the senses. Some sourness. Quite good. Warming. Needs some time to mellow.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wilnatp (630) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 30, 2012
Bottle. Orange pour with thin white head. Aroma of caramel, wood, fruit, and bitter. Taste is BOLD bitter almost sour fruit with some caramel and sweeter finish. Me like.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Steasy66 (1025) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 28, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2013 I thought this beer had some aging potential when it first came out but it just keeps getting worse. Odd wood acidity and ethanol is all I get, dumpster juice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
kbutler1 (1372) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 27, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2012 Bottle. Opened with much anticipation. Pours a clear amber reddish color. Slight white head. Very sweet citrus aroma, orange and grapefruit. Medium mouthfeel. Holy hot and hoppy! Sweet start that then transitions to a very hot, alcohol note. Itís like an uber hoppy ipa. Iím not so sure on this one. Iíll have to try again but this one was a mis for me right now. Maybe itíll calm down in a few years but honestly after the hops fade out a bit and booze subsides, I really am not sure what will be left.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DalzAle (2001) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUL 25, 2012
Bottle. Clear dark golden pour, very little carbonation, plenty of good lacing and an aroma of sweet artisan honey and wood. Flavor is also a very hot boozy meld of honey, wood, toffee and should mellow nicely with time. Still pretty damn hot now, but somehow it still worked for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
LamarBurton (376) - California, USA - JUL 25, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2012 After seeing a few high rates, I wanted to get some notes down on this one, from a sample I had at All Pints North (The very first sample of the day, Surly tapped all beers at gate open). Donít take this the bad way: I love Surly, I love (almost all) of their beers, and I will continue to support my local breweries. After having at GTMW (Previously 3.0) , I upgraded my rate a bit. Maybe it was because my palate was killed, maybe it was because this pour had more carbonation, but I enjoyed this significantly more than the pour at ABR. ~2oz pour to a taster yields a clear copper gold body with no noticeable head, just a few soapy bubbles. Viewed from the side, it is obvious that this beer is THICK, what carbonation streamers there are seem to fight to reach the surface. The aroma is fairly nice, with lots of big caramel and toffee notes, backed with a bunch of floral honey, and a fair bit of booze. Wood is just barely present, not at all what I would have expected for this beer. The taste....well, I really enjoyed the first sip. Lots of liquid caramel (almost like LME), a slug of that same floral honey, with some indescribable wood more prevalent. Some more bready malt character, but really dominated by the caramel, toffee, and floral character. A bit of hop bitterness on the finish. Fair bit of alcohol burn that warns me off that second sip, but what the heck. Second sip is downright cloying, with a weird mix of sugar and booze. Floral and wood character still present, but are being overtaken by the palate coating sugar and booze. By the third sip, I was having a really tough time with this one, and didnít end up even finishing my sample. The mouthfeel was thick and syrupy, with a tongue coating finish and a retro-nasal burn. More carbonation, more restrained alcohol, and a more balanced profile in general would have been nice in this one. With all this said, I did go out and buy two bottles on the day of the release, and will look forward to seeing if this one sorts itself out in 2-3 years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - JUL 24, 2012
Poured from 750ml bottle to brandy snifter: Pours a bright pear/ruby gold with strings of slow, steady beading. A finger of starch white head fades off to a paper thin collar after a few minutes that laces perfectly through thick oily booze legs. Syrupy hop density on the nose... the alcohol presence is a bit more obvious than others have reported. Sweet cinnamon fruit qualities, apple and grape. Evolving with every degree. What a big, complex smelling beer this is. Holy hell... not quite as reserved on the tongue. Giant boozy sweet punch up front. Orange cream soda with caramel apple and plum accented with a sting of booze. Fresh vanilla wood notes keep the sugary booze in check. An impressive level of balance for such an imposing drink. My first glass was poured just slightly below room temperature. The only real noticeable difference that came from the second glass, poured at around 55 degrees, is that the alcohol is much more in place. Even a greater sense of balance at this, Iíd say more appropriate, temperature. Surly delivers. Some age would do it some good but it is plenty approachable just as it is. Bravo.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheCoder (4) - - JUL 24, 2012 does not count
I am likely going to be in the minority here but I was grossly unimpressed. I loved the aroma and appearance of Syx.

The aroma was incredibly complex and you could tell this was a beast of a beer. The oak is very noticeable with some fruitiness and the alcohol is there in the nose as well (more so as it warms). The hops are quite there as well.

Appearance is a hazy amber hue with some head that doesnít last long.

Taste and palate kill it for me. There is so much going on here, the oak overpowered it for me at least when cold. There was a cluster of oak flavors that it killed most of the rest of the taste for me. However as it warmed the oak faded and you got more of the flavors of the malt but that was instantly nuked by the now prevalent alcohol burn of doom that left my mouth tingling all night.

Overall a meh for me, many other American Strong Ales when young Iíd go for instantly over this. I have many more bottles so I guess Iíll see how they age before I jump the gun and trade them all as this has massive aging potential that I hope can only help it.

I will revisit this when I give it another go in a few months.